Advice for lighting console $200 range

I don't use cue stacks. Busk everything.

Don't you think learning about the SmartFades or the Obey series would be better then just saying, "I don't support them because I don't know how to use it without a monitor.

That seems like a totally acceptable solution. ;)

Hahaha... I should say, truly that I only have 4 of them in circulation and they were all replacements for broken consoles of the same type.

If I ever sold one to someone who had never used it, I would probably try and learn it and suffer the headaches.

But every client who has come to me talking about an Obey or Show Designer has left with a Chamsys MagicQ setup. It is just that much better bang for the buck.

Mike

So I've been reading lighting console manuals and LED fixture manuals all day in order to prep for my purchase :)

I ordered the Chauvet Obey 70 board. I think I have a good grasp of how to use it. I've been drawing diagrams of my stage design as well as DMX cable runs, etc, which fixtures will be addressed where and so on, so that when I receive everything it should be pretty much plug and play, with a bit of experimenting. I have some experience with the DMX Operator board and this one seems similar and should suit our needs. The beauty of our situation is that we will be relying heavily on scenes, and I will have the liberty to put them in ahead of time. The controller will change scenes at will.

I think we will eventually be upgrading to run from a computer and like someone suggested a touchscreen. Right now, I think I made best decision for where we are at.

I would love to learn MagicQ and make this upgrade ASAP. BUT HOW DOES ONE GET STARTED??

There are a multitude of online tutorials, and a quick startup and installation guide.

I spent 4 years busking about 100 conventionals, 8 HES Studio Spots, 8 HES Studio Colors, and a dozen Seachangers on an ETC Express. It was actually very easy.

Honestly busking any number of large things is fine if you throw enough buttons at it and spend time setting it up... Something like the GMA has the distinct advantage that you can set up all your touchscreens to have vastly more buttons than you might with something like an express... but its still perfectly doable. Heck, you could probably figure it out on the obey if you had to...

Honestly busking any number of large things is fine if you throw enough buttons at it and spend time setting it up... Something like the GMA has the distinct advantage that you can set up all your touchscreens to have vastly more buttons than you might with something like an express... but its still perfectly doable. Heck, you could probably figure it out on the obey if you had to...

Yeah, it took me about two weeks to get it set up properly. But once I did it was cheese.

Yeah, it took me about two weeks to get it set up properly. But once I did it was cheese.

Vermont or the watery Wisconsin stuff? ;)

Before we get too far off topic, there are online tutorials and other resources available. This PDF might be a good place to start. Another thing is to just spend some time just playing with it actually controlling all of your fixtures. As always, you can ask any questions on here! We've answered questions as fast as a few hours!

I've found plenty of Elation Scene Setter 24 for around $200 on ebay. You just need the patience to look for what meets all of your needs, etc. The bigger boards have 512 channel capability, which is good for expansion of your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back