Alright.... I'll bite ETC....

As far as I know... they are still looking to build a team for the automated lighting division. See their job listings.
And this product has been in development for longer than ETC's been searching for the automated lighting team.

I'm gonna make a guess that based on the image they have in the ad it may be some sort of back end replacement for a Source 4 to change it to LED? But that's just a guess.
I posted the specs (as I remember them) in the second post in this thread.

I'm not saying ETC doesn't make some great products. The blind loyalty that I see a lot of people exhibit towards them does bother me though. I've met to many people that think if ETC made it then it must be the best and don't even look at other competing products. That bothers me.

My "blind" brand loyalty to ETC comes primarily from the fact that I know that if I have an issue with an ETC product, ETC will bend over backwards to repair it, and make sure that my show functions in the mean time. Their technical support is second to none.

If I have an issue with an Altman product, I'm left talking to their regional sales manager, and the entirety of the tech support I've gotten from the regional sales manager is "It's probably a bad dmx cable".

I had a broken Phillips Color Kinetics TRX earlier this year. It took me (and my vendor) three months to get phillips to a) decide the product was no longer under warranty, and b) source and send me a replacement interface board. I feel confident that if the issue had been with one my of D40's, I would have had the parts or a repair within a week. That right there is a great reason to buy ETC, in my not so humble opinion.

Looks like a spark plug to me. Maybe they're building their first car!

To my eye it looks like some kind of wireless DMX device. Perhaps going after the show baby market?

I really don't give a Crap how many people are working on it or how many labor hours it took. If the product is good, I'll buy it, if it's junk, then I won't.
Until, someone has a spec sheet or at least a demo of a prototype, adds like this are a wast of my time; at least give some useful information.

Client: "I really need to do an LED retrofit for my space. Need to have a bid in this week"
ME: "Well there are some good products from Altman or Chauvet we can use, or can you push it back a little; ETC has something new coming out soon?"
Client: "Maybe, What is it?"
ME: "The best guess right now is a spark plug."
Client: "No in that case, we can't Wait, grounds crew just ordered a gross of Champions for the lawn mowers."

Reactions: Les
Whatever it is, I still want to see improvement on the S4 Jr., A small sub-$500 LED ellipsoidal would let tons of tiny venues upgrade without worrying about added heat output or electrical draw. Also a good low budget console, like a mini element, but that's for another thread..

Some image editing reveals what seems to be a large fan...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 8.47.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 8.47.20 PM.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 346
OK, if it is a replacement lamp cap, how about taking that further. Consider the Diversitronics strobe lamp cap for those times you want to strobe your lightning bolt gobo. Which brings up the question, how effectively can you program say a Lustre 2 to strobe? Going even further, how about a quality UV lamp cap, imagine a UV fixture with framing shutters, or a S4 on a stick UV followspot? We know that LEDs can do a great UV from the Apollo Avere.

@Amiers -- The patent does actually mention a fan (item 41 in illustration 2B), toward the rear of the heat0sink assembly, about where the photograph indicates.

I'm interested in whether it will be as noticeable as some other fans in theatrical fixtures. Many companies post dB ratings of their equipment, specifically for use in studio and theater applications.

I take that back. I must of skimmed over that section. I somehow did see that it was liquid cooled. Which ironically is in the same paragraph.

From a poster on the "everything stage lighting" facebook.

"So the official release of the ETC 4wrd is tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek I got today at a CITT event.
155W power usage, dimmable down to ~5% or direct DMX control which turns off dim-ability. (Electronics need a minimum voltage to operate hence the minimum dimming level)
Directly swaps for existing ETC S4 hats with enough clearance for the bolts on your clamp to clear plus a hair when tilting (it is snug though)
List price ~$600USD
White only, no color mixing. (But reduced heat so gels will burn out slower, they WILL still burn through saturated gels though.)
Intended as a replacement/upgrade to existing fixtures for reducing power usage, not a real 'pro' LED solution like the Lustr+2 system is.
Essentially the exact same output as a 575W recently rebulbed fixture with a slightly shifted color temperature. (About 200K difference) (I do not know what specific bulb brand was in used in the comparison fixture)"

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back