Beer on the console

cbenjes

Back in college I was running lighting for a January Term production called "Kennedy's Children." The entire show - two 1-hour acts - was a bar scene where a variety of patrons at tables in the bar spoke in soliloquy to the audience about their life in the early 1960's and how JFK's death affected them. Only 4 lighting cues in the whole show (lights up, lights down, lights up, lights down) so life was easy and the show was boring to say the least.

Attendance for the show on the first of the 2 nights was decent, but by the second act, only a handful of people were still in the audience, most probably the parents of the actors who had yet to speak their part. We probably had over 200 patrons walk out by intermission. Oh, well the show must go on.

For closing night, I invited a friend to stop by and we'd go out barhopping afterward. The lighting console - a Theater Techniques Inc (TTI) 2-scene preset board from 1976 was operated from a table mid-audience, so relative quiet was necessary to avoid distraction from the play. However, to pass the time, my buddy brought a case of Michelob bottles. The first two went down nicely just as the first act began. We were fairly successful to hide the PSSST of the bottle being opened from the packed audience. However, as the show progressed and as the beer was consumed and as people streamed out, we sort of lost our professional demeanor, and each progressive PSSST started to echo as the theater emptied out. Bottles clinked, beer caps rolled, and we got pretty loud. Funny, the audience didn't seem to care, and was probably a little envious and jealous that some people in the theater that night were enjoying themselves.

Finally, the faculty moderator for the theater club sat down next to me at the board and I thought we were going to get expelled. I didn't think he was there that night. I thought we were dead. He looked around the board at all of the empty bottles, looked at the number of people remaining in the audience, leaned in and said, "Is this show really as bad as I think?" I nodded, and was very relieved when he said with a smile, "Got an extra beer?"

Last edited:
LoL...I had a Nutcracker expierence similar to this, there was reception for the mucky mucks of the theatre upstairs, my boss looked at me, looked at the stage and said "Call me when your fly cue is over, I'll bring you a beer."

by the title of the thread I was expecting to hear about how you spilled a beer on the console.

A friend of mine was running sound and he managed to pour a beer down the sound board. Amazingly, it still worked, except channel 9 didn't work.

Good to hear you found something useful to do during a bad show.

by the title of the thread I was expecting to hear about how you spilled a beer on the console.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't have any sympathy in that case, you should never have any liquid near a console.

Well, in our state of mind, we did spill a little, maybe even a whole one, but we were still coherent enough to keep the beer far enough away from the board. Usually, the bottles were down low on the floor as not to attract undue attention. Clink, clink, pssst, burp. :)

Now if my son ever did that around his school's new Ion, he'd be in real trouble. ;)

For the record, there shouldn't ever be food or drink in a booth...Especially when the drink is booze.

There isn't anything more nerve racking then dealing with a drunk onstage, its just plain unsafe.

The theatre is a dangerous place and adding booze into the mix makes it even worse.

Yes this sort of thing does happen from time to time (and the story was funny), however I want to point out it's not the kind of thing anyone with dreams of having a long full career as a professional technician should consider. Drinking on the job is automatic firing most places. You drink, you loose your edge, you make mistakes, mistakes easily lead to the creation of dangerous situations for the cast, crew, or audience. It might be funny once, but if you keep doing it, eventually something bad will happen and you will be out of work. Finding someone willing to hire you after you get fired for drinking on the job is going to be REALLY hard.

(Remember I work in a college) two years ago we had a couple cast members drinking in the dressing room. This lead to a fist fight between lead actors over a girl. We came very close to having the show shut down by the school administration. It reflects badly on the cast, the crew, the director, the T.D., and The department as a whole.

Don't drink in the theater.

...and coming from someone who had a friend killed by a drunk driver. Make sure you have a designated driver after the cast party too!

In today's world I can just see the parents of one of the actors suing the school when their child doesn't get a job after graduating and using this episode as an example of the education and support provided by the college ("How could anyone expect them to be successful when you knowingly surrounded them with a bunch of drunks!"). Not to mention the potential implications if there had been an accident or emergency regardless of the cause or outcome. It's sad, but you sometimes have to think that way.

I also agree that on most of my projects the workplaces are required to be drug and alcohol free. Violations are cause for termination and a supervisor knowing of a violation but taking no action could be cause for terminating the employer's contract and invoking their Performance Bond.

Not to mention that it is poor etiquette to have not brought enough for everyone!

A friend of mine was running sound and he managed to pour a beer down the sound board. Amazingly, it still worked, except channel 9 didn't work.

Good to hear you found something useful to do during a bad show.

Something tells me that a drunk sound board would have more than just channel 9 not working.

Just a thought...

Something tells me that a drunk sound board would have more than just channel 9 not working.

Just a thought...

You must not have done very many bar band gigs in your life... the old analog touring boards could sometimes take a direct hit from a full pitcher, and after 20 minutes with a hair dryer, be back in business (Granted, these were the consoles that made Peaveys sound high class, and you wouldn't get away with it on one of today's digital desks). For boards that would go from a -20 F station wagon to a humid bar and back on a nightly basis, a little beer wouldn't do much more than make the faders a bit stickier.

Still, fluids and electricity aren't the best of combinations. Chances were equally good that something crucial would release its magic smoke, and you would be done for the night.

You should have been expelled. In my opinion there is nothing funny about drinking on the job, even if you're just working the board. And though the show was horrible is is no excuse to be drinking. Not only can it put everyone in danger because you now lack the ability to think clearly but it's so unprofessional.

I had to deal with two girls coming into a day of tech week drunk and I was livid. One of them was supposed to help me focus lights off our second catwalk but it ended up being only me since she was drunk. I told them that if they ever came in like that again I would notify our supervisor, the police (as they were both very underage), and then I sent them both home.

I have absolutely no tolerance for that kind of behavior in the workplace. Especially when you're doing dangerous work that requires your full and sober attention. I hope to never come across that sort of situation again.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't have any sympathy in that case, you should never have any liquid near a console.

Funny story btw xD

lol Soxred,
Well, I put my drinks on the floor next to me, I am at the like edge of the seats in the back of the house with the light board, so someone from the play sneaks into the house, because his script was to run down the aisle, so he like, slides into my can of soda xD I made him get paper towels xD Good thing he didn't miss his cue.
Note to self, bring bottles, not cans, and put them on the inside part, not outside. :p

Yeah, I think what went wrong here is that you decided to drink on the job... My theory is that no matter how boring the show, and no matter how little work you have to do, it is kinda your job to be bored s***less and deal with it. The big issue for me is if you had a situation crop up, what would you have done? I was working on a show once, during tech, and could have been smashed. Until the swing on the set broke, and me and the TD had to fix it during intermission. Have fun up a 20' ladder after drinking a few beers. And that probably wouldnt happen, but it could. Its just a straight up bad idea, and could result in a lot of unnecessary risk. Drink your beer at home, or in a bar, always use a DD, and dont do it underage. Once thats met, have fun!

In highschool a few actors came to rehearsal drunk. And they were the kind that were ditzy and gullible sober.

The drama teacher and student director had a hay day with those two.
It was great amusement for the rest of us.
"can you do that scene again"

We used to do a ragae festival every year and the road manager would sit on a road box smoking wacky tabaky and call the pack. Luckily he was smart enough to watch and not help.

I have coffee in the booth all the time.

Now, I've heard stories of a show, and I think this is the same show that I always here the 'awful director' horror stories about, a few years back, where water bottles were actually painted black and filled with various sorts of alcohol so the crew could carry them on stage. Apparently the show was just that awful. This was a few years ago, and apparently they managed to not break anything or anyone, luckily. I'm fairly certain that wouldn't happen again, due to the disastrous amount of destruction that we unleashed last show, sober no less, and the ensuing safety concerns for our next show. Still, the idea of a drunk flyman is more than a little bit scary.

We used to do a ragae festival every year and the road manager would sit on a road box smoking wacky tabaky and call the pack. Luckily he was smart enough to watch and not help.

The very worst is when the crew is plastered during setup. There was a show that came through called "Margaritaville"that the entire crew were drinking (heavily) during setup and tear down and was the worst professional conduct I had yet seen.
It isn't safe nor sane to drink on the job. Things happen and if you are not prepared to deal with the situation because you are drinking it will for sure look bad on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back