Wireless Are Antenna Distribution Systems Brand Specific?

Simply put, can I put Sennheiser receivers into a Shure antenna distro? We have Shure and Sennheiser systems and they all operate within the wideband UHF range (470-952 MHz). Can we use the Shure UA844 for both brands?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, works fine as long as all the frequency bands you need are passed though the system. Honestly, you can even use 75 ohm video gear for receiving antenna distro (not for transmitting IEM's though), but the audio-specific gear is more convenient.

For the sake of the question in the thread title, I will add that not all systems will work together nicely, even though the ones the OP selected seem to work out.

For example, some AKG distros send DC power to the receiver through the antenna cable, making extra variables to consider when mixing brands.

Thanks for your answers. While I was waiting, I got smart and asked Shure as well. Here is the response:

1) The UA844SWB RF section will work with other brands ASSUMING the other brands operate in the same frequency band as the UA844SWB.
2) The DC power section of the UA844SWB MIGHT work with other brands depending on the power requirements of the receivers: voltage and current.

Yes, works fine as long as all the frequency bands you need are passed though the system. Honestly, you can even use 75 ohm video gear for receiving antenna distro (not for transmitting IEM's though), but the audio-specific gear is more convenient.

Setting aside the fact that RF distribution operates at 50 Ohm, and Composite video operates at 75 Ohm, this is poor practice for several reasons. First, composite video has a different line voltage requirement than antenna distribution. Assuming your video distribution is applying a fixed gain to all outputs, using video distribution equipment will end up applying too much additional voltage to the outputs and you risk pumping so much gain that noise floor becomes an issue at best, or damage to the front-end of your Receivers at worst. Every time you split an antenna signal, you halve the power -- the outputs of the splitter are taking into account the average line voltage and applying fixed gain to make up for this loss of power. +3dB applied to 2V is NOT the same as +3dB applied to 2mV!

This power situation is why you can passively split a composite video signal one or two times without issue -- your receiving device can compensate for halving the voltage because it still has enough data to work with before the signal falls into the noise floor. In RF land, you don't have that much power to start with, so you need to actively split (though there are times where you can passively split once, but you still need a passive splitter that has some isolation circuitry - I keep a Mini Circuit ZAPD-1+ BNC in my toolbag for those rare times).

Second, composite video has different frequency requirements than most UHF RF requirements. You buy an antenna splitter that best matches the frequency requirements of the job, in this case it is UHF from 470-952. There are filters on the antenna inputs to make sure the unit filters out all outside noise above and below the desired frequency range. Composite video's chroma carrier is around 4.5mHz, and you add bandwidth as you add resolution, which can get quite high depending on several variables (ex: Color vs b&w). Regardless, 4.5mhz is well below the 470mHz of the UHF range.

Just because you can do it, or have tried to do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Setting aside the fact that RF distribution operates at 50 Ohm, and Composite video operates at 75 Ohm, this is poor practice for several reasons. First, composite video has a different line voltage requirement than antenna distribution. Assuming your video distribution is applying a fixed gain to all outputs, using video distribution equipment will end up applying too much additional voltage to the outputs and you risk pumping so much gain that noise floor becomes an issue at best, or damage to the front-end of your Receivers at worst. Every time you split an antenna signal, you halve the power -- the outputs of the splitter are taking into account the average line voltage and applying fixed gain to make up for this loss of power. +3dB applied to 2V is NOT the same as +3dB applied to 2mV!

This power situation is why you can passively split a composite video signal one or two times without issue -- your receiving device can compensate for halving the voltage because it still has enough data to work with before the signal falls into the noise floor. In RF land, you don't have that much power to start with, so you need to actively split (though there are times where you can passively split once, but you still need a passive splitter that has some isolation circuitry - I keep a Mini Circuit ZAPD-1+ BNC in my toolbag for those rare times).

Second, composite video has different frequency requirements than most UHF RF requirements. You buy an antenna splitter that best matches the frequency requirements of the job, in this case it is UHF from 470-952. There are filters on the antenna inputs to make sure the unit filters out all outside noise above and below the desired frequency range. Composite video's chroma carrier is around 4.5mHz, and you add bandwidth as you add resolution, which can get quite high depending on several variables (ex: Color vs b&w). Regardless, 4.5mhz is well below the 470mHz of the UHF range.

Just because you can do it, or have tried to do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

When referring to video, I mean CATV equipment, not composite video (which would be extremely rare today). CATV splitters and amplifiers are based on similar voltages ranges to wireless microphones.

To your second point of video splitting equipment not being rated for UHF, that would've been correct ~20 years ago. All modern video splitters are rated from ~5 MHz up to 1 GHz and have been for a while in order to support more TV channels over cable.

Also, for receiving antennas, voltage is the critical factor, and not power (which is why I mentioned my comments only apply to receiving antennas and not to transmitting antennas). The power loss that occurs from the impedance mismatch of going from 50 to 75 ohm and back again primarily affects the current level and not the voltage, so again, minimum issue for receiving antennas.

Installation of video splitters for this use is not nearly at clean as purpose-built wireless microphone splitters, however from a technical perspective it still works fine.

I agree with Alex. Impedance matching for receive antennas isn't relevant. For transmitting antennas, impedance matching is very important.

Passive CATV splitters would work fine. I would be very hesitant to use CATV amplifiers because they tend to be very picky about levels and gain structure, otherwise the intermod gets horrible. The affordable CATV amplifers are junk, and the good ones cost as much as a proper mic antenna DA.

Where I don't have to split too many ways, and the losses are tolerable, I prefer passive splitters. A modest cost approach is to buy splitters from Mini-Circuits, where I can get them with the connector of my choice and with handy mounting ears to slap them on rack panels.

When referring to video, I mean CATV equipment, not composite video (which would be extremely rare today). CATV splitters and amplifiers are based on similar voltages ranges to wireless microphones.

I was assuming composite CCTV distribution, which is the de-facto video distribution NYC uses in all audio systems for backstage/FOH camera distribution, and not modulated RF/CATV which I see only rarely in permanent installs. My bad. I'd still use either Mini-Circuits in a pinch, or true antenna distribution, but you are right that CATV gear is a choice that would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back