Black Or Silver?

adude23

Just wondered what everyone preferred, Black Or Silver Par cans? LED or Not?

I have uses for all types, depends on the show, whether they will be seen, what effect I want them to have if they're seen, etc. There's a time and a place for all of 'em.

Black multipars that take HPL/GKVs. They look sleek, and the consumables can be used for other fixtures too. But as soundlight said, there is a place for everything.

Since you mentioned LED, you also have to count the cost of an LED parcan that will have the equivalent output of a standard parcan. For even a PAR56, this probably means Luxeons. And not just a few.

I agree, it depends on the show and budget. As a whole, I prefer black PAR64non LED. I only use the silver if we want the look, which is rare.

~Dave

Black for theatre - silver for touring rock n roll.

Some of the newer LED offerings are not only becoming affordable but powerful as well. Irrandiant's LEDPRO64 features 36 one watt LEDs for around $ 300.00. Visual Effects LE05 offers 339 half watt LEDs for about $ 200.00.

I must say i do prefer black as they're not as obvious to the audience, also i find if you have silver Par's they often reflect unwanted light which can sometimes ruin an effect. I do however use the silver version for as some of you have said concerts/dance shows etc. where if you do get some unwanted reflections it tends not to matter as they are usually brighter shows anyway
hmm let's keep this thread going it's interesting to hear other people's views :)

I only use the silver if we want the look, which is rare.
I've only been around one show that had specified silver pars for a look, and the show was very 80s rock and roll. They were going to be used mainly for one scene, and when the budget was expanded, they were traded for RGB LED strips for back light. So, I wouldn't know, but I'm fond of our black PAR64s from the local supplier's garage sale.

Plus, in a black box setting, would you want the glistening aluminum up there as a distraction?

For theatre, nothing really beats the steel Altman PAR64.
proxy.php

Aluminum Altman cans (PAR64-AL)
proxy.php

are rare and still heavier than the Thomas/TomCat/generic spun aluminum ones.

Rock&Roll cans don't take accessories very well.
proxy.php

Nor do they hold their focus particularly well for longer than one night.

As for truss, black always (budget allowing) unless one intends to use toners. One can hang black cans on natural truss, but the reverse looks dumb, even after Labor Day.:)

Whenever I see LED PAR 64 and think what it means, namely light emitting diode parabolic aluminized reflector 64 [1/8"], it is always a source of amusement.

Well, it all depends on the show, really.

Theater, Black, unless they are hiding someplace out of sight and far away.

For rock and roll, I could care less as long as everything works. All the 120k rigs I've worked with lately were source four pars and rarely par 64s.
All we have are sf pars.

But if I were doing a show for some mega 80's hair band, I would totally spec SILVER CANS ONLY.

ROCK.

When I was on tour with Teddy Pendergrass in the late 70's and early 80's we carried 120 Altman Par 64's but that was probably before you were born. ;)

Yup. It was. But I [-]think[/-] know my high school had 8 Altman Par 64's... They worked very well, I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back