Blacklight

- More fixtures for the $$
- Can place more in separate areas (ie, L - C - R and rear) to eliminate directional issues
- Less wattage = more per circuit
- Cheaper bulbs
- Instant startup
- Nice and light if you move them around (compared to a bulky mercury vapour fixture)
However, there are a few upsides to the mercury vapour bulb fixtures:
- produce a more "clean" UV light with less white light compared to the flourescent tubes
- has a hanging bracket

Patrick T

Fluorescent lamps are less efficient and also cannot be used without sleeves over them unless one chooses the possibility of phosphor/trace amounts of mercury - beyond the falling glass of a broken tube to be in the acting area. Could be really dangerous and could be frouned upon in a school setting unless at most a foot light.

That said, sure, why not and been used lots. Good wash of light.

Tube guards in theory by way of manufacturing are UV-stop. Never got a good answer about this question but it's a bad thing where using a tube guard over a black light lamp is concerned - sort of blocks at least some of the output as a theory.

That's a limitating factor. Shouldn't use them without tube guards, yet the tube guards in theory at least block some of the UV-A output.

Can rig the things to hang but they really are not as safe to be hanging plus they tend to take up a lot of pipe space. Could be some NEC code issues dependant upon wiring also but not as much of a problem.

This said, I'm a fan of fluorescent fixtures also, just with cautions for applications.

Gafftaper,
Do yourself a huge favor and forget the 400w cannons. Creating UV by subtraction yields little usable output.

Subtraction... I never thought about how they work. So are you saying that the Mercury Vapor instruments essentially are just a Woods Glass treated Lamp?

Re: Ships concern about flourescent tube safety. It looks like that Elation product Bill posted a link to has a glass cover on the instrument... pretty slick looking. Like you suggeested, it's probably not the most durable product but it looks like it's got some good safe bang for the buck.

We have several hundred of the UV Washes being used by mobile DJs every weekend with surprisingly few calls for replacement bulbs.

We use two of the UV Washes for a dance show we do every year. We hang them 15' high over the apron of the stage and get complete coverage of the 44' x 28' stage area.

Yes, the cannons simply filter all of the 400w mecury vapor bulbs output except the UV wave length.

Gafftaper,
BTW, is the Moore theatre still in operation in downtown Seattle? I did 6 weeks there in 1971.

The Moore is still going strong. I sort of know the guy who is the TD there. It's one of those really well run theaters that is badly in need of a few million for a renovation. There are concerts there all the time. The good news is I think it's owned by the people who own the Paramount theater. They just spent a ton on a beautiful renovation at the Paramount so there might be hope for some money to be spent at the Moore too. No inside info there, just my speculation.

We have several hundred of the UV Washes being used by mobile DJs every weekend with surprisingly few calls for replacement bulbs.
We use two of the UV Washes for a dance show we do every year. We hang them 15' high over the apron of the stage and get complete coverage of the 44' x 28' stage area.
Yes, the cannons simply filter all of the 400w mecury vapor bulbs output except the UV wave length.

I agree that the UV Washes are lighter, certainly safer than the traditional long tube models but AFAIK the fluorescent tube works the same way filtering out the visible spectrum and that the advantage of mercury vapor is that it actually emits more output in the UV spectrum.

http://members.misty.com/don/uvbulb.html#fl

Sharyn

I bought a Chauvet 400watt "Black Shadow" for $320.00 from Theatrefx.com and was pretty pleased with the results. I was trying to light UV paint on costumes from a pretty long throw. I regretted not having more than one instrument and yes I had to take my other lighting way down to achieve the effect. However, if you are working in a black box and wanting to light a drop I would think that two of these 400 instruments would give you the "pop" you're looking for.

So, if a Mercury Vapor black light is just a lamp with a woods glass filter built in. What's the difference in output between that and throwing a woods glass filter on a Source4? Does a Mercury Vapor lamp put out more UV than a HPL 750?

Simple answer, yes.

Arc source lamps put out a broad spectrum of visible and invisible UV & IR light due to the arc going thru them. A very broad amount of light centerd around what gasses are used to maintain or stabilize the arc of light. Sodium Vapor lamps for instance will have very limited amounts of UV light but high amounts of IR light.

DUV 35 Philips#29345-6(293451) HID, SE. MPXL HR. (High UV Output) 35w/85v T-10.7mm 3.8mm LCL 27.1mm P32d Burn Horz ±10 (UV-A 4.5w, UV-B 0.8w, UV-C 0.37w ∼1,500 Lum 500hr

HPA 400SE Philips #198228 Med. Pressure CL, SE. HID, MH 400w/198v T-14mm 29mm LCL 51mm GY 9.5 (UV-A700w, -B120w, -C10w µW/cm Sq.) Horz ±10̊ >470w/<4.8w 750hr

This types of light having a lot of UV includes fluorescent, mercury vapor, xenon and high intensity discharge lamps. (Though HID lamps are a mixture of gasses including sodium and mercury normally optimized to provide most of the light in the visible light spectrum.)

Dependant upon what type of discharge lamp it is, much of the light isn't even in the visible spectrum of light - this especially with mercury vapor or mercury vapor based fluorescent lamps. The arc or lightning within the glass tube is so intense that it's beyond one's ability to see it. Think of welding - you would tend to go blind if in arc welding you didn't have a special viser. That's the same type of light output in most arc source lamps esepcially in an un-filtered xenon, HID and Mercury Vapor source. This verses say brazing where a less intensive visor is necessary might be say a sodium vapor type of arc as opposed to xenon gas maintained arc of light. The rest of the arcs for the most part fall in between these types that is closely linked to color temperature.

Now think color temperature of most arc lamps or the range of color temperatures about 1,6K to 7,2K of arc lamps verses that 2,6K to 3,5K range of color temperature to that of a filament lamp. If the nm scale of UV light or magnetic spectrum doesn't mean much at this point, think color temperature instead and you will get some similar sense of what UV is in output. Not the same scale but both having some simularities. A un-color corrected incandescent lamp cannot do 7,2K - the filament burns up at around 3,5K. You can color filter/color correct to 7,2K but in doing so the amount of useful light given white light is a bell curve of all light - just more in the center than toards the edges, that light not blocked or filtered in absorbsion that would be 7,2K is very limited. Same with UV output out of a incandescent or taken for example HPL source. Yes, you can install a UV lens into a Leko, output of UV light would be about in the couple of candlepower range however once all other light was blocked out. Perhaps as a rough guess, you would have a 250 candlepower UV light output.

Coated phosphor coated arc source lights such as most fluorescents and mercury vapor lamps, or such light fixtures normally light by way of the UV light discharge from the arc, heating up the phosphors coating the inside walls of the lamp which incandescess by themselves not by way of the arc to provide the light. Note the greenish hue to often older phosphor coated school classrooms. That's a CRI or color rendering index question that's another topic but it's having to do with the phosphors used and or the amount of spikes of energy within the visible light spectrum which is useful as to how true to 100% sunlight and incandescent lamps that arc source spectrum of light is. Such phosphors in a normal arc source lamps coating also block out the often harmful UV output from the arc. Other types of arc source lamps have a more mid range visible light spectrum of light and filter out the UV and even IR light. UV Measured as: irrad at 0hr µW/cm Square. nm = Nanometer - A unit of wavelength equal to 10-9 meter. There is no conversion chart of specific conversion between color temperature and UV output - it's only a related scale.

On special coated UV lamps, the phosphor coating is replaced by a glass (above) or coating which blocks the harmful UV output, passes the UV-A black light output and to some extent - especially with black light blue fluorescent lamps, outputs a blue/purple light that's more visible and often more associated with black light output but really is not. Diazo lamp UV radiation is also to some extent useful. Rephography (sun tan) lamps are also good UV-A along with UV in general sources of light. These types of lamps as opposed to UV type lamps also let pass the more dangerous UV-B and UV-C light thru them. In other words, they will allow your UV paint to glow and let you get skin cancer and a tan at the same time. All of this is also distance based - the further away you are, the less the longwavelengths of UV light will effect you. It's a concept to use a Diazo or Rephotography lamp once filtered or lensed also as a UV lamp and in fact, some types of UV fixture use such lamps as a HPA Metal hallide arc source lamp. The 320nm range is what many tanning lamps will most operate at but they also have lots of other UV light output. I stock some tanning lamps that are also used in UV fixtures.

You can get UV lamps including the sandard 48" ones either way - Black Bight, or Black Light Blue. On a true black light lamp, you won't see a blue output unless some of the UV light is passing thru lenses or partially stopped by the glass. This will appear to some extent blue/purple but there will be no observable light output other than in reflection of what phosphors react to the light.

An arc source lamp is different than that of a filament lamp.

HPL lamps and all filament lamps, instead of having an arc that provides the light, they have a resister coil of tungsten and other compounds doped into them which resists the flow of current and sort of burns up by way of amperage running thru a wire with lots of resistance or is resisted in burning up to the extent of this resistance is turned to heat and the metal gets hot enough it incandescesses. Such burning of the metal - literally getting beyond red hot into white hot than provides light in much the same way as you can see not by the flames once they burn down but late at night by way of the coals of a fire place glowing. Those coals still glowing are similar to the metal of a filament resistant to the current flow. Most of the resistance is turned into heat with only some of it in output by way of the visible light spectrum just as an arc source provides most of it's output in other than visible light but a much more efficient amount of it.

That visible light / heat / light waves is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. About 380nm for violet to 770nm for red in wavelength. IR light is in the 770 to 1106 nm range and cannot be seen by the human eye but can be sensed by heat on the skin. UV light is in the 100 to 380nm range. It's further broken up into UV-A in the 315 to 400nm range (this is the useful UV light), UV-B 280 to 315nm and UV-C 100 to 280nm all useful for sun tanning lamps and or that cause skin cancer. The warnings on moving lights are due to UV B & C output of the lamps. This UV output normally effects the phosphors of a fluorescent lamp or coated mercury vapor lamp that convert unseen UV light into light from the visible spectrum, or the phosphors of a UV paint that do the same. UV is sort of a long wavelength light, IR is a short wavelength heat which can also be transformed by way of such things as the inner capsules on say a CDM type lamp where the ceramic capsule gets so hot that it glows in a way similar to a tungsten filament glowing. This is by me not much studying it yet - converting high wavelength IR light into visible light.

HIE150w/U/BDX Venture #33051 Blue SE. MH. HID Enclosed Fixt. 77% Satur. 150 w E-54mm LCL 89mm E-27 (HPS Ballast + Ign) Any Burn Pos. 462nm 5,000hr
HIE150w/U/GDX Venture #33520 Green SE.MH. HID Enclosed Fixt 46% Satur. 150 w E-54mm LCL 89mm E-27 (HPS Ballast + Ign) Any Burn Pos. 535nm 5,000hr
MH-400w/U/PDX Venture #33891 Pink SE. MH. HID Enclosed Fixt. 28% Satur. 400 w ED-37 LCL 7" E-39 (M59) Univ. Burn 635nm 5,000hr
MHL-250 Ushio #5000089 CL. DE, MH, HID UV-Blacklight Lamp 250w/125v T-15.5mm 15.5mm MOL 68mm R 7s UV-Housing Only, (Spect. Rng. 300-450nm) 500hr

‘TL’40w/03-RS Philips #928011300300 Actinic Radiation Fluorescent 380-420nm 40w/101v T-40.5mm MOL 1,213.6mm G-13 Diazo Copy/Aquarium/Phototheorpy Diazo 9.2w UV-A 0.35w 15%=2,000hr

F40T10BLB Ushio #3000138 Fluorescent Black Light Blue 39.5w/106v T-10 MOL 47.17" G-13 UV-A - 368nm UV-A 8.1w 5,000hr
TL 40/08RS Philips #928011300800 Fluorescent Black Light Blue LP. MV 40w/101v T-40.5mm MOL 1,213.6mm G-14 (MOLpt 1,199.4mm) Long Wave UV-A UV-A 9w 15%=2,000hr
F40T10BLB Ushio #3000138 Fluorescent Black Light Blue 39.5w/106v T-10 MOL 47.17" G-13 UV-A - 368nm UV-A 8.1w 5,000hr

Glass, plastic and other coatings normally absorb the long wavelength UV output of lamps thus my warning about tube guards in it being possible that a tube guard on a black light fluorescent lamp, could be limitating the output - this as with various lenses unless of those glasses and or lenses specifically designed to let pass the UV wavelength. Don't know much about "woods glass" it's a term I have heard before, but this would be assumed to be a type of glass that lets the longwave UV light pass without much blocking of it. Suprasil quartz is another type of glass that allows UV - that's also useful for xenon lamps in output to produce UV and in general allow for extra light. The lenses of a standard Fresnel, Leko or PAR would tend to block UV output, just as with most mercury vapor lamps, the only lamps permissible to be used in open fixtures (those without lenses) are the coated ones. Clear Mercury vapor lamps would be harmful in an open fixture.

(note also mention of wavelengths, TV, radio frequency, X-Rays etc. are also wavelengths of short of long type - visible wavenghts of light or those associated with light are within the same type of radiation.) Theater is science! Study Science and you master Theater.

Incandescent lamps do have a certain amount of UV output. A HPL lamp by itself will tend to have the harmful effects such as fading or discoloration on things like paintings and even tanning people given time, however this output is very limited, and normally the UV output is blocked by the lenses and color filters. MR-16 type lamps that have lenses often will also be "UV-Block", "UV-Stop", "UV-Cut" or "UV-Control" dependant upon what term is chosen by the manufacturer. This lens by itself blocks/absorbs some of the UV output, and often will have a special coating on it to further absorb the UV output. Such coatings are also used on arc lamps at times especially if a clear lamp making use of the small arc gap for control of the beam of the light or in having a fairly exposed beam of light without much by way of lenses or filters. The amount of UV output of a filament lamp is very limited. Filament lamps provide most of their light in the visible spectrum of light by way of a bell curve which doesn't have much light falling outside it and into the UV spectrum of light. There is some UV light output, but not a huge amount. See the Violet to Red nm scale above, than fill in your ROYGBV color spectrum to that visible spectrum of light. Most of the light produced by a filament lamp is withing the bell curve with only limited amounts of light outside the visible spectrum of light. There is a long way to go before the seemingly "blue/white" light of a HPL lamp gets into the UV range of light. It will have more UV light than say a incandescent lamp, and much more than say a candle but not nearly as much as a fluorescent or normal UV source of light. Even the incandescent black light party bulbs are more purple bulbs than real UV output lamps. There might be some filters and coatings to boost the UV output but not enough. IT's more a party bulb in providing the blue/purple light most associate with UV but not much in making phosphors glow.

Distance and the law of squares also has an effect on UV output - in other words, the further away, the less UV output - especially from a incandescent source of light. A primary other purpose of a fixture that has a reflector being more efficient than that of a fluorescent lamp is that the beam of light is reflected in a specific direction thus more efficient. Sort of the same question of using a Leko over a scoop or bare light bulb on stage. If you want to direct your light as opposed to wash it, a UV fixture will be more efficient by way of optics - beyond any lamp to lamp comparisons.

Last edited:
That is my understanding but Ship might know more.
Sharyn

Yep. It does look like Ship know's a LITTLE more. Dang Ship when are you going to write your book. You are amazing!

Nah, you'd need a pickup truck to take the book anywhere!

Ship you are amazing!

NOPE It'll be about 5 dvd's ;-) not enough trees for printing

SO Ship in your estimation the 400 watt merc vapor cannons, with a metal grill should outperform the 150 watt Flu glass protected?
Sharyn

No idea. Get me the lamp specs and "estimated" photometrics of the fixture and I would be no better off than anyone else. See the discussion and observations above of the Mac 250 verses the Mac 700 fixture one would assume out preforms.

Of those two on lamps

In assuming a Phillips MSD 250/2 lamp:
(CRI 65) x0.289y0.305 8,500̊K 18,000 Lumens 3,000hr

In assuming a Osram HTI 700w/D4/75 lamp:
7,500̊K 59,000 lumens/60,000cd/cm² 750hr

If one notes the luminous output of the two lamps, the Mac 700 should hands down be brighter by 2/3. If one compares color temperature based lumens, (much as with a HX-600/HPL lamp in comparison to a 1Kw FEL lamped Leko,) what appears brighter is not persay. - Only by way of color temperature voltage and fixture efficiency appears brigher. (Also in the case of the FEL add in the 120v/115v differences and smaller more efficient filaments to this mix, but a HPL/HX-600/FLK realistically is only realistically as bright as say a 800w lamp and not even as bright as an HX-800 lamp - 22,000 Lumens. Check the specs... a HPL 575/HX-600/FLK is at about 1,650 lumens - a FEL lamp is at about 27,500 lumens in output, now how is it that a HPL could in reality be as bright as a FEL in luminous output other than by way of voltage, optics and more specifically color temperature. Lots of wasted light on a FEL lamp - barbarically wasted light on a FEL and the amber shift, but still lamp to lamp, 1/3 more output than any HX-600/FLK/HPL 575w lamp. In sheer Luminous output, even a HPL 750 does not produce as much light.)

By way of filaments, the Mac 700 lamp uses a 4mm arc gap the Mac 250 uses a lamp with a 5mm arc gap so it's a little less efficient. One would think that other than in color temperature, that hands down the Mac 700 fixture should be 2/3 brighter - thus the problem with what specs show you verses what real life shows you.

One assumes that a 400w lamp out preforms a 150w lamp but it depends upon the specific application, lamp and fixture.

Last edited:
...wow...ship's talk looks like "leet speak"...I can feel my IQ dropping...
Your effortless fluency in eloquent jumbo is astounding, and your cooperation with us peons is much appreciated...(and by us I mean me...) What the heck do you do for a living?...
Well, feeling my brain slowly turn to mush, I am going to ask a series of annoying questions, from which anyone may answer if they want to...(provided they know more than I do...which is comparatively small...so mostly everyone...=))
This probably isn't the best place to post this (probably should start a new thread) but, good gravy, I'm going to post it here...enjoy
I know HPL's are used for s4 ERS, and for S4 Pars (with a little stick thingy) and that BTW's are used for Fresnels (correct me if I'm wrong for any of this), but what is the name of the huge kind used for a scoop?
Do they just use HPL's for follow spots? (not one of the nice HMI arcs, just a tungsten one. Lycian Midget for example..)
What exactly does HPL and BTW stand for for a bulb? (or is it just code...) Same thing for whatever is used for a scoop.
Why do the lamps for S4 PARs need the pokey stick thingy, and don't just use the regular metal clampy thingies?
Are the HPL's not as bright as the BTW's even though they have the same wattage? (the BTW seems to have more filament surface...)
Is my terminology correct in saying that an HPL uses a "coiled coil" filament, and the BTW is "bi-planar"? What are the names of the other kinds?
I heard that some bulbs are burn-base-down, and some are burn-base-up, but I also heard that the modern bulbs don't matter...is that true, or are the fresnels at my school in life-threatening jeopardy?
Why can't HID's be dimmed? (Why do they need a ballast, and what the gravy does it do?)
More of a survey, but do most theaters have repeated circuit numbers on their battens? So far only 1/3 I have seen do, but 9/10 people I talk to say that they are all like that...
Whoever has enough time and patience to answer all of these gets eleventy hundred browny points!!!

Schniapereli, Since I started this thread I'll try to help clean it up a little by answering some of your questions...

-What is the name of the huge lamp used in a scoop... it all depends on which scoop you are talking about.

-HPL, BTW, BTN, BTR, EHG, FEL etc... are all codes describing a style of lamp there are a couple hundred lamps out there. ANSI is responsible for creating the codes. There is no real meaning to the letters, they are just to identify that a lamp fit's a certain set of dimensions, electrical and photometric characteristics. I did a quick search and found this chart of some instruments and their preferred lamp. It's far from complete but it will certainly give you an idea of how complex it can be. http://virtualightstore.com/info/theatrical.html

-Are HPL's not as bright as BTW's even if they use the same wattage? Wattage is a measurement only of how much energy is consumed. It' is not a measurement of how bright the lamp is. Lumens is the measurement of how bright the light is. If I ask you how bright a lamp is and you say "575 Watts", that's the same as me asking how fast your car can go and you saying "25 miles to the gallon". The real question is how efficient is that lamp at producing light with the watts it burns up. Head down to your local mega-hardware store and spend a 10 minutes reading the packaging in the household light bulb department. Every package lists Watts and Lumens. You'll be amazed at the differences in lumen output. To make things more confusing in the theatrical lighting world, you also have to look at how well a specific lighting instrument does at capturing light from the lamp and sending it where we want it to go. Two different brands of ERS can have very different lumen outputs with the same wattage consumed. It all depends on the mirrors and lenses inside the instrument. So, back to your question, are an HPL and a BTW of equal wattage the same brightness? Probably not exactly the same but close. However, the end output of lumens depends more on the efficiency of the lighting instrument you put it in than the lamp output itself. Back in the old days when the Source4 first came out, Everyone was amazed that a 575 watt lamp could dramatically out perform a 750 watt lamp in a good old Altman 360.

-The Burn Base up/down question. Lamp position is something you need to pay attention to. There are still a lot of instruments out there that have to have a lamp in a specific position. It should be clearly labeled on the lamp packaging. I've never used them but there are even some lamps that have to be +/- 4 degrees from Horizontal.

-HID/Ballast questions. Your typical filament lamp operates on the principle of incandescence. You take a piece of metal, shove a bunch of electricity through it, it gets hot and glows. If you shove more electricity through it, it glows even more. An HID lamp is a gaseous discharge based lamp. Going to your chemistry class... if you take a gas and run the right electricity through it, it will glow. This is how neon signs work and PART of what is going on in fluorescent tube. You can't just run a bunch of 110 power through that tube of gas, it has to be "tuned" to work with the gas and maintain a perfect constant flow of electricity. That's what the ballast does.

-Repeated circuits. In the last 10 years the price of dimmers has dropped dramatically. They used to be extremely expensive and theaters often had a very limited number of dimmers. Because of this you typically had more circuits than dimmers and a patch panel in the back somewhere that allowed you to choose which circuit was powered by which dimmer. Another factor was that you had to use every spare watt of power available. So you would often need to run three or four instruments on the same circuit. In order to make this easier, theaters were wired with repeated circuits (think of it as built in two-fers). These days theaters can afford 5-10 times the number of dimmers they used to have so there is no longer the need for all the multiples. There is one other reason for repeated circuits on electrics and that is for strip lights. You will see four circuits that repeat all the way across every 6 feet so that your strips can all be circuited together.

That's it for me, someone else can handle the rest.

To add to the answer on HID dimming.
HID lamps operate by using two electrodes, seperated by a gap. You get an arc between the two electrodes. This arc excites the gas in the lamp - be it mercury vapour, sodium, or what not. I assume that you are aware of the time that it takes to warm up a discharge lamp. This is the process of exciting (warming up) all the gas so that it starts to emit light. Providing this ignition is one function of the ballast. The distance an arc can jump is directly linked to the voltage. If the voltage to a HID lamp was to be lowered by dimming etc. then the lamp may not be able to maintain the arc and if the arc goes, so does the entire lamp's light output. Dimming also changes the nature of the wave, and I assume that this has an adverse effect on the lamp and / or ballast, though I'm not sure how.

Hope that makes some degree of sense and helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back