behringer x32

Since you are typically linking stereo pairs, if you unlink them then it seems to make sense to leave them as left and right rather than assuming they would be center panned.

But if you are unlinking them, one would think that you no longer want them to be treated as a stero pair and would want them to go back to individual channels. Thus, if the console is smart enough to auto pan L&R when you link 2 channels, it should also un-pan when you unlink them. In my opinion.

But if you are unlinking them, one would think that you no longer want them to be treated as a stero pair and would want them to go back to individual channels. Thus, if the console is smart enough to auto pan L&R when you link 2 channels, it should also un-pan when you unlink them. In my opinion.
I think the logic is that linking two channels indicates that they are a stereo pair. I can see where someone might link a pair and then unlink them to adjust the relative level of the two channels but I don't see how often someone would be linking and unlinking a channel pair while also bouncing between stereo and mono and I would guess that may be Behringer's logic behind how it currently works.

I think the logic is that linking two channels indicates that they are a stereo pair. I can see where someone might link a pair and then unlink them to adjust the relative level of the two channels but I don't see how often someone would be linking and unlinking a channel pair while also bouncing between stereo and mono and I would guess that may be Behringer's logic behind how it currently works.

Say you had a CD player (for example) on a stereo pair, so you linked them together. It automatically panned them left and right for you. Later you decide you don't want that CD player there, and you need to make room for your big 16+ member jazz choir, so you unlink the pair so you can fit more vocalists mics. In this case, it would be nice to have them automatically return to being panned center. I personally think Brads scenario is more likely to occur than mine, however it is an option they may wish to add in at a later date, where a user could choose whether they want it to pan automatically when unlinked. But to pan to channels back to center can't be too difficult.

I agree that unlinking a stereo pair should return the channels to center. I also feel that linking a pair does not necessarily mean they should be hard panned. I almost never hard pan stereo channels. Either way, the situation that you are describing would be rare enough that I really don't think it's an issue. Besides, how hard is it to turn two knobs?

I guess I need to read up on what DCAs actually do. What you said implies that (when assigned, in this case) they are an *additional gain* stage in the path, so that the fader still has a relative effect (and therefore needs to be parked at 0). By "it changes the sends" as well, do you mean that the DCA gain is always "pre-aux", even if the aux is set to "pre-fader"? (ie. the order is DCA, pre-fader aux send, fader, post-fader aux send)? That would be fine, as I don't ever use pre-fader aux sends from channels (or, at least, not ones that I'd want to have DCAs attached to).

Nope. A bus that is configured as a group would be an additional gain stage. A DCA (or VCA on an analog console) is merely a remote control for whatever fader or faders the operator cares to assign to the DCA. A DCA can control one channel, every channel, or any number in between. Or it can control one or more buses (aux or FX sends). Or it can control a combination of channels and buses. If desired, a channel or bus can be assigned to more than one DCA (for instance one DCA for all the drum channels, and another DCA for all the drum channels and all the other channels of the band). Whatever makes the task of mixing easier. (Dave Rat has a video or two on YouTube regarding advanced DCA uses.)

Nope. A bus that is configured as a group would be an additional gain stage. A DCA (or VCA on an analog console) is merely a remote control for whatever fader or faders the operator cares to assign to the DCA. A DCA can control one channel, every channel, or any number in between. Or it can control one or more buses (aux or FX sends). Or it can control a combination of channels and buses. If desired, a channel or bus can be assigned to more than one DCA (for instance one DCA for all the drum channels, and another DCA for all the drum channels and all the other channels of the band). Whatever makes the task of mixing easier. (Dave Rat has a video or two on YouTube regarding advanced DCA uses.)

Got it. Makes perfect sense. Thanks! :)

Hey, Joe, or other Behringer peeps around here:

I've been holding out for the new products before buying an X32 because I want to ensure the most flexible system for my needs, and I have a couple of questions. Mainly, can the X32 console interface with the Rack device? I am thinking that I'd like to have an X32 Rack to use as a small compact rig. I have a few bands as clients that can be mixed in 16 channels but because of the type of gig (lots of benefits, corporate type settings) I can't have a FOH position, so I typically use the iPad with the mixer on the side of the stage. I've run into a few situations where having a 32 channel console on stage takes up too much space, even if it's not manned. So situation one is simple enough: Rack, iPad, collect money

Here's where it gets more complicated. I like to be as modular as possible so besides this basic setup I would want the Rack to serve a multitude of functions. Is it possible for a full size X32 to derive its inputs from the Rack and bypass the processing? I'd like to be able to have a Rack and S16 in a rack together to do 32 channels via iPad, but then it would be great to be able to patch an X32 right into it. I was actually hoping for an X32 surface in this new lineup. I'm going to be using either a Rack/S16/iPad or an X32/stagebox with digital snake, so personally I will probably never use the local I/O of the X32.

While I'm asking here... What about interfacing the other products with internal processing? Say I were to buy a Producer and S16 as well as an X32. Could I use the Producer/S16 combo on stage as a monitor console then run Cat5 to an X32 at FOH? Any other weird uses and combinations I've forgotten? :) Thanks!

I'm wondering if we're any closer to knowing availability of the new stuff in the X32 range, specifically the Compact?

I'm in the process of getting funding to get a new console in time for a theatre production opening early May, and although part of me says I should just stretch to the full-sized X32 for future-proofing (and to get 16 real channel faders - see my earlier questions in this thread), I can also think of equally useful things to spend that extra $500 on.

Is it possible for a full size X32 to derive its inputs from the Rack and bypass the processing? I'd like to be able to have a Rack and S16 in a rack together to do 32 channels via iPad, but then it would be great to be able to patch an X32 right into it. I was actually hoping for an X32 surface in this new lineup. I'm going to be using either a Rack/S16/iPad or an X32/stagebox with digital snake, so personally I will probably never use the local I/O of the X32.

I think what you are asking in a nut shell, is can an X32rack act as a S16 snake head - yes
Can you cat 5 from an X32rack, and s16 to an X32 and have the control at the X32 yes...

Can the X32 rack, or producer be a monitor console on stage, and then cat 5 to the X32 out front.... yes...

All of the products "talk" to eachother via the AES50 network, so basically you are just "pointing" the X32 to where you want the input sources to be coming from.

I've been holding out for the new products before buying an X32 because I want to ensure the most flexible system for my needs, and I have a couple of questions. Mainly, can the X32 console interface with the Rack device? I am thinking that I'd like to have an X32 Rack to use as a small compact rig. I have a few bands as clients that can be mixed in 16 channels but because of the type of gig (lots of benefits, corporate type settings) I can't have a FOH position, so I typically use the iPad with the mixer on the side of the stage. I've run into a few situations where having a 32 channel console on stage takes up too much space, even if it's not manned. So situation one is simple enough: Rack, iPad, collect money

Here's where it gets more complicated. I like to be as modular as possible so besides this basic setup I would want the Rack to serve a multitude of functions. Is it possible for a full size X32 to derive its inputs from the Rack and bypass the processing? I'd like to be able to have a Rack and S16 in a rack together to do 32 channels via iPad, but then it would be great to be able to patch an X32 right into it. I was actually hoping for an X32 surface in this new lineup. I'm going to be using either a Rack/S16/iPad or an X32/stagebox with digital snake, so personally I will probably never use the local I/O of the X32.

While I'm asking here... What about interfacing the other products with internal processing? Say I were to buy a Producer and S16 as well as an X32. Could I use the Producer/S16 combo on stage as a monitor console then run Cat5 to an X32 at FOH? Any other weird uses and combinations I've forgotten? :) Thanks!

Hi,

The X32 RACK can connect to the X32 via Ethernet (AES50) to create a digital split, for use as a FOH / Monitor console, as you describe.
With the current implementation, the X32's control surface would NOT be able to control the X32 RACK. For smaller gigs or in a pinch, the X32 RACK can also be completely controlled using the encoders and screen on the front panel. Another option is to connect your PC, Mac, or Linux computer directly to the X32 RACK via Ethernet and use XControl for a hard-wired solution. XControl also will work over a wireless network.

You can use the X32 Rack to split and send mic signals to your X32 via AES50, (in place of an S16, as you describe). The only thing to consider here is that the X32, (currently), has no access to mic preamp control on the X32 Rack. With the ability to connect up to 10 devices to the X32 Rack via a Wired/Wireless Network, (as long as you have an iPad or computer at FOH), this may or may not be an issue for you. Another advantage to this kind of setup is in the unlikely event that anything should go wrong with your X32, you would have a fully functioning 32-channel backup X32 with the combination of the S16 and X32 RACK ready to go.

Each X32 and S16 has 2 AES50 Ethernet connections. Because AES50 is a bi-directional 48x48 channel system, you can split and share audio between consoles. There is a page in the ROUTING menu on the X32 that determines what that console is sending down its' 48 AES50 outputs, (there is a separate page for each of the 2 ports).
So in your example, you could bring signal into the X32 PRODUCER using a combination of Local Mic Preamps & S16 Mic Preamps. From there you could route all 32 of these signals out of the AES50 B port to an X32, X32 COMPACT, X32 PRODUCER, or X32 CORE. The signal being sent would be a digital split, taking place just after A/D conversion before any processing takes place. This is great when employing a second console for Monitor position or broadcast.

Best regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

We have started a new Tech Talk Series on the BEHRINGER forum. We will be covering any hot topics we are getting questions about.

The S16 Digital Snake has been shipping for the past few months and we have noticed an increase in the number of setup questions. The first Tech Talk covers this topic.

http://forum.behringer.com/showthread.php?853-BEHRINGER-Tech-Talk-01-S16-and-X32

Keep an eye on the X32 Resources area for more additions to the BEHRINGER Tech Talk Series.
Also feel free to let us know of other topics you would like to see in the future.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

x32 and the s16s(sounds like a weird band name)

So my boss when and got this Behringer X32 and two e snakes. I'm setting it up, got the ethernet cable run(200 feet) and the board sees them, i have them set up in stand alonemode. heres the issue. I can't control them, i've plugged my computer into one of the local channels and it will not come out of the speakers, I've also plugged directly into the snake, and the board has no control over the channel. HELP. tech started today, thanks to my boss i'm running this one with much concern, and could use some immediate help here. you can call if from the us, 7243665516. thanks

Re: x32 and the s16s(sounds like a weird band name)

Have you made sure your patch is correct in settings, so the console is actually communicating with the S16e?

as far as i know, but once again, this board was kind of a surprise on me, and def a noob when it comes to this guy. help? how to set up? kind of cutting close.

as far as i know, but once again, this board was kind of a surprise on me, and def a noob when it comes to this guy. help? how to set up? kind of cutting close.

Page 30 of the manual shows the basics of connecting to the stage boxes.

Private Message member JoeSanborn. He is from Behringer, and posted earlier in this thread. They have made it clear that they are here to help our members and stand behind in support of their products.

I suggest that after your show is over, your boss set up some time for training on the new board for all potential end users. This should be an integral part of the integration of any new board, no matter how experienced the user is.

When you get an opportunity, please stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself. We hope that you stay and enjoy your time here.

~Dave

Does anyone know what the maximum number of scenes is for the X32? I thought I read/heard 100 someplace but cannot find it now. Also, what is a fair price for this console in your market? Thanks!

Edit: I found the brochure lists 100 scenes internal. Is there a limit to the # that can be stored on the USB drive?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back