Ancient Switch

This wonderful panel is still hot; I had to trouble-shoot a circuit on it a year ago. Love those fused neutrals and alternating polarity between circuits...
/mike

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 242
This wonderful panel is still hot; I had to trouble-shoot a circuit on it a year ago. Love those fused neutrals and alternating polarity between circuits...
/mike

Odd.. at first glance I assumed it was a 3 phase fuse panel, but then I saw the 2 pole switches and the buss bar tap pattern... Hope that main neutral fuse never opens!

Although I love to look at some of this old stuff, the well dried wood cabinet scares the heck out of me!

I remember knife switches. When I was studying Electrical and Electronic engineering in the late 70s back in the U.K. all our power engineering labs with three phase rotating machines were done using low voltages for safety. All the electrical connections were made using knife switches, screw terminals etc. to connect the motors, generators power meters and other equipment. All the equipment was connected on the table where we had our notebooks and the motors were on floor test pads. The low voltage we were using was 110 Volts ac instead of the normal 240 Volts (415 Volts three phase).

As someone else has posted it was all perfectly safe when handled by trained people under the careful supervision of very experienced engineers and technologists.

I know a at least a few power plants that still have whole lineups of these switches for their DC systems. You think AC is bad, try 250V DC. That crap will fry you nice and crispy.

Last edited:
/mike

What I would like to know is why they are so bright and shiny after all these years! Someone go in their and polish them up with steel wool ? :shock:

What I would like to know is why they are so bright and shiny after all these years! Someone go in their and polish them up with steel wool ? :shock:

Interesting point. I wonder if the electricity prevents the copper from turning green.

Interesting point. I wonder if the electricity prevents the copper from turning green.

Thats what I assume. The stuff still looks perfect. I'm no chemist, but my brother in law is, I'll ask him next time I see him.

Electricity does not keep copper from oxidizing (turning green). There are a ton of electrical substations with oxidized copper in them. Maybe the bus bars in that panel were lacquered after they were assembled? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

Derek, actually it was George Westinghouse quoting Nikala Tesla to Thomas Edison

Thread hi-jack of a sorts.

Edison then having the "bright" idea (no pun intended, but it's a decent one) of using A.C. current to provide for a more humane method of execution, reasoning that his (Edison's) DC electrical distribution systems were less dangerous then Westinghouse/Tesla'a A.C. systems, coining the phrase "electrocution" in the process, thus inventing the electric chair, first used at Auburn Prison, in upstate NY and using A.C. current as it's method. Many dogs and supposedly one elephant got to "help" in the perfection of the design, so to speak. WiKi has a descriptive story to tell, just not good to read before a meal.

Good examples of the knife switch as seen in the OP photo in film lore is "Young Frankenstein" and "The Green Mile", among others.

For the young ones reading, a terrific book on the earliest days of electrical systems is "Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World".

And, NO, I'm not old enough to remember any of this first hand.

Last edited:
Edison then having the "bright" idea (no pun intended, but it's a decent one) of using A.C. current to provide for a more humane method of execution, reasoning that his (Edison's) DC electrical distribution systems were less dangerous then Westinghouse/Tesla'a A.C. systems, coining the phrase "electrocution" in the process, thus inventing the electric chair, first used at Auburn Prison, in upstate NY and using A.C. current as it's method.

Ive seen that electric chair its still in Auburn NY at Swaby's Bar

I saw that film! Edison was a bright guy but in reading his bio, he had a stubborn streak that would not end! On some level, he knew AC would work out better, but no way was he about to back off from that challenge! Think about it.... He electrocuted an Elephant to make his point! Stubborn!!

DC can burn and kill you you like AC, but what I've heard that makes AC inherently more dangerous is the alternating +/-/+/-/+/- of AC can cause heart arrhythmia problems.

Last edited:
/mike
This is VERY similar to what I described earlier re: the 96-fuse behemoth. At least, in terms of vertical busses and horizontal taps. My beast had 5 vertical busses and maybe 20 taps on each side (in each panel, for a total of 80 between the two panels).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back