Books Please...

mattyb240

Well, I'm usually more of a lampy so'n'so, but the time has come and I need to learn more about sound. Whilst I know some basic stuff, I would like a book that covers items, descriptions uses, going from basic to slightly more advanced. Not talking arena P.A's but something with live mixing would be good!

I have a feeling I'm asking to much! But I thought I would throw it out there to the internet God's of CB!

Many thanks,

Matt

Yahama Sound Reinforcement Handbook is a great place to start. Learn everything in that book and you're well on your way. Learn the principles of audio first, then applications.

Well, I'm usually more of a lampy so'n'so, but the time has come and I need to learn more about sound. Whilst I know some basic stuff, I would like a book that covers items, descriptions uses, going from basic to slightly more advanced. Not talking arena P.A's but something with live mixing would be good!

I have a feeling I'm asking to much! But I thought I would throw it out there to the internet God's of CB!

Many thanks,

Matt

The Yamaha book is one of your best bets. I know I've said it before but another fun book is The Sound Effects Bible. It may not be the exact direction you want, but they give basics on some equipment and tools as well as explaining how to record stuff, do foley, set up soundproof rooms, etc. Its a nice supplement that is pretty inexpensive and its fun, entertaining, and set out easily enough that its not hard to pick up new stuff.

Looking a my bookshelf:
Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Davis and Jones
Live Sound Reinforcement by Stark.
Live Sound Operators Handbook by Gates.
Art of Mixing, a visual guide to recording by David Gibson
Plus 2 electronics/electrical texts from college courses, a Protools 101 book and a random book on filter design

The Yamaha handbook definitely covers the principles and foundations, Live Sound Reinforcement is a similar text with more of a focus on live events. Both are good information but rather dry reading and slightly out of date as there is no mention of digital boards, DSP, or line array technology in either. Very good fundamentals though. Art of Mixing was a book from a recording class that I took. While it has no real relevant technical info, it discusses in great depth, and with excellent visual aides, the elements of building a mix. It's written for studio work but the concepts apply to live audio as well. I'll also suggest getting out on the web. Rane, Soundcaft, QSC, Crown, ProSoundWeb, and many others have technical papers and libraries full of great articles.

Cheers chaps I will check them all out! The Yamaha seems the way to go, but I must admit I was hoping for something a little more colourful! I'm just after a good grasp of the fundamentals and then building a little more.

Thanks guys!

I felt the same way about algebra, but sadly, without the fundamentals and an understanding of the science of audio, you'll be making it up as you go along, and before long, inproper techniques will stack up and frustration will result.

The good news is that with the knowledge you'll gain by studying the Yamaha book, you'll be heads above those who drive a console without understanding the science, and your skillset will grow far more rapidly.

Cheers chaps I will check them all out! The Yamaha seems the way to go, but I must admit I was hoping for something a little more colourful! I'm just after a good grasp of the fundamentals and then building a little more.

Thanks guys!

Just FYI, I have yet to find a good 'covers it all' audio book, much less one focused on theatre sound. The few I have seen that try seem to fall woefully short in one area or another, for example a book by an experienced studio engineer and musician that seemed to think themselves a live sound expert and published a book rife with errors, misconceptions and misleading information.

You have resources like the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook that can provide a good overview but that is not going to be a resource to really address 'how to mix' or 'how to record' or 'how to design/install a system'. It's great to have some familiarity with multiple aspects but at least initially you may have to look to resources on specific topics. As a system designer and acoustician, the books on my bookshelf, resources on my PC, etc. are probably quite different than for someone focusing on mixing or production, what is a good resource for one aspect of live sound may not address, or poorly address, other aspects. So just be aware that it may require multiple resources and try to avoid some of the 'jack of all trades, master of none' resources that are out there.

I learnt most my stuff from the Yamaha book, but it is mainly theory u do need to learn by doing, like most things. The Yamaha book showed me what to do and then i went on any desk/design job in my school i could get and improved on the stuff i learnt from the book.

Whilst I want a covers it all book, I know the chances are slim or poorly implemented, I want to grasp more of the basics and build upon it! I think I will be getting the Yammaha book as a point of reference to study, its always nice to know the substance of the product you are using after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back