Control/Dimming Busking on an ION

Robersim

Hey,
So I am the resident lighting designer at my high school(I design and manage ALL events lighting wise) and we have an ION console. We have a series of two touring concerts coming in this week, and guess what, they aren't bringing a lighting guy, so I'm stuck busking the show. My question is:
What is the easiest way to busk on an ION, should I use the direct select modules, or should I Program it to subs. Any help is appreciated, and I hope I haven't left out any vital information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you turn subs into playbacks on that console? If so, that would be the way to go. Throw a series of chases on each playback and go at it. Handles and buttons are your friends.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you turn subs into playbacks on that console? If so, that would be the way to go. Throw a series of chases on each playback and go at it. Handles and buttons are your friends.

Yep! Subs can be playbacks! They can also act as mini-grandmasters, they can be exclusive from recording (for houselights and things), have cues loaded into them, or be proportional for things like non-intensity parameters.

Is there a way to label the fader on the LCD screen of the fader wings? We have two full size fader wings that I never use (command line guy) so I'm not very familiar with that aspect of the console.

Also, what kind of fixture is generally good for crowd blinders, as we just sold our two nine-lights

Again, Thanks
Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to label the fader on the LCD screen of the fader wings?

Yes, a little research will show you the "Label-Note" key which will open a virtual keyboard, and allow you to enter a label for whatever entity you're sitting in ( cue,sub, group- whatever) On a practical level, five or six characters is about the max for this.
For myself, I'm never far from a roll of 1" artists (NOT MASKING)tape and a black
sharpie............

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to label the fader on the LCD screen of the fader wings? We have two full size fader wings that I never use (command line guy) so I'm not very familiar with that aspect of the console.

Yes, when the fader is a sub anyway. When you record the sub, you can add [label] and then type your label for that sub. So the command line would look like [#] [record] [label] your label [enter]. Or, just [#] [label] your label [enter]

If you don't have the offline editor (OLE), I highly recommend you get from ETC (it's free), you can find it here: ETC Downloads Page It's at the bottom under "Off-Line Software".

Hint: If your using the offline editor, the label button shortcut is on your keyboard!

Or you could follow jstandfast's method! (posted simultaniously)(almost...)

After 18 mos. on the Ion, I'm (sad to say) back to white 1" gaff tape for labels, as the 6 character text on the LCD display on the wings, just doesn't do it.

Busking tricks:

- Build a Step based chase - "Effect, Effect, Effect, 1, Enter, Type Step Based", Step 1 - Yellow bax channels, 2 @ Red bax channels, 3 @ Pink bax channels, 3 @ Purple bax channels, for as many steps as needed. Set Step, In and Decay times as .2, Dwell as .5. Maybe build a second "slow" chase with the same using Copy To, then set all times to 1 sec. except Dwell as .5.

- Run the effect in Live as "Channels, XX, thru, XX, Effect, XX, Enter". Then record to a Sub - "Record, Sub, XX, Enter". Then select that Sub as an Effect Sub with "Sub, XX, Mode, Mode, Enter" (sets it as and Effects Sub).

You can also do a Cue Loop, which allows a manual step advance time. Yellow Bax channels to Full, Enter, Record, Cue, 1, Enter, Time, 0, Enter. Repeat add'l cues for add'l bax colors, with the final cue use the Link/Loop softkey to link back to the start cue. Maybe do a second cue loop as a separate cue list, for slow steps of 1 count, then record as "Cue, 2/1, Enter", then 2/2, 2/3, etc.... for add'l list (there's a method for Copy To: something like "Cue, 1/1/, Copy To, 2/1, Enter", it's on the ETC site).

Then Load the cue list on the fader. Press Fader Controls, then press and hold the Release softkey, while pressing both bump buttons on the fader you want the cue's played back on. Once released as a Sub the sub number goes away. Then press "Cue, 1/1, Enter", then press both bump buttons to load cue list 1 on the fader. Bump button now becomes a Go button.

How extensive is your lighting inventory? You can open multiple direct select modules, so once the show begins and you aren't relying on tombstones, that's not a bad way to supplement your faders.

How extensive is your lighting inventory? You can open multiple direct select modules, so once the show begins and you aren't relying on tombstones, that's not a bad way to supplement your faders.

Good advice, but note that while this can be useful if you have touch screen monitor(s), if you don't get good at programming and using subs to run chases and cue loops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back