Conventional Fixtures Altman 8" Fresnel R7s socket

TWVS

I have had a 8" Altman Fresnel with a R7s looking socket fall into my hands. Unfortunately, one of the prongs is broken so I need to replace the assembly. Any idea what model this is, or is it some sort of DIY mutant?

Two things, try to post a picture and PM Ship, he is the instrument ID expert.

Hmm... There are many on the website that are ID experts, I just have a larger collection. Sound like one of these I got in a few months ago?

Don't think it Altman, believe it Kliegl unless you have a Altman with say 1968 era RSC upgrade kit which would be very rare and special, but fall under the below still and ensure that you could convert it back. No name plates you can find on the Fresnel to verify what it is? Photos also help as hole patterns are specific to brands.

Could be an Altman #75 or 75Q with upgrade/downgrade to RSC but not something Altman sold.

1) Kliegl #3518/3609 8" Fresnel, c. 1978 - Texture Black: 1Kw RSC DWT/FER lamp. (Fabricated 1 Lampholder.)

Nice fixture, too bad that you can no longer get that socket any longer. There are a few I think scoops in our inventory using the same socket at this point also and I'm out of them for spares. Uses an extended RSC socket with porcelain wing shields if I am correct - and, nope.. long gone since the RSC w. Wings Altman #58-0030 Extended RSC Base for a 1Kw. Scoop part - got discontunued. Could have been a Bender & Wurth or Osram or Buhl socket, but from what I can find so far in having no more, I believe it long now discontinued #161 scoop part.

For my Fresnel, I used a standard RSC socket off a 500w work light or perhaps similar one rated for more in wattage - don't remember. What you use to replace it, depends upon your maximum wattage expected. Your lamp or S&S supplier would no doubt be able to help you find a new R-7s socket of the correct wattage rating. This than only a question of retrofitting it to bench focus up in seat height for matching to the currently working one. Some extender plates should work fine in mounting the smaller one to a higher height with some work in mounting it. A few holes, and a plate and away you go and should work fine.

Easy enough to do. After done, check on the working side for if it needs a service call also. Wouldn't be good if new socket on one side and the other side toasts lamps. On the other hand, if bad base but still good porcelain, parts should be standardized in making it and the long wing porcelain lampholder is the primary part and most valuable.
Dissembling the socket and cleaning the contact can often save a thought to be bad one - details on how to do so as RSC sockets in general suck, as with the lamps if you attemtp to re-use them. Depends much on what "bad" for one means as bad to another.

Other option is to elimate one fixture from service and make it into spare parts. I don't think that a great idea though as the socket is the part that will fail first. Another thing possible in both spare parts and upgrade as concept is perhaps the Altman 8" Fresnel socket/reflector assembly will mount inside this fixture and work? Don't know, don't own the Altman 8" Fresnel, but I think it possible an then you have a spare socket and reflector for inventory.

Doubt Altman would know either if the asembly would work. Best to find someone with Altman 8" Fresnels and see if you can borrow or rent one for a few hours in checking to see if they fit and bench focus. If at that point it works... you have a winner in a fixture that will last a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back