Vintage Lighting AMX Cord?

Hi all, I'm looking for an old AMX cable with two female TA4 connectors on it. Any idea where I can get one ASAP? I have an old environ 2 dimmer, and a controller, but no cord! I have a show coming up on friday, and need this as soon as possible. please help.

I was afraid I was going to have to build it. Hopefully the dealer here has what I need.

Its really not going to be a hard one to solder up. I'm not sure on the need for shielding when it comes to this cable, AMX on a TA4 is a bit before the time when I actually paid attention to that type of thing.

Its really not going to be a hard one to solder up. I'm not sure on the need for shielding when it comes to this cable, ...
So wrong. Soldering these connectors is a major PITA! The pins are very small, the substrate is soft plastic that melts if you look at it funny. Buy extra connectors, you'll need them when you ruin one/several. No shielding required, the protocol specifies two twisted pairs.

From Pathway Connectivity Inc. - Lighting Control Protocols - Part 2 :
Details - Depending upon the type of console, a single AMX192 data line can handle either 96 or 192 dimmers. Dimmer levels are sent sequentially on one wire, referenced to a signal common wire that the other conductor is paired with. A synchronizing clock signal is sent differentially on a second pair of wires. When AMX first appeared on Strand products, it used the tiny Switchcraft TA4 connector. Its pinout was clock- on pin 1, common on pin 2, clock+ on pin 3 and mux analog on pin 4. Suffice it to say (with understatement) that the TA4 was not the greatest connector choice Strand ever made. Many users, especially rental shops, couldn't wait to replace it with the tougher 4-pin XLR. ...
If you can't source the connector locally, Google shopping results for Switchcraft TA4F Mini XLR Female Connector .

Last edited:
So wrong. Soldering these connectors is a major PITA! The pins are very small, the substrate is soft plastic that melts if you look at it funny. Buy extra connectors, you'll need them when you ruin one/several. No shielding required, the protocol specifies two twisted pairs.

I never had that large of an issue with them. I do remember using a heat sink with them though now that I think about it.

I never had that large of an issue with them. I do remember using a heat sink with them though now that I think about it.

I tripple reccomend using a soldering heat sink. You will melt down the entire end of the cable and destroy the connector if you try it without. < Unless you are a VERY good solder-er with a highly controlled-able iron>

I needed a TA4 once, before internet access was what it is now, and I wound up calling Fleenor Designs to ask them if they new what kind of connector it was. Imagine my surprise when they picked up the phone and transferred me straight to Doug himself !

I tripple reccomend using a soldering heat sink. You will melt down the entire end of the cable and destroy the connector if you try it without. < Unless you are a VERY good solder-er with a highly controlled-able iron>

I needed a TA4 once, before internet access was what it is now, and I wound up calling Fleenor Designs to ask them if they new what kind of connector it was. Imagine my surprise when they picked up the phone and transferred me straight to Doug himself !

In case you have never used one, rat shack has them: Soldering Heat Sink Clip Tool - RadioShack.com

I've never actually thought to look for a dedicated one, I've always just used alligator clips. I'll certainly be adding this the the solder kit. Thanks!

yeah the ones from Radio Shaft are all aluminum, except for the spring, they leech heat a lot faster than an aliigator clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back