Busking like a Boss

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
So I just got to go see the Carson and Barnes circus and the board OP was busking like a pro on and old avolite that looked like it had a roladex on the left side of the desk under the subs. I wish I would of gotten a video of it because it looked pretty awesome. Can anyone tell me what Avolite board it was?

That is most likely an Avo Pearl, though other Avo desks have the roller. The roller allows you to label up multiple pages of playbacks and easily switch between them.

Depending on the model, the Pearl Expert has 10 playbacks on each of the two rollers, and 10 pages, A-J on each of the rollers themselves.
Pearl Expert Titan
avolites-pearl-expert.jpg
Pearl Expert
9715-busking-like-boss-avolites-pearl-expert.jpg

Pearl 2004
9716-busking-like-boss-reg_8c0bdf06-19b9-d416-440e43dafd4eb54b.jpg

Then there's the tiger
9717-busking-like-boss-avolites-pearl-tiger-305913.jpg

Attachments

• 487414_10200894420197141_443593491_n.jpg
    487414_10200894420197141_443593491_n.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 396
  • avolites-pearl-expert.jpg
    avolites-pearl-expert.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3,048
  • reg_8C0BDF06-19B9-D416-440E43DAFD4EB54B.jpg
    reg_8C0BDF06-19B9-D416-440E43DAFD4EB54B.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • avolites-pearl-tiger-305913.jpg
    avolites-pearl-tiger-305913.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2,907
It switches the pages, no key strokes needed. I want to say the roller has 6 positions per playback.

It think depends on the model. The expert I have at work has 10 positions per playback. The regular pearls have 16 playbacks, the expert has 20 split into 2 separate rollers of 10 each. The expert also has 3 pages of playbacks, for a total of 600 total playbacks. The expert with the titan software also lets you turn the channel faders into playbacks making another 240 playbacks possible.

I think it's so funny the number of people here on CB that even know what a Pearl is. They're not great for theatre gigs but busking is THE reason people buy them. I have a Tiger and am on a gig with it right now. On the Pearl series (including the Tiger) the Rolacue is above the playbacks and below the channel handles. Yep, A-J on the rollers, and there are 3 pages of those. The Pearl 200X has 15 playbacks, the Tiger has 10, the Expert has 20 (on two sets of rollers). I don't have the Titan software on mine but being able to use any fader as a playback is HUGE. Good job, Avo.

Production house here... we have a pearl expert in house and I rarely see many others that use them. I'm personally moving onto our MA2 onPC over the pearl. Titan makes things on the board so much better, the fixtures and effects are all sorted out in folders for one, and it tends to run a little faster. Any fader as a playback... really beneficial sometimes.

Production house here... we have a pearl expert in house and I rarely see many others that use them. I'm personally moving onto our MA2 onPC over the pearl. Titan makes things on the board so much better, the fixtures and effects are all sorted out in folders for one, and it tends to run a little faster. Any fader as a playback... really beneficial sometimes.

I see a few come through every year. We see a lot of smaller, or past their prime musical acts that carry them.

We see a decent amount of them due to Creative Stage Lighting, the US distributor of Avo, is just north of here. If you need to run a 120k rig they are the console. The guys that carry them love them... and they tend to be the ones who really move with the show.

Not an avo, but still busking like a boss...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an avo, but still busking like a boss...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is a MagicQ. That guy also is the LD for NIN and does a similar thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice how forlorn the lonely gMA1 looks, just sitting there quietly doing its thing, while the MagicQ takes (requires) a pounding.

I hope that table was only used once cause it looks like its on its last leg ;)

So I just got to go see the Carson and Barnes circus and the board OP was busking like a pro on and old avolite that looked like it had a roladex on the left side of the desk under the subs. I wish I would of gotten a video of it because it looked pretty awesome. Can anyone tell me what Avolite board it was?
The guy running the board is Bill Dunn, Odyssey Lighting.... The board is Avolite Diamond 3...the man you are talking about is my husband!!

Nice, that was so long ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I read your post yesterday.... You were probably one of the people I told Bill was watching him....Bill is a fantastic Lighting guy....and I'm glad you posted about him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back