behringer x32

Dreadpoet

Holy Cow!!! I just came from my sound supplier and he had a Behringer X32 un-boxed and I gotta say I was impressed....did I just say that??? Behringer is not exactly known for their exemplary quality yet I saw something that seemed well thought out, well designed and well made. Here is the kicker...it is around a $3000 price point. I will say that I did not get a chance to listen to it or whatever...but I was rather impressed. I do hear that they are currently on backorder as demand seems to be rising and the price may be rising to some degree with the demand. However, if Behringer can make a fully digital console with all the bells and whistles as some of the bigger boys...I see a definite game change on the rise in terms of affordable digital consoles.

You do realize that Midas' development team had a pretty heavy hand in this console? At the end of the day, I could careless what name is on it...so long as it "honks".

We had one act come in recently with ADA-8000 units for all of their pre amps. It sounded pretty decent. Behringer is starting to get much better. I have heard pretty good things about this new console as well. It will give the 01V a run for its money.

The check is in the mail.
Iraq has WMDs.
It's not you...it's me.
No way does that make you look fat.
A Behringer board will not let you down.

I don't think that statement will be true much longer.

I admit to being a big behringer hater (and I have the expierences to back it up), but this console does look interesting. The Mackie sr24.4 in our main space at school has long passed its sell by date, and we are in the market for a smaller format digital console. We have been considering a few Yamaha boards and a presonus studio live, maybe I'll throw this on the table as well. The features listed make it look mighty impressive for the price.....

The X32 has been generally well received, although we will have to wait to see how the durability and reliability play out. But there are two aspects that may want to be considered when comparing it to others options.

The first is distribution. Although they will sell some units, the primary sellers of the X32 are not going to be contractors, integrators, production companies, etc., it's going to be online and mass market retailers. Thus the distribution and support model is more that of MI than of pro audio. For example, as a Consultant I have been unable to find out who I should contact and not only had a Behringer rep tell me flat out that they had no idea who I should contact but then suggested that I call the consumer support line with any questions.

Somewhat related, I think you are seeing a shift in support for products like the Behringer X32, Presonus StudioLive, Software Audio Console, etc. from the support coming from dealers and manufacturers to the users themselves are the primary form of tech support via online forums and user groups. I recently spoke with a Allen & Heath rep who noted that because it opened up some new dealers and markets, the GLD-80 posed a support challenge that has them rethinking how they may offer support for some products. Basically, they can't afford to have highly trained, experienced techs sitting around answering "where do you plug this in" questions on products that are low margin to start with and many of the dealers selling them can't or can't afford to answer such questions, so the manufacturers are having to look for other ways to address that level of support. And taking advantage of the user base potentially offers a low cost way to do that. So I would not be at all surprised to see the X32 tech support being more user based than manufacturer or dealer based.

Last edited:
Somewhat related, I think you are seeing a shift in support for products like the Behringer X32, Presonus StudioLive, Software Audio Console, etc. from the support coming from dealers and manufacturers to the users themselves are the primary form of tech support via online forums and user groups. I recently spoke with a Allen & Heath rep who noted that because it opened up some new dealers and markets, the GLD-80 posed a support challenge that has them rethinking how they may offer support for some products. Basically, they can't afford to have highly trained, experienced techs sitting around answering "where do you plug this in" questions on products that are low margin to start with and many of the dealers selling them can't or can't afford to answer such questions, so the manufacturers are having to look for other ways to address that level of support. And taking advantage of the user base potentially offers a low cost way to do that. So I would not be at all surprised to see the X32 tech support being more user based than manufacturer or dealer based.

"Thank you for buying our product. If you have any questions, don't bother us. Go look on the internet. They might know."

If a company eliminates customer service because they believe it costs too much. I suspect that they will not have customers for very long.

A smarter idea would be to offer free customer service for the first 90 days, then offer technical assistance via a 1-900 number that charges a set fee. Those 1-900 numbers can be used for something other than talking dirty...

Hi Guys,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Joe Sanborn, I am the Channel Marketing Manager at BEHRINGER.

I read some of the comments and want to assure everyone that you will be amazed by the service you will receive on your X32.

Please send me a PM with questions at anytime. Or in the rare case you have a service issue, I am here to support you.

We are so confident in our new manufacturing capabilities, (having just spent 20 million dollars in improvements), that we have extended our warranty to a 3-year warranty.
You will also see Patrick Ferdig, our VP CARE (service), directly responding to any service issues.

I personally have been a sound engineer for the past 25 years and fully understand the level of support you need on a digital console.

If you have feature-set requests or suggestions, we are also open, and I will push those to our development team. With the recent launch of the X32, our development team has been lighting fast at releasing firmware upgrades.

Also anyone who would like an X32 demo please let me know and I will arrange this if possible.

You may want to check out the forum:
http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/4393-x32-discussion-86.html

I am here if and when you need me, and I stand 100% behind this product.

Best,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:
It's been made very clear by both Uli and Joe that it's a brave new world at Music Group.
I look forward to seeing the result.

Hi Guys,
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Joe Sanborn, I am the Channel Marketing Manager at BEHRINGER.

I read some of the comments and want to assure everyone that you will be amazed by the service you will receive on your X32.

Please send me a PM with questions at anytime. Or in the rare case you have a service issue, I am here to support you.

We are so confident in our new manufacturing capabilities, (having just spent 20 million dollars in improvements), that we have extended our warranty to a 3-year warranty.
You will also see Patrick Ferdig, our VP CARE (service), directly responding to any service issues.

I personally have been a sound engineer for the past 25 years and fully understand the level of support you need on a digital console.

If you have feature-set requests or suggestions, we are also open, and I will push those to our development team. With the recent launch of the X32, our development team has been lighting fast at releasing firmware upgrades.

Also anyone who would like an X32 demo please let me know and I will arrange this if possible.

You may want to check out the forum:
X32 discussion - Page 86

I am here if and when you need me, and I stand 100% behind this product.

Best,
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

It's always nice to see people from various manufacturers as members of the Control Booth community. Welcome!

I'm very glad to see that you stand behind your product and offer free technical support.

My opinions on Behringer products are based on my experience with your equipment. I used to use a Behringer mixer, but that is no longer used - it's an older board and there's just too many things wrong with it. I LOVE your CT-100 tester - works like a charm and the price can't be beat. I thought quality was an issue with some of your offerings, but I'm willing to keep an open mind with your X32.

I did read about your new factory in the city of Zhongshan in Guangdong Province, China. Is anything still made in Germany or is all your equipment now made in China? Just curious.

I have to be honest, this is exactly the type of comment that troubles me. From what others at Behringer have said and what is in the product warranty statement, the X32 has a one year warranty. If you buy a X32 and do not register it then it has a one year warranty. That warranty can be apparently extended to three years if you register the unit with MUSIC Group soon after purchase, however many of the components that traditionally would be most likely to break or fail on a mixer such as meters, faders, pots, I/O connectors and essentially anything with which you physically interact are still limited to one year of coverage. So for a product like the X32 the warranty offered seems to effectively be a one year warranty that can rather easily be extended to three years on the chassis and internal components. That is still better warranty coverage than most other mixers and is a positive, however I think people should be provided an accurate representation.

Hi Brad,
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

As I stated in the original post we are here to help.

While yes there are restrictions, as in any warranty, I fully agree with you that this is still better than most companies in our industry.

As this forum is an X32 forum, I am mainly here to help, and reinforce that if you buy an X32, you have someone to contact for questions on operation and in the rare case you need service. The X32, and related X32 products such as S-16, P16 and the EUROCOM range of install products, represent a huge move forward for BEHRINGER. *We understand that you need the support and want you to know you will get it.

For clarity, below are links to the BEHRINGER warranty on our website:
BEHRINGER: Support

BEHRINGER: Limited Warranty

The most important thing with a product such as the X32 is fast, direct access to support, in the rare case you might need it.
Our Las Vegas repair facility can be reached directly by calling:
702-800-8290
option 1 for tech support
If it is related to X32 please ask for Chase.

Thank again for your feedback.

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited:
Hey, Joe, and welcome to Control Booth! It's great to have you here. It seems that Behringer presence amongst online forums has really stepped up with the release of this console. I wish you all the best in trying to create a new and improved name in Behringer products.

On another note, Release the S16 already!! Testing, shmesting.... I want a digital snake right now! :)

Hey, Joe, and welcome to Control Booth! It's great to have you here. It seems that Behringer presence amongst online forums has really stepped up with the release of this console. I wish you all the best in trying to create a new and improved name in Behringer products.

On another note, Release the S16 already!! Testing, shmesting.... I want a digital snake right now! :)

Hi,
Thanks, I really appreciate that!
I hear you on the S16. I'm looking forward to these coming out as well! Should make life much easier. Will try to give you guys a heads up when they might hit the market.

Have a great weekend!

Best
Joe Sanborn
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Does anyone know what the overall max channel count is?

We have two of these in our shop. Two other sound companies have them as well. Don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em...

Anything else you'd like to share? How do you like it compared to other small digital consoles, such as the LS9?

If it is related to X32 please ask for *Chase.

*Only when calling...unless Behringer wants to send me an X32 to [-]play[/-] use... ;)

Does anyone know what the overall max channel count is?

Anything else you'd like to share? How do you like it compared to other small digital consoles, such as the LS9?

*Only when calling...unless Behringer wants to send me an X32 to [-]play[/-] use... ;)

The question is how good is it compared to the 01V... which is what price range it is in. That is all it has to beet. If if beats out the LS9, which comes in 3x more expensive, great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back