Another pit cover collapse.

Looks to me like the hole is the part of the original design, but that doesn't mean the pit covers are.

Pit covers have a tendency to be one of the first value-engineered features, so theaters get built without covers but with a nice sized hole in the stage. Then a well-intentioned, misguided group of parents/students/faculty come in and home-build their own pit cover structure, for a fraction of the cost than than the cost of proper orchestra pit covers.

It's not that engineered pit covers are that expensive. Just that lumber is cheap, and parent labor is free.

I know of at least a half-dozen high schools in the area that have built their own covers. Trying to come up with a way to show them the error of their ways, but haven't come up with anything better than cold-calling a facility manager with some sort of sleazy ambulance-chaser sort of dialogue.

Speculation:

It's weird the way is seems to fall in the video. It seems like the whole deck goes straight down all at once, staying more or less level. Which is not what you'd expect if, say a leg buckles and causes cascading failure. Guessing that the filler was platforming bridged between some sort of ledges DS and US. Certainly had a single point of failure.

Speculation:

It's weird the way is seems to fall in the video. It seems like the whole deck goes straight down all at once, staying more or less level. Which is not what you'd expect if, say a leg buckles and causes cascading failure. Guessing that the filler was platforming bridged between some sort of ledges DS and US. Certainly had a single point of failure.

I suspect there was a piece of angle iron or something of that type acting as a hanger on the upstage side and that hanger let go. If you look at the picture you can see a hanger on the stage left side and the lack of one on the SR side. Many pits under 8' in depth are designed this way. Maybe that hanger was made of wood. Either way, that is what let go causing those decks to drop.

The full width stairs plus the pit is what I find unique, the entire house has direct access to a 8' fall hazard when the lid is removed? Can that possibly be right? The lid must have been part of the original design.

Article (as is the norm) doesn't give too much information. The picture above looks like the stage uses 2x12 headers (respectable) but I cannot make out any attachment points. Hard to say if the cover was built at the same time, by a contractor later, or by some student or volunteer crew. Three factors are needed to assure safety;
1) A good design that meets all code and is constructed well.
2) The crew that removes it and installs it (if removable) actually follows the rules and instructions.
3) Damaged or failing parts are replaced and with the correct replacements (proper maintenance.)

This is becoming too common.

One more report - an interview with Nicole Gruszka (the student lead singer in the video) on WTHR (TV13) this morning who said “This year they actually built a new one (pit cover) to be stronger… and it looks like it wasn't stronger… in the end.” so maybe the architect , consultant, manufacturer, and contractor are off the hook if what they designed was scrapped. As far as support, I'm told the original bridges between concrete ledges up and down stage. Doubt if those failed.

Ironic if they had a good system and replaced it with an insufficient one.

I see no sign of a concrete ledge on the upstage side side in the photo. @BillConnerASTC, did you find out when the temporary cover was installed? My first thought on reading your report above was that last year the lift was functional and in the raised position, this year they did the same show on the temporary cover. Perhaps they built a stronger cover because they recognized that the temporary was not strong enough, but they didn't make their replacement strong enough.

As one of my engineering professors liked to point out - catastrofic failure almost always occurs at connections. In this case it appears to be whatever the cover was resting on on the upstage side.

The AP story on Yahoo has been updated and now includes this quote:
"J.T. Coopman, the executive director of the Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents, said he expected the accident to "jolt people into action" at schools statewide to review the safety of their stages.
"That would be the direction that I would be giving my maintenance staff: 'Do we have a structure like this? How often do we inspect it? Are we sure that it's absolutely safe before we use it?'" he said."
Of course, shouldn't the same thing have happened a year ago?
Also in the comments for this on Yahoo there was this from someone called "Toolman"
"TOOLMAN 8 hours ago
I worked for the sub-contractor of this school for over 10-years, And I took that pit apart and put it back together countless times, And I know for a fact it takes kids gloves to put it back together, And if it is assembled proper it is a very strong, It takes in my opinion four people about two hours to do it the right way, Each and every time I did this I always had second thoughts about it, And would double and sometimes triple check the system, I know that those top panels are very heavy. The brace system is like a puzzle and if you do not get it right it will not go back together right, After watching the video it gave me a very uneasy feeling about that orchestra pit, And made all my fears about it come to light, I sure hope and pray that those kids are ok. "
"Toolman" later describes the system (it seems the one they used to use?):
"
TOOLMAN 7 hours ago
Michael, It has a bracket system that ties together with interlocks as I call it, Some of the braces look like a pole they are 6 to 8 foot long with snap locks on the end that hook too the upright stands, And the uprights connect to the platforms/ flooring, And that levels out with the stage. "

Well, doesn't sound like the ledges I was told it was, but classic structure style support. Could still be the pit level "temporary" filler over machine pit. That would fit with video, that the manufactured system went down all together.

Yup. Lots if work inspecting pits at least in Indiana.

I suspect there was a piece of angle iron or something of that type acting as a hanger on the upstage side and that hanger let go. If you look at the picture you can see a hanger on the stage left side and the lack of one on the SR side.
what i see in the photo is that the facia of the stage proper is missing, we are looking at the unpainted concrete stage slab. Directly below the concrete on stage left is a piece of trim the trim is missing from the stage right side. you can see the deck and the sleepers on top of the stage slab. what i am not seeing is any serious damage to the concrete, so i am speculating that any attachment to pit lid only went as deep as the facia and did not anchor into the stage slab.

This venue looks very familiar. I think I might have worked there in the last decade. But I also worked 2 or 3 times in the Servite H.S. venue as well.

Three factors are needed to assure safety;
1) A good design that meets all code and is constructed well.
2) The crew that removes it and installs it (if removable) actually follows the rules and instructions.
3) Damaged or failing parts are replaced and with the correct replacements (proper maintenance.)
4. The end user pays attention to the weight limitations of the structure as advised by the installer, and ensures that their production weights do not exceed that; and that stage security is sufficient to ensure that the stage is not overloaded by the presence of unplanned additions.

I add this not to be pedantic but because everything has a point at which it will fail, no matter how good it is. Most portable stage decks are rated for 750kg/sqm... which should be ample since that is 8 large people occupying a 1 square metre area... very difficult generally. However, of course once they start jumping around, that quantity of people is reduced somewhat. I still see directors fail to properly establish stage loading limits when creating set and choreographing actors.

I once worked on a show involving a 1-ton truck which had 5 wheels underneath, in a square, in a "5 on a dice" kind of arrangement. You are probably looking at the centre wheel taking half a ton there, and it's spreading it onto a surface area of about 1 square inch. That is a huge point load onto wooden decks... but the production only advised on the total weight of the truck - not the wheel arrangement or the point loads involved. As it was, we had to re-enforce the steeldeck stage, through genuine concern that in it's standard arrangement you might see a wheel go through the stage top.

Likewise at Glastonbury Festival in the UK about 10 years ago, Iggy Pop managed to commandeer a huge stage invasion, hundreds of people, to dance on the stage. The security were totally overwhelmed, and a show stop had to be called to clear the stage once the song finished. It was one of those great rock n roll moments but in fairness it could have equally ended up as one of those great rock n roll disasters if the Stooges and 100+ punters had suddenly disappeared into a pile of timber and scaffolding. All credit to Serious Stages for a quality deck which did not falter, but it re-affirms my point that security need to be capable of preventing a stage invasion, because had it continued and several hundred people ended up dancing on it, who knows how different the end situation could have been.

The video for the incident in question shows a lot of extra people suddenly joining the performance and dancing on the pit cover. It is quite common sense to see that it was this additional loading which triggered the collapse which had not happened when there were just a few musicians on it. This is not to suggest those people were to blame - far from it - but clearly the point is that (A) the structure needs to be able to bear the load; but (B) The maximum safe working load (with a factor of 4 or 5 to 1) does need to be established as an actual figure, and does need to be communicated to show directors and crew to ensure that it is never overloaded. It's just one of life's great inconsistencies that people are always on their toes about the SWL of rigging points, but the SWL of the floor often seems to be considered as unlimited.

proxy.php

That's a good start, for sure.

But how many receiving houses have the bottle to see a huge company show come in with a large piece of set, and say no?

And how many companies, who didn't know this up front, would not want to see some compensation having built a huge piece of set, only to be told they couldn't use it?

Signs like this on the floor, on the bars, in the grid etc are great, but more importantly the information has to be clearly communicated to the company in advance of the show; the venue should inspect weights to ensure they're compliant with the limitations they have; and the venue management have to have the balls to turn round and refuse a company when their production loads are not compliant.

There are two layers of complication here. The first is a high school type of application where nobody is mindful of the limitations of the floor for a room they're in every day. As far as they're concerned, every inch of the stage is infinitely strong. What you're talking about is a larger issue of how to reconcile the needs of touring shows with your facility's limitations.

As for having the arrogance to stand firm, it's daunting how simple it is. If venue managers don't tell groups they can't do something, of course they'll keep pushing the limits with reckless disregard. So long as venue managers keep giving in to demands for things that should've been brought up months before load-in, touring groups will keep assuming their show can go on with minimal pushback.

It's like that F*** You, Pay Me talk by Mike Monteiro. So long as freelancers keep agreeing to work for next to nothing, clients will keep asking them to work for free or cheap.

You gotta tell someone when something is unacceptable, otherwise they won't know.

750 kilograms per square meter? I get 150 psf approx, above the design load for the stage. The failed platforms failed well below that. That's 4800 pounds. 10 people at 150 and double it for impact is only 3000.

For the very reasons cited, of most people having no understanding of this, just build the platforms to the same standard as the stage.

Lift trucks are the hard nut to crack on any floor. The concentrated loads under the fork end tires fully loaded are very large.

Last edited:
The full width stairs plus the pit is what I find unique, the entire house has direct access to a 8' fall hazard when the lid is removed? Can that possibly be right? The lid must have been part of the original design.

This high school was built in the late 90's. A search for the school + auditorium comes up with plenty of pictures of similar venues ALL with steps pre-installed the complete length of the stage/pit front. I can only guess that the architects felt a high school auditorium orchestra pit, used for maybe 2-3 weeks out of a year and spends the rest of the time covered shouldn't be looked at as a constant fall hazard. Pictures of those venues all show pit covers that appear to be original design elements also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back