Altman Pegasus fresnel?

mthom

Hi all,

I'm considering two types of fixtures to replace my old 1000W and 750W flood and narrow par cans, and I'd like to hear your opinions - which one would you choose and why?

They will be used as front warm white wash lights in theatre, rock concerts, dance shows, corporate events and weddings, and (obviously) I'd like them to be as powerful and bright as possible.

The two candidates are:
1. Altman Pegasus 8"
2. Chauvet Ovation F-165WW, or ProLights EVO160F (which, by the way, can someone please explain the similarities between the two?)

PS I'm no big lighting designer, just want what's best for my business in the long run.

Thank you!

And besides that? :)

I mean, it's great that it's made in the States, but as far as I understand the output of the Chauvet/ProLights is greater, or am I wrong?

What's their failure rate? And how much do parts cost?

By the way, how about Robe's ParFect S1?

And can someone please explain the reason why half of Chauvet's Professional static wash lights look identical to M&L ProLights' catalogue?

as far as I understand the output of the Chauvet/ProLights is greater, or am I wrong?

Could be true; I haven't looked closely at the photometrics of the Chauvet fixtures (never heard of ProLights). Don't forget to look at things like color temperature/control, CRI, etc; which may be more important to you than intensity alone.

What's their failure rate? And how much do parts cost?

I don't think anyone will know the answer to this. The Pegasus has only been out a month or so.

And can someone please explain the reason why half of Chauvet's Professional static wash lights look identical to M&L ProLights' catalogue?

Happens a lot where companies "borrow" each other's case designs. Added to the fact that there's only so many ways to design a puck.

My recommendation is to get a demo of each and try them side-by-side. That's the only way to truly know which will work best in your space.

Hi Les, you should check these out then:

http://www.musiclights.it/scheda_prodotto.html?codart=3582
http://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/colorado-2-quad-zoom-tour/

http://www.musiclights.it/scheda_prodotto.html?codart=3267
http://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/ovation-f-165ww/

http://www.musiclights.it/scheda_prodotto.html?codart=3752
http://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/ovation-e-910fc/

Now what's THAT about? And that's just a few examples, there's more.

Anyway, please do share your experiences with the Chauvet Ovation F-165WW, Altman Pegasus, or Robe ParFect S1, or any other possible 750W/1000W incandescent LED replacement.

Thanks!

You're not gonna surprise me. It's a typical chicken-or-egg scenario. As @BillConnerASTC said, ProLights are probably re-branded Chauvet products. Back in the day, basically all Chinese lights came from the same factory. Some things have changed with the larger brands since then, but some cross-over is still to be expected, especially with the off-off brands like ProLights.

Please note also, the Ovation E-910FC looks strikingly similar to the Source Four ellipsoidal. Case designs are widely imitated to take advantage of popular products which users have become accustomed to. It's not right, but it does happen often (especially with the smaller/cheaper brands).

Good for you for looking for people with experiences with the fixtures. Hope you get the answers you're looking for. But don't let that take the place of getting a real demo. If you can't get your hands on a demo, don't buy the product.

Last edited:
Um.. The reason that the ovation leko looks a lot like a S4, is because it is designed to use S4 lenses, and the new lenses being manufactured by Chauvet and others are the same form factor as the S4 lenses.

Is this "right?" Yes. In short, the patent on the S4 has expired, any manufacturer would be stupid not to make fixtures compatible with the industry standard lenses.

Them's fightin' words.

The reason that the ovation leko looks a lot like a S4, is because it is designed to use S4 lenses, and the new lenses being manufactured by Chauvet and others are the same form factor as the S4 lenses.

Is this "right?" Yes. In short, the patent on the S4 has expired, any manufacturer would be stupid not to make fixtures compatible with the industry standard lenses.

While you're technically correct, the outer casing is clearly designed to look like a Source Four. Compare the Altman Phoenix - also compatible with S4 lensing. It does indeed have the same general shape as the Source Four, but it manages to not look like they used the same molds. That's what I'm getting at. Originality and interchangeability can coexist. No offense to Chauvet - the Ovation is a wonderful fixture and is internally their own. I hope to install many of them.

Yes, it is legal since the patent has expired, but it was an issue before the patent expired too (with other brands).

Last edited:
Them's fightin' words.

While you're technically correct, the outer casing is clearly designed to look like a Source Four. Compare the Altman Phoenix - also compatible with S4 lensing. It does indeed have the same general shape as the Source Four, but it manages to not look like they used the same molds. That's what I'm getting at. Originality and interchangeability can coexist. No offense to Chauvet - the Ovation is a wonderful fixture and is internally their own. I hope to install many of them.

Yes, it is legal since the patent has expired, but it was an issue before the patent expired too (with other brands).

Besides the lens, the cases are similar, but they are nowhere near identical. Just like a Viper looks similar too a VL4000, and most golf club bags, are shaped to hold golf clubs, and SLR camera have a spot for a lens and a spot to stick you face. I saw a Toyota today that had 4 doors and 4 wheels, they clearly ripped off a Honda, right? The power supply is in a boxy part on the bottom you say? Well look where the engine is in most cars, sometime its just the best or most practical thing to do, regardless of who did it first.

I'll make you a list of Chauvet products that are blatant ripoffs off other brands, but the Ovation is not one of them.

Never called the Ovation a blatant rip-off (not did I say they were identical), just that they imitated the case design. And I think I see why we are at odds. This Ovation [which my post was based on] looks much more Source Four-ish than this one, which actually is enough of a departure for me to see that they actually are making the case design their own.

... This Ovation [which my post was based on] looks much more Source Four-ish than this one, ...
Congrats to Chauvet for innovating the ugliest, clunkiest way to change a fixture's center of gravity I've ever seen.
chauvet_ovation_e_190ww_zoom_1530.jpg

So there's that.

I'm confused. Scroll through the pictures of each, they look pretty much like the same design. Not the same as the S4.

Has anyone seen one outside of a trade show?

Any thoughts as to how these will work with gel? Considering that it is not a black-body light source, I am skeptical about this aspect.

On a related note, I see mention of "LED specific gel". Is someone making this and I missed the memo?

Has anyone seen one outside of a trade show?

Any thoughts as to how these will work with gel? Considering that it is not a black-body light source, I am skeptical about this aspect.

On a related note, I see mention of "LED specific gel". Is someone making this and I missed the memo?

Lee has been making an LED specific line for a couple of years now that is supposed to work with white LEDs in the 6000k range. I couldn't tell you how well it works though.
http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/led-02.html

I haven't been able to work with it personally, but PM me if you'd like for me to get a demo sent your way!

I haven't been able to work with it personally, but PM me if you'd like for me to get a demo sent your way!
Seriously? I am teaching lighting and sound at St. Olaf College in Northfields next semester and it would be great fun to have one to play with and show to students!

Seriously? I am teaching lighting and sound at St. Olaf College in Northfields next semester and it would be great fun to have one to play with and show to students!

Absolutely! I am an Altman dealer and can get in touch with my rep for you. I know that we have two, but they are in our Arizona office for internal use/in-person demos. I am already asking about how they respond to gels. :)

Also mention the CB website to the rep.... Altman really needs to get on board with becoming a member rep. and sponsor.

If no luck, I'm also a dealer and can put pressure on my own rep. I remember seeing their new Fresnel in visit to see me a few weeks ago, but for my interest in it was more in how it compared to the Ushio Fresnel previously demonstrated by the Ushio rep. Lots of other questions came up in both presentations, not this question of gel given the CRI percentage. Sorry, good question not asked amongst a lot of questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back