Anything Goes ?

We did the show a year ago almost entirely on one level - we had a narrow platform somewhere between 2 and 3 feet high with stairs which swung underneath it (so they could be out or in, depending where we needed them) right upstage, and a movable "gangway" which had steps at either end and got moved around the stage to represent different views of the ship. Worked fine. You don't need to have the "traditional" set for this show to make it work - there's no way we would have been able to build a set like that in our space, so we thought outside the square.

I've done this show before as well. It can be done on only one level, but it is much more effective on two. The second level doesn't need to be large but if you can even get a small platform just to add some levels to your stage, it is much more effective.
I agree, it can be done on one but two makes better sense. Your space, budget and set building capabilities will give you the answer.

" Anything can be done anywhere" That's my motto. < well, one of them, anyway>
Much more effective when you have multiple levels to play with but as others have stated you can do it on one level. As to the Scaff question. I'm not a big fan of using Scaffolding as a support for scenery. It limits what you can build to preset dimensions, tends to creak and sometimes sway. I have seen Scaffoling used very nicely when the entire set was going for the feeling of a construction site, or a futuristic look. Works well for Cats, God Spell, or any other number of shows where multi levels and exposed "under-bellys" are desired, but using it as a base for other scenery is not something I like to do.

I have used scaffolding for a show before. It was used as a second level for the backstage scenes in Kiss Me Kate. It worked well for that because it needed to be industrial, but it is loud and not very easy to hang things on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back