Any of you using LED pars for front/general lighting small stages ?

Alternatively, can i get the above look with 6-8 moving heads as back lighting and just 2 x 1000w regular incandescent par 64s from the front. Of course stage size will be 25'x15'. Ill probably have the pars one on each side and from a distance of about 15 feet away from front stage. Would that garner this look. I have 2 x 1500w haze machines via dmx and this would be indoor air-conditioned lightproof halls.
It would come close, but probably leave you with a dark spot front and center (Generally a bad place for a dark spot). As long as you don't want it to be very bright, you could probably get a decent face wash like the picture from 4-6 of the LED fixtures you described. Personally, I would want eight to ten fixtures so I can cross light a bit, and then use the pars as a bright spot light center stage.

It would come close, but probably leave you with a dark spot front and center (Generally a bad place for a dark spot). As long as you don't want it to be very bright, you could probably get a decent face wash like the picture from 4-6 of the LED fixtures you described. Personally, I would want eight to ten fixtures so I can cross light a bit, and then use the pars as a bright spot light center stage.

But if i bring in bright spots center stage using pars wont that again give the stage a washed out look pale look ? The dreaded look im trying to avoid.
Regarding the number of LED fixtures im planning 10 nos 54x3w RGBW units anyway so that matches your suggestion.

Gel the lights? One warm color, and one cool color(or just two warm if you're really worried about making them look pale) and point them both at the same center spot (McCandless). Don't blast them, but you want to have the ability to punch through and light the star if you have to.

You may be trying to avoid a washed out look, but if the audience can't see the performers you are going to catch some heat. You haven't given us a whole lot of details, so I'm making inferences and speaking in general ideas. The picture you post is of younger performers, and in my experience you need to worry more about function of the light than anything else. If parents can't see their kids, they will be upset. No matter how beautiful the design is, the audience for this type of production did not come to see your lights. So I generally have some sort of face wash or spot light that I can turn up at the directors / producers / angry dance mom's request. When it comes to variety shows, I prefer to be ready for anything. The less often you have to say "No" to their requests, the more they will want to work with you.

OK about the show now. Its a commercial show. No moms or parents etc. Ive been doing these shows for 20 years now. But i got into my own lights and sound because i couldn't keep hiring.
The show is commercially sold to familial audiences and the show consists of unusual acts like a contortionist who gets into a small glass cube. A juggler. Mostly 1 to 2 man acts one after the other. The duration of the show is 90 mins. The stage will be about 25'x15' in size. In this only the central area will be occupied or performed in. So we are trying to light maybe 20'x10' = 200sqft. With maybe 1 or 2 performers at a time. Plz see the youtube link below to get an idea of stage size and type of act im talking about just to give you a general idea.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ofcourse id want the main performers face to be seen. And sometimes if there are small objects such as placards held on stage with spectator names etc, or a drawing board is used on stage then i would want that to be seen.

What i already have are 10 moving heads (575w), 10 par cans (1000w) with the distribution box etc. Computer based dmx control with dmx dimmer pack for the par cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back