Design Batman logo gobo

samlish

This is my first post here so sorry if there are similars. I want to create a gobo of the Batman logos as in the films to be focused into the curtains from a followspot.

What is the best way to make this?

thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

A gobo would have to go inside the optics or your follow spot; it needs to be small and fit inside a gobo frame. I can tell you from experience that any sort of foil or paper wont work due to heat. Your best bet would probably be to have a custom gobo made; there are many companies out there. Someone might have an idea of how to make one yourself, but theres no easy way as far as I know.

Thanks for your reply, could i not cut one out of something like alluminium or steel sheet?

You could

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Depending on your followspot, you might not have a gate position in the instrument to properly mount a gobo. Without that, obtaining the right focus on the gobo will be difficult. The default answer for making your own gobos is by cutting pie tin plates. They are more rigid than simple tin foil and can be shaped with a little work and the right tools and patience.

The Batman logo(s) is trademarked. You will not find it in a gobo catalog and a company will probably not custom cut those for you unless you have explicit permission from someone really important at a film studio somewhere.

Does it have to be a followspot? You'll likely have much better luck with a profile spot or ERS. Try a search for "pie tin gobo", or "homemade gobo" or similar. Even if it needs to move--see Source-Four-on-a-stick .

You might also want to be aware that the "bat signal" logo is copyrighted, which is why none of the major manufacturers (Rosco, LEE, GAM, Apollo) offer one in their stock catalogs.
As the largest manufacturer of custom gobos across the fruited plain, we tread cautiously when determining which stock, or catalog patterns we offer. Requests to include show / team / personality logos in to the Apollo catalog arrive frequently. Copyright and trademark law deters manufacturers from producing mugs, shirts, gobos, and other products for general consumption unless a royalty is paid. To obey copyright and trademark law, these recognizable show / team / personality logos and patterns may be produced however as custom patterns using artwork submitted by the purchaser. It is recognized and implied that artwork received via email, fax, glossy slick, etc, has been approved by the copyright and/or trademark owner.

Word of advice- please contact the owner of the logo and request written permission to use it as an advertising aid to your show. They (the owner/s of the logo) actually desire that the various licencees' shows succeed, thus providing future potential theater enquiries to licence that particular show in the future...

That being said, might a similar pattern suffice? One can buy a Rosco #77947 (DHA #947) steel pattern for around USD 12.
7106-batman-logo-gobo-r77947.gif

https://gobosource.com/gos/rosco-laboratories-77947-stock-gobo-steel-p-1566.html

BUT, be aware also that the true signal is a dark bat on a light background--the inverse of above. Unless using a glass pattern, the dark area must be supported somehow within the image area.
7107-batman-logo-gobo-bat-signal.jpg

Bat Signal - Television Tropes & Idioms

And no, one can't just lay a bat cutout on a searchlight to project the image, regardless of what the TV and movies may lead us to believe.
7108-batman-logo-gobo-batman-signal.jpg

http://supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/batmanbegins/batman-signal.jpg

EDIT: Posted concurrently with MNicolai's post.

Attachments

• r77947.gif
    r77947.gif
    2 KB · Views: 4,074
  • bat-signal.jpg
    bat-signal.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18,443
  • batman-signal.jpg
    batman-signal.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 9,703
Last edited:
I had a "Superheroes and Supervillains" party in the bar at the theatre I worked at for my 30th birthday, and cut a Batman logo gobo to go in a Selecon Pacific. I printed out a copy of the logo and spent some time sizing it correctly, cut it out and then drew around it onto aluminium pie plate. Some fiddly Stanley knife work later, I had a pretty good Bat Signal. I managed to get it un-reversed (dark on light) by making the edges of the wings the edge of the gobo.

BatSignal.jpg

The fact that when I rigged the Pacific I failed to notice I'd put it right under a sprinkler came back and bit us all at about 1am when the sprinkler decided it was warm enough and went off....but until then it worked very well. The Pacific was fine - the lamp blew but we re-lamped it and switched it on at 10% to dry out the next day and all was well...

Wetpacific.jpg

That does make me wonder about the batman logo gobo I've got kicking around... Also probably why there's no manufacturer name on it, even though it is clearly proffessionally made.

In a pinch, you can make a short term gobo out of pop cans, just make sure you clean them off nicely before you stick them in your fixture.

I like the idea of using the pacifics as i have 12 of them so one wont hurt! thanks guys! also gonna try the pie dish of just make a permanent one from alluminium.

If you google 'how to make a gobo' you'll find instructions on how to create gobos using various techniques, chemicals, etc. If you've got selecons, then an exacto knife and pie plates will be fine.

Second the X-acto technique, as chemicals have way too many downside risks. Take it from someone who has worked at a large gobo making facility whose chemical etching has been replaced with clean laser technology-

Cut carefully (and still breathe deeply!) :)

If you have a machine shop at your school you, couldn't you CNC mill it out of a steel or aluminium plate?

Hi guys

I ended up recruiting my dad and he cut it out of a piece of WWII brass!! Was very successful and went down really well. Pics to follow:) Thanks for all the help :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Here is the final product I used. Worked really nicely.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341506359175.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341506359175.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,182

Users who are viewing this thread

Back