After long last.... new systems at my high school!

I'm curious about his existing equipment but I don't have a Facebook account, nor any other site like it. I can't see the pictures that he posted so we have some idea. I too can't believe any system that uses DMX is outdated. They need to look at upkeep in a big way.

The system was installed in 1992. That's 17 years ago. And I'm not sure about this, but I believe it was used when they got it, making it even older than the building itself. As for getting administration involved, I'm not the only person concerned with the auditorium. There are others who are in the process of informing the administrators what needs to be done, both short term and long term. As I've said before, I'm just a student, and I'm not directly involved in any of the final decision making or official planning. My only role in this is as someone who is familiar with the current system and researching different light controllers to consider for the new system.

And for those of you who can't see the pics, I'll get them posted on Photobucket or something as soon as I can.

Wow, this is sounding like a situation I'm in - John Q. Public who wants to do right by the school & needs to pressure the Administration (who know nothing about what *should* be in the auditorium) to take action.

I love the tips - do a needs analysis & work with a consultant. I've got the consultant ready to come in, but no authority to make it happen. I may be resorting to the power of the Press to get action....

Wow, this is sounding like a situation I'm in - John Q. Public who wants to do right by the school & needs to pressure the Administration (who know nothing about what *should* be in the auditorium) to take action.

I love the tips - do a needs analysis & work with a consultant. I've got the consultant ready to come in, but no authority to make it happen. I may be resorting to the power of the Press to get action....
my admins have been pressured by patrons, performers, sponsors, etc. to get stuff done. Of course, none of those who have complained are in any positions to directly get stuff done. If that were the case, all this would have been taken care of long ago. The school board is just getting the idea now that maybe, just maybe, they should do something about it.

...So someone suggested the ETC Element, so I started looking at it. I looks like it should be great for what we'd need it for. Anyone know the price tag on one of those?
See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/14141-4-200-right-element.html as well as Pricing- "How much does a _____ cost?". But it doesn't appear that an Element will solve many, if any, of the problems with the venue in question.

Certainly a snazzy new computerized lighting control console is more exciting than replacing burned-out light bulbs, but not nearly as necessary.

Last edited:
See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/14141-4-200-right-element.html as well as Pricing- "How much does a _____ cost?". But it doesn't appear that an Element will solve many, if any, of the problems with the venue in question.

Certainly a snazzy new computerized lighting control console is more exciting than replacing burned-out light bulbs, but not nearly as necessary.
I've been told we'll be getting an entirely new system, which is supposed to be compatible with intelligent fixtures. The board we have now won't cut it. The bulbs will be replaced, and hopefully properly maintained. The entire dimmer rack will be replaced. And because of someone's negligence, one of the screws holding the board together broke. So yes, a new console is necessary.

And because of someone's negligence, one of the screws holding the board together broke. So yes, a new console is necessary.
With statements like this, the first order of business should be determining who is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the new system, before considering what that system will be... Otherwise in 3 years they'll be back to where they started.

How do you break a screw on a console, anyway?

-Fred

I've been told we'll be getting an entirely new system, which is supposed to be compatible with intelligent fixtures. The board we have now won't cut it. The bulbs will be replaced, and hopefully properly maintained. The entire dimmer rack will be replaced. And because of someone's negligence, one of the screws holding the board together broke. So yes, a new console is necessary.

I'm thinking you'll probably be able to get a new screw. If that's all that's wrong with the board, shouldn't be a hard fix. Again, you haven't provided us with specifics as to what equipment you have. I sorta assume most consoles have more than one screw keeping them together, so chances are it's still operable even sans screw.

Screws are fixable. They can be drilled out, retapped. If the board works then a screw is just an excuse. Now if you want it movable ligt compatable you may need a new board but that's yet to be determined.

it wasn't the screw itself. it was one of the little tab things that the screw keeps closed so people can't stick their fingers in and play with the electronics. I'll post pictures of the board and as much of the system as I can get pics of next time I go back, which should be Dec. 5th. I won't be working, but there's a drama club show that night that I plan on going to. I'll stick around and get pics of everything i can. I'm sorry I'm being vague on details, but things like this are difficult to explain in words. Hopefully the pictures will better show everyone what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back