Backstage WiFi

Wifi backstage ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveB

For those of you who work in facilities that has visiting theater companies, outside events;

Do you provide WiFii?.

Is it open to all user, or passcode required ?.

Free and open on our end. We have it on a segmented part of the network so they can't get into our internal stuff.

We also have hardlines available on both of our stages and in the guest production office.

We have access points in our larger theater, onstage in the larger house, in the dressing room areas, and in our smaller space. Unfortunately all of them are linksys routers running DDWRT. It works, not great, but it works.

Most common I've seen is passcode required, but most convenient is open if you've the bandwidth to make it work.

If you've a lot of events where audiences should have ready access to Internet (meetings, conferences, so forth), then open is preferred. If mostly just for the 5-25 touring crew/cast, then closed is probably just as fine if you have pre-printed slips of paper with the code on it you can post in the dressing rooms or hand out.

Free and open WiFi has become so ubiquitous that gone are days when everyone is concerned about the liability and legal ramifications of offering unfettered access to the public. Still, you want to make sure however access is provided that it does not compromise internal network security.

We have Wifi in the back. However I have killed the broadcasting signal so that public can't access it unless they really are trying. It is also outside of our internal intranet so as to keep the staff from nosing around or stumbling upon something accidentally.

As a request to those who reply, if your facility is not listed on your signature, could you PM me the facility ?.

I'm trying to make a case to our ITS office to install a router backstage. Up to now they have refused to do this, claiming it leaves the college network open to intrusion. BS, I call but need examples. Currently we have a Clear WiFi to 4g service that the PAC office pays for. The 4g bogs down terribly with more then 2 users, no surprise.

As a request to those who reply, if your facility is not listed on your signature, could you PM me the facility ?.

I'm trying to make a case to our ITS office to install a router backstage. Up to now they have refused to do this, claiming it leaves the college network open to intrusion. BS, I call but need examples. Currently we have a Clear WiFi to 4g service that the PAC office pays for. The 4g bogs down terribly with more then 2 users, no surprise.

You must have some really annoyed road crews (and house crew). Free and open wifi is just part of the package now, just like having a phone line and a fax line for guest use only was.

Just throwing this out there, when I do our yearly trip down to Hostos they have open wifi in their theatre. It is a guest network and you have to hit a sign on page that I think requires your email address but after that your in. Its annoying, but it does work... and it is a CUNY school.

Start pulling tech packets from various places. The wifi thing is listed in both of our tech specs. Most places I have been do the same.

Password required. Having 1000+ people trying to hit a wifi router at the same time will almost always bring a small network to it's knees. There are 2 separate networks, one for building staff with access to the local network, and a guest network that routes straight to the internet.

I'm on a college campus and for outside events, the group will be issues a username and password combo that expires once their event is over. Everything's routed through the same network regardless of who's using it.

In college we used to have unsecured university wifi. This changed to a secured network once the FBI showed up to our theatre. Someone had attracted their attention by running phishing scams, downloads and a bunch of other stuff they wouldn't explain. They had run it through the router the university put in our space and the FBI assumed they would find a person when they arrived, not a stage. That was an interesting week.

Via Tapatalk

In college we used to have unsecured university wifi. This changed to a secured network once the FBI showed up to our theatre. Someone had attracted their attention by running phishing scams, downloads and a bunch of other stuff they wouldn't explain. They had run it through the router the university put in our space and the FBI assumed they would find a person when they arrived, not a stage. That was an interesting week.

Via Tapatalk
Mine's unencrypted but secured, almost every internal site runs over SSL including the lunch menu. It has a login page that opens if you try to connect to any external site and is using MAC Addresses to control access. The IT page says that it's to keep scams and illegal torrents running from unknown connections. Every campus computer also requires a logon for external web access and to use the edit capabilities of Office.

WIFI password required and given out freely if asked for and several ports around the building for direct modem connection.. We usually update our password every few months - we had a issues with past local users occupying our 'shop-front' customer car parks for several hours a day while using our internet.

We have a very nice dual-SSID wifi setup where visitors can log into the public network on their own devices, and an encrypted network that all the "owned" devices connect to.

The public network is entirely locked down - clients can only access the Internet, and not other parts of the network, and all access is monitored and filtered.

We also have a standalone wireless AP (encrypted) that connects to all the networked stuff in the booth (lighting board, booth PC...) but not to the outer network.

From live broadcasts to interactive presentations to technology workshops, these networks have been key to the flexibility of the venue.

Last edited:
How has the locked down thing worked for you guys? Do clients/road co/etc use it or do you have to spend time supporting them to get online?

My only real issue with going locked down is now I have to play IT guy while still trying to get a show in.

How has the locked down thing worked for you guys? Do clients/road co/etc use it or do you have to spend time supporting them to get online?

My only real issue with going locked down is now I have to play IT guy while still trying to get a show in.

At first the filtering was a bit over zealous (no YouTube, Outlook webmail didn't work) but that got sorted out quite quickly. There's a lot more in place than just web filtering though: inter-client isolation, an isolated VLAN, QoS, etc. However, you'd need to know what those acronyms stood for before you'd ever run into problems with them in "regular" use. Most people are connected and happy before I even mention the WiFi.

That, and in my experience any show that's had specific network requirements (digital snake, IP video, broadcast...) has brought their own equipment and has known how to use it.

Last edited:
I'm at a high school. Visitors connect to a guest network that only becomes available after school hours. The last couple of colleges I have been at for workshops had visitor accounts that we could use for wifi.

The Gertrude Ford Center, where I work, uses two trunk lines installed during the 2008 presidential debates and the university's login and password. The login and password given out to the company expires each day. The university has a new guest ID and password each day that you must log into the SLP net weaver portal to receive. We post the id and password on the call board and many times in wardrobe and dressing rooms and the green room. It works fantastically and has great speed! The normal employees can connect their device with their personal ID and password. The university recently released a new wifi option that allows you to install a certificate on your device that is registered to you, so you don't have to login every time you power up or come into range. The audio department uses a personal wifi signal generated on their macbook pro to control the mixers from an iPad. the electrics department makes use of our extensive ETCnet package and our audience members usually don't get access to internet unless they just happen to work or study at the university and can log in with their own ID. 1500 people suddenly connected to even a strong wifi router can suddenly bring it to it's knees

OpenDNS filtering goes a long way towards locking down an open connection to various sites, by category.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The Gertrude Ford Center, where I work, uses two trunk lines installed during the 2008 presidential debates and the university's login and password. The login and password given out to the company expires each day. The university has a new guest ID and password each day that you must log into the SLP net weaver portal to receive. We post the id and password on the call board and many times in wardrobe and dressing rooms and the green room. It works fantastically and has great speed! The normal employees can connect their device with their personal ID and password.

Campus internet is indeed amazing being in the top 1% of connections available. Still get over 200 mbps reaching SoCal servers. Never have to wait for anything to buffer or download.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back