ART DTI

2mojo2

I am looking for isolation transformers to connect long balanced lines to short unbalanced lines. I came across the ART DTI which looks like a nice two-channel package for about sixty bucks.
Does anyone have experience with these?

Transformers are great problem solvers, but there are a bunch of crappy ones on the market. Ebtech comes to mind as one of the suspect ones. A cheap transformer will not handle high audio levels without saturating the core, especially at low frequencies. The result is distortion. If the manufacturer does not spec the maximum level (in dBu) and the distortion at that level (<1%) , assume it's poor. Balanced line level can easily reach peaks of +18 dBu to +24 dBu.

Looking at ART's product on their web site, to their credit, they do include the max level/distortion specs, and they look decent. They claim <0.05% at 24 dBu, at 100 Hz. It's nice to see that, and I would say go for it for $60.

Applied Research & Technology: ARTcessories™

THE renowned audio transformer company is Jensen Transformers. I totally trust their products and use many of them, and they always sound great when they are applied properly. They are not inexpensive, however.

JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - ISO-MAX® Audio Isolator Products

Generally speaking, put the transformer next to the input, not the output. Most transformers are not great at driving the capacitance of a long piece of cable, unless they are specifically designed to do so.

We use a Jensen transformer to do exactly the job you've described. I've got it on the send for a VHS recorder in our light booth.

Unfortunately, we really needed two (one for the audio out of the video system), so we still have a buzz problem.

The VHS audio is nice and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back