Loudspeakers Are JBL Cinema Speakers Worth Anything?

Greetings! I'm certainly no expert, but joined the forum to comment on this thread. It's been a few months, but just wanted to check in with you as someone who has been through much the same ordeal :)
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ankenstein-monster-system-on-a-budget.677257/

From my own experience I can tell you the Altec gear in general is quite valuable, but can be hard to sell. But IMHO the JBL gear you have is even better and more usable, but even harder to sell. In my own more modest haul I ended up selling all the Altec gear, and building a slightly insane home system from the JBL gear. I'm still just getting started, but I can tell you this stuff has amazing potential in a smaller space (relative speaker) running at a fraction of its original rated power. FWIW I believe the 4675x and similar systems were just the name for complete package consisting of a LF box like the 4648A dual 15" and large format horn such as the 2360 series and associated compression driver. I think there were a number of variants on the same theme over the years with different LF and HF sections, from single 15" up to dual 18". The ones you have look to me like the 4648A and 2360 combo, which I believe was incredibly popular during the initial roll out of Cinema THX and digital systems in the 90s, often combined with the big dual 18" sub boxes for the low end in big theaters. EQ'd appropriately in a smaller theater the dual 15s can put out impressive amounts of bass even if they don't look it on paper. There may have been passive crossovers available, but the systems I've seen used something like the 5235 active crossovers which had special cards available to match various horns as part of a bi-amped system.

I applaud you for going as far as you have to try and save these, and would encourage you to do all you can to preserve as much of it as you can and find them homes. I know that's no small task given the size of these things. From what I have seen part of the reason that the old Altec gear has gotten so collectible is that so much of it was destroyed. Those systems were everywhere once too, and when they became outdated for their intended applications a lot of it just ended up in the trash. But this was exceptionally well designed and built equipment from a golden era, and the ones that have survived have gone on to form the basis of really exceptional home systems. In another 10 or 20 years I suspect lots of people will be lamenting all the great vintage JBL cinema gear that ended up in the dump and it will become similarly collectible. I think you are more likely to find demand for these in home hifi circles where they may be seen as a rare chance to own vintage top of the line gear vs. pro cinema / theater audio circles where they are just seen as old. The horns and boxes are hard to deal with due to weight and size, but in those circles they may also be seen to have value as part of the "whole package." But due to size I suppose it will always be a pretty niche market.

If you haven't already I would highly recommend getting on the Lansing Heritage forum: http://www.audioheritage.org, dedicated to preserving and celebrating both Altec and JBL gear. There may be a network of folks on there who can help find homes for it all in the interest of preservation. Other sites where folks might be interested: audiokarma.org, diyaudio.com

Best of luck,
Rob

Greetings! I'm certainly no expert, but joined the forum to comment on this thread. It's been a few months, but just wanted to check in with you as someone who has been through much the same ordeal :)
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ankenstein-monster-system-on-a-budget.677257/

From my own experience I can tell you the Altec gear in general is quite valuable, but can be hard to sell. But IMHO the JBL gear you have is even better and more usable, but even harder to sell. In my own more modest haul I ended up selling all the Altec gear, and building a slightly insane home system from the JBL gear. I'm still just getting started, but I can tell you this stuff has amazing potential in a smaller space (relative speaker) running at a fraction of its original rated power. FWIW I believe the 4675x and similar systems were just the name for complete package consisting of a LF box like the 4648A dual 15" and large format horn such as the 2360 series and associated compression driver. I think there were a number of variants on the same theme over the years with different LF and HF sections, from single 15" up to dual 18". The ones you have look to me like the 4648A and 2360 combo, which I believe was incredibly popular during the initial roll out of Cinema THX and digital systems in the 90s, often combined with the big dual 18" sub boxes for the low end in big theaters. EQ'd appropriately in a smaller theater the dual 15s can put out impressive amounts of bass even if they don't look it on paper. There may have been passive crossovers available, but the systems I've seen used something like the 5235 active crossovers which had special cards available to match various horns as part of a bi-amped system.

I applaud you for going as far as you have to try and save these, and would encourage you to do all you can to preserve as much of it as you can and find them homes. I know that's no small task given the size of these things. From what I have seen part of the reason that the old Altec gear has gotten so collectible is that so much of it was destroyed. Those systems were everywhere once too, and when they became outdated for their intended applications a lot of it just ended up in the trash. But this was exceptionally well designed and built equipment from a golden era, and the ones that have survived have gone on to form the basis of really exceptional home systems. In another 10 or 20 years I suspect lots of people will be lamenting all the great vintage JBL cinema gear that ended up in the dump and it will become similarly collectible. I think you are more likely to find demand for these in home hifi circles where they may be seen as a rare chance to own vintage top of the line gear vs. pro cinema / theater audio circles where they are just seen as old. The horns and boxes are hard to deal with due to weight and size, but in those circles they may also be seen to have value as part of the "whole package." But due to size I suppose it will always be a pretty niche market.

If you haven't already I would highly recommend getting on the Lansing Heritage forum: http://www.audioheritage.org, dedicated to preserving and celebrating both Altec and JBL gear. There may be a network of folks on there who can help find homes for it all in the interest of preservation. Other sites where folks might be interested: audiokarma.org, diyaudio.com

Best of luck,
Rob
Welcome aboard!
Anyone who remembers, and appreciates, vintage gear gets a 'like' from me.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Best of luck,
Rob
Been many many years since I've seen the old "green face" Altec head end equipment! Thanks for the flashback on that forum! Never sure why people were hung up on crossing at the horn cut-off (500 Hz) as what is gained in fidelity is lost in the fact that it is SO easy to blow HF drivers with that low a cross. Also, there is a lost art that I noted in those pictures... It was very important to line up the diaphragms of the HF and LF units, so the LF units actually should be back about a foot. Wonderful old tail about a theater system where they were not lined up until a perfectionist complained one day that the tap dancing in a movie didn't sound right. You can guess the rest!

Thanks for the reply, @miscrms ! Yep, that Uhaul looks a lot like a storage unit I'm paying $100/month for! I actually had a cinema guy interested in buying the lot from me, but either he had a bad run of luck or was jerking me around. I've had fairly good luck selling individual woofers on eBay, but would really love to find homes for the horns. I'm not too concerned about the 1005B's - they can ship pretty easily as long as I take the throats off. It's the JBL "kissy lips" horns I'm worried about. They're huge and you're right, the people who want them are few and far *away*. I have stacks of 8330's but they'll probably go on Craigslist for an extremely low price. I will check out the sites you listed. I'm itching to find new homes for this gear. If I play my cards right, it will allow me to pay off the remainder of a credit card and get me out from under that storage unit.

Definitely love the gear though - I wish I had the room for it! I'm donating the subs to a community theatre in the area, but that's unfortunately all they can use without major overhaul.

Been many many years since I've seen the old "green face" Altec head end equipment! Thanks for the flashback on that forum! Never sure why people were hung up on crossing at the horn cut-off (500 Hz) as what is gained in fidelity is lost in the fact that it is SO easy to blow HF drivers with that low a cross. Also, there is a lost art that I noted in those pictures... It was very important to line up the diaphragms of the HF and LF units, so the LF units actually should be back about a foot. Wonderful old tail about a theater system where they were not lined up until a perfectionist complained one day that the tap dancing in a movie didn't sound right. You can guess the rest!

Those are helpful comments, thanks! For hi-fi use I think one thing to keep in mind is these CDs are usually only being driven with a fraction of their original power. Mine are currently being driven with the power/tube stages off a McIntosh MA-230, which maxes out at 30wpc, and even then much below full output. The dang things are so sensitive I think my eardrums would pop well before the diaphragms in my little room. ;) I hear you though, I think the horns actually sound better crossed at 800, but in a 2 way setup asking the 4648As to go 30-800Hz seems like a stretch. They seem to start getting muddy above 500 at least in this application, so there is also a trade off there. My next phase will be playing with a 4 way setup using the servo drive contrabass on LFE and pair of JBL 2404H above the horns. One of the things I'm curious about is seeing how all these drivers align in time/phase, which I'm sure will be... interesting :) It's kind of amazing how much a home user can do these days with AudioTools on an iPad and $100 calibrated mic. I'm using the JBL brackets for the 4648A/2360 but I too was surprised that the CDs end up so far behind the woofers. I suppose it was also a trade off, but I may need to come up with a different mount. I'm also still trying to come up with a center channel configuration that can keep up with the fronts without blocking the screen ;) My next attempt will be to try an odd JBL 4660 that I picked up recently. Weird configuration for home use, but pretty nice components / sound.

Thanks for the reply, @miscrms ! Yep, that Uhaul looks a lot like a storage unit I'm paying $100/month for! I actually had a cinema guy interested in buying the lot from me, but either he had a bad run of luck or was jerking me around. I've had fairly good luck selling individual woofers on eBay, but would really love to find homes for the horns. I'm not too concerned about the 1005B's - they can ship pretty easily as long as I take the throats off. It's the JBL "kissy lips" horns I'm worried about. They're huge and you're right, the people who want them are few and far *away*. I have stacks of 8330's but they'll probably go on Craigslist for an extremely low price. I will check out the sites you listed. I'm itching to find new homes for this gear. If I play my cards right, it will allow me to pay off the remainder of a credit card and get me out from under that storage unit.

Definitely love the gear though - I wish I had the room for it! I'm donating the subs to a community theatre in the area, but that's unfortunately all they can use without major overhaul.

Glad you are still hanging in there! I'm still pretty new on both of those boards, but let me know if you end up posting there. I hadn't really intended to do any of this, it just kind of happened :lol: But its been a lot of fun. Yeah, I hear you on the big jbl horns. I still have one more pair I'm trying to sell locally. It's really a shame as I find them much more pleasant to listen to than the newer smaller horns. But I suppose not everyone has room for or wants a pair of 3ft x 3ft horns in their living room. If you were a little closer I'd probably even be dumb enough to try a pair of yours ;) Mine are the 2365s which are still great, but longer throw with narrower coverage. A pair of true 2360s would probably be more ideal with their wider coverage.

My next phase will be playing with a 4 way setup using the servo drive contrabass on LFE

Wow. Have two of the original Intersonic ServoDrive Contrabass units sitting in my movie room. One with good belts and one that needs new belts. Lot of research, but I was able to find the original belting stock from an aircraft supply house. Have all the materials but haven't rolled up my selves and done it yet. Already changed all the surrounds and the one working unit REALLY brings the house down! Good luck with your rig!

Wow. Have two of the original Intersonic ServoDrive Contrabass units sitting in my movie room. One with good belts and one that needs new belts. Lot of research, but I was able to find the original belting stock from an aircraft supply house. Have all the materials but haven't rolled up my selves and done it yet. Already changed all the surrounds and the one working unit REALLY brings the house down! Good luck with your rig!

Sorry to continue hijacking this thread ;)

If you are interested here are the notes on my rebuild. I was unable to find the original material, but did manage to identify a $5 vacuum cleaner belt that I was able to modify. May not stand up to professional use, but haven't shown any signs of stress from my torture tests.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....servodrive-contrabass-rebuild-attempt.754517/

Rob

Thanks! I'm going to run through that. Also have a pile of notes. The original material is BIC200 belting
Just a question, why are the belts looped on the outside of your shafts? Pic of working assy-
belts.jpg

Thanks for the pic, it's very possible mine are installed backward :). It works, but I would think they would be less likely to slip in the orientation shown as there is more contact area with the shaft!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back