ahhh....feedback

Grommet

I run sound for a weekly burlesque show inside a restaurant.

The sound room is stage right attic that way i can pull curtains at the same time(long story on why that is)
there is a 5 peice band with 3 mics.
one emcee with 1 wireless mic.

It self running after the first 5 minutes. I usually have no problem with feedback.

But once a month the emcee, while wandering around tables through the house will wander too close to the speaker causing an abrupt moment of feed back.
Since i'm in an attic and can't see the house i'm the last one to hear any form of feed back creeping up or know exactly which speaker he wandered towards.

Mr. guitar player always asks me "what was that feed back?"

The only answer i have is that it was feedback.
Are there any clever ways to answer that question?

...Are there any clever ways to answer that question?
Act like you're pulling these out of your ears while saying in a deadpan tone, "I didn't hear any feedback."
proxy.php

http://www.uline.com/BL_954/Classic-Ear-Plugs-NRR-29

1. Train the emcee not to walk in front of the mains. Everyone stop laughing--I'm serious.:lol: Really.;)
2. Do you not have a monitor reflecting what is coming out of the mains?
3. Most "real" audio techs dislike these, but amateurs find them useful:
$99 http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDSP1124P,
$330 Buy dbx AFS-224 Stereo/Dual Mono Feedback Suppression Processor | Feedback Supression | Musician's Friend,
$440 Sabine FBX2400 | Sweetwater.com.

Last edited:
the emcee is conoozling with the audiece so he ends up in front of the mains no matter what.

The monitors on the stage facing the stage area have never been a problem.

The feed back occurs once every 6-8 shows. so my record of keeping it away is pretty good.
I, personally, have no problem getting more equipment. The producer does and he doesn't seem to notice the feed back so there won't be new equipment.

Its just mr. guitar guy who asks "what was that feedback?"
should i have drawings for him on of how feedback works? he's a musician with some sound gear and calls it feedback rather then screech noises.
i feel i just need something to expalin the science of feedback so he'll go away.

It sounds like just the MC walking infront of the speaker, end of story, just tell him, talk to the less interesting people in the middle. We have had simmilar problems in the past, when doing a reahearsal an actor placed her mic down infront of a speaker. I probably did 5 "DONT STAND INFRONT OF SPEAKERS" speaches, and I'm the lighting guy, no idea how many the sound guys did, but your MC probably will get the picture, it's not your fault, but the blame lands on you so it's important that you get him away from the speakers.
Nick

While proper system design and operation are always the best approach, I sometimes use such devices or automatic feedback suppression algorithms within matrix mixer/DSP units for applications where I know the users will move the mic right in front of or under speakers. However, I try to place such devices on the specific mic(s) involved rather than on the mix, it is having the processing affect the entire mix rather than just the offending source that often gives these devices a bad reputation. When dealing with just one or two mics, Sabine offers two small FBX-Solo units, one with a mic level input and one with a line level input, for this purpose rather than using one of the FBX2400 units. Insert one of those devices on the channel insert for that one mic channel and that might help.

If adding such a device to the MC's mic channel is not an option then when the feedback occurs and the guitarist asks "What was that feedback?" then simply tell him that it was the MC walking with their mic in front of the speaker. He may get it right away or he may open a door for further explanation.

Mr. guitar player always asks me "what was that feed back?" The only answer i have is that it was feedback. Are there any clever ways to answer that question?

I don't know about "clever" - but how about realistic.?.

Mr. Guitar Player; "When the emcee microphone "hears" the amplified sound of the emcee at a higher level than it is getting from the emcee him/herself - feedback is the result".

You could also add; "This can happen with any system (no matter how well designed it may be) when miked talent steps in front of or in close proximity to, the amplified sound source - in this case - the main loudspeakers". (Obviously, this feedback is especially likely when the mic is inadvertantly pointed toward a loudspeaker during these random interviews.)

This is a "dumbed down", general-purpose explanation - but it may be enough for "Mr. Guitar Player" purposes without having to deliver a detailed physics lesson.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Do a quick demonstration for all involved during a rehearsal. Walk around with the mic, with the gain set at a fixed level and cause a little feedback. They will soon understand that if the MC goes to the wrong place and you cannot see what's happening to ride the gain, there will be feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back