Aux outs

snyder68

Hey Guys, so here is where what I'm trying to figure out. I am needing a smaller sound board that has has either 16 aux outputs or 8 stereo outputs for under $4000. It is something I am not having much luck finding so I figured I would put it out on here. Here is what we currently have, we have a signal coming up to a small mackie mixer then the output from the mackie mixer goes to a Rane Audio splitter that sends signal all over the building. With this current setup it doesn't give us the flexibility we are wanting or reliability we are wanting either. So we are wanting the signal to go into a mixer and then be able to send it straight out of the board rather than going thru another splitter. It also has to be user friendly because volunteers would be the ones using it. Any suggestions you can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Jesse

What are you trying to do? Do you really need 16 different mixes or do you need multiple occurrences of some smaller number of independent mixes? Unless the 16 signals are all post-fade mixes that do not change then I just can't see a volunteer mixing 16 auxes.

If you really need 16 mono or 8 stereo mixes then you might want to look at mixers intended for monitor use. Or maybe a Behringer X32 with its 16 mix buses and 16 outputs.

What we are wanting to do is each output needs to be stereo because all the equipment we run into is stereo so just running one line to it wouldn't work, so really I need something with 8 stereo or balanced outputs. We are running to multiple different kinds of equipment like a streaming server for campuses, tvs throughout the building, service recording setup and a couple others. The Behringer X32 looks like it might work pretty good, have you used it at all? Just wondering because I've never really used anything from Behringer.

What we are wanting to do is each output needs to be stereo because all the equipment we run into is stereo so just running one line to it wouldn't work, so really I need something with 8 stereo or balanced outputs. We are running to multiple different kinds of equipment like a streaming server for campuses, tvs throughout the building, service recording setup and a couple others. The Behringer X32 looks like it might work pretty good, have you used it at all? Just wondering because I've never really used anything from Behringer.

Do you need to send each output a seperate mix that has totally different content or do you just want some routing capability and a bit more control of each send? You might want to look at some kind of speaker management such as sound web.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Do you need to send each output a seperate mix that has totally different content or do you just want some routing capability and a bit more control of each send? You might want to look at some kind of speaker management such as sound web.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Do you have any suggestions on a sound web?

Rane has some interesting stuff too, under their HAL line. I've used the previous version, Dragnet, to do interesting signal manipulation and routing. I haven't used their new stuff, but it looks very interesting and flexible on paper, with the ability to have presets for input/output routing that can be configured on the fly.

Does it have to be digital? Does it have to be a mixer with faders, EQ, etc?

A quick search returned this 8 channel, rack-mounted mixer/splitter. It's simple. On/Off & volume. Just connect the main outs on your board to two of these.

Alto Link - Eight Channel, Rack-Mounted Mixer / Splitter ALTO

It can be either one, not a fan of the alto just because it doesn't give me a way to monitor the levels being sent to each channel. I would prefer a mixer but I'm mainly looking for something that can send the same signal out 8 different places and be able to monitor the signal going out. So I'm not hard set on a mixer by any means.

It can be either one, not a fan of the alto just because it doesn't give me a way to monitor the levels being sent to each channel. I would prefer a mixer but I'm mainly looking for something that can send the same signal out 8 different places and be able to monitor the signal going out. So I'm not hard set on a mixer by any means.

The DS800 is exactly what you are looking for. You will need two, but its out there. The only other thing I see with what you want is this:RDL RU-ADA8D - Audio Distribution Amplifier RU-ADA8D B&H Photo

Most DA's are 8 channel for whatever reason.

A distribution amp is usually something calibrated at installation with tone and a voltmeter. Once set up properly, individual outputs don't need to be monitored. Instead you monitor the console buss that drives it. If the proper level goes into the DA, then the proper levels are then going to the destinations. This is the way it has been done in big broadcast plants for decades. If you have a Rane DA216S, then you already have exactly what you need.

I picked up an x32 for 2100+ tax and warranty out the door for 2500. I can honestly say that for the price point its unbeatable.

Music Groups aquisition of Midas really made the decision for me, the x32 has midas pre's and it sounds great. The control lay out is nice and easy to work around in comparison to the ls9 I worked with before.

Im using it in a live situation ranging from live bands to simple playback. It has its drawbacks but nothing significant that would keep me from using it daily or putting it in its road case and taking it to any live gig I book.

It would be the same signal going to every feed just want the ability to have control over the level of each individual send.
Then having a dedicated mix for each send may be dramatic overkill and way more challenging than necessary for volunteers. But what I still don't understand is what you are trying to do. You want to send stereo signals to eight locations but what is the purpose of those sends? Are you feeding backstage monitors, sends to other ancillary audio systems, recording systems, speakers at video displays or what? And do you really need or want separate level control for each send at your end or would it be better to have a consistent output at the origination and let them control the volume at the receiving end? I'm also not clear on what is feeding this, how those inputs are getting there or how this integrates with the house system. It may be too late as you apparently already purchased a X32, which I just hope your volunteers can operate effectively, but if we understood more about the actual intent and application we might have been able to offer some other recommendations.

Then having a dedicated mix for each send may be dramatic overkill and way more challenging than necessary for volunteers. But what I still don't understand is what you are trying to do. You want to send stereo signals to eight locations but what is the purpose of those sends? Are you feeding backstage monitors, sends to other ancillary audio systems, recording systems, speakers at video displays or what? And do you really need or want separate level control for each send at your end or would it be better to have a consistent output at the origination and let them control the volume at the receiving end? I'm also not clear on what is feeding this, how those inputs are getting there or how this integrates with the house system. It may be too late as you apparently already purchased a X32, which I just hope your volunteers can operate effectively, but if we understood more about the actual intent and application we might have been able to offer some other recommendations.

We use an M7 downstairs in the sanctuary and two of the omni outputs on it are stereo left and right. That signal comes up to a little crappy Mackie Mixer that is ancient and gives off a nice little buzz. The output from the Mackie goes to the Rane Splitter. One of those signals are sent to a Haivision Streaming Server because we are a multi campus church where we stream the sermons live. Another signal goes to a Aja Ki-Pro device that records the service. Another goes to a computer in our editing room that is also recording as our back-up in case the Ki-Pro crashed because one of our campuses gets there sermon on a drive each week. Another signal goes to a CD recorder to make cds each week. Other signals are run to tvs just outside the room and then to other tvs around the building as part of a closed circuit system. Not all of these devices take in the same signal level, that is why I am needing control of each output. All devices are needing to be run stereo though because that is how the signal is coming in. I know our current system works but they are wanting to get it all combined down into one device and just clean that whole system up a little bit.

What purpose is the Mackie serving, other than to introduce buzz?

What purpose is the Mackie serving, other than to introduce buzz?

We are using it as a way to monitor the level and also bump up the audio a bit if need be. The only other way we have to monitor it is to go around and check the signal at all the individual places and we just don't have time to do that. So if signal input changes we can change it easier than going and turning the gains on all the individual channels on the splitter and not being able to see the signal level. Currently we have all the gains set to a certain output level from the Mackie and don't want to make someone change the gains on the splitter and then go around and check levels everywhere, nor can they do that during a service. That's why I'm looking for something that I can see the signal level being sent for each level and the signal input and output are all in the same thing.

Not all of these devices take in the same signal level, that is why I am needing control of each output. All devices are needing to be run stereo though because that is how the signal is coming in. I know our current system works but they are wanting to get it all combined down into one device and just clean that whole system up a little bit.

Any good distribution amp can be set to have different levels on each output. But, as I said before, in a properly designed system, there should be no reason to make adjustments to the DA once it is set up. You haven't said what Rane product you have now, so I will suggest the following product. In the last analog facility I built I had a rack full of these.
Radix DA1600

If the problem is managing the level into the DA, then I suggest putting a good AGC/Compressor between the console and the DA. For streaming and recording the feed should be leveled anyway. The product to use is an Aphex Compellor. There is nothing more transparent. It acts like a slow hand on a fader and will just keep the levels in the sweet spot even in the source varies significantly. It will also greatly reduce the workload on the person mixing. They are not cheap, but they are widely used in broadcast chains because they are excellent. This is not, and does not sound like any other compressor.
Aphex 320D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back