Busking the improv shows

artable

Exposition: At my high school, we have a very good improv team. We have ETC express boards.
Interesting bit: They do improv after our full shows. Recently I started busking out basic lighting shifts; cyc changes between games/scenes, maybe a special here or there for a touch of dramatic effect...
But it doesn't touch hard enough!
Any ideas for how to use features on the express to, say, program looks that can be called up with the touch of a button? Like cues, except not on a stack. Id also like to record looks on the fly that can be called back for a game called revolver.

Also, is the ETC congo kid capable of this kind of busking? I've heared a *ton* of praise for that thing's ability to busk. I ask because we may be getting a new board for the little theater soon.

Even the light design I have been doing is adding a lot. Makes me wonder if an LD and a sound designer could or should be parts of an improv team.

The problem with lighting or sound being improv is everything we do is planned in some form, you can prepare by using a wide color selection, building a plot that adapts well but ultimately you are limited to what you've prepared. The chances of making magic with improv in lighting or sound is so slim that its literally like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Now that said you can get a bit more effect from using saturated colors, specific zones, and textures but you need to read the improv very well and be ready to fail completely at it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

So, Busking .....is Improv. However each ARE prepared for anything. You basic plot has a channel for every area. Groups arre your greatest friefriend . They are like subs without handle. BTW.. y [uu can make anything a group. Like GROUP CUE, grab the LOOK anytime. At ANY value.

Of course you can have a chase light effect set in subs or in cues. What about chasing an entire sequence of cues At the touch of a button.

GO TO BLIND RECORD CUE XXX TYPE SUBRUTINE..
If you have cue 600 with lots of blue areas. Cue 601 lots of greens. So on and so on. Now cue xxx as a subroutines will chase, loop, bounce entire cues. Way fun. You can only in blind.

MACROS even more fun.

@DuckJordan, it's less like conventional light design, and more like being a member of the improv team. Performing with them. I fail completely the same way they do sometimes. But by practicing with them... Getting to know their style, the scenes they do, the...
I'm about to go off on a long rant, so I'll stop there. But yeah. That's why I specified "improv show". It's way different from the busking I've done for reggo [regular old] events. It's more like acting than it is LDing. (And I love both! Yaaaaay!)

So, Busking .....is Improv. However each ARE prepared for anything. You basic plot has a channel for every area. Groups arre your greatest friefriend . They are like subs without handle. BTW.. y [uu can make anything a group. Like GROUP CUE, grab the LOOK anytime. At ANY value.

Of course you can have a chase light effect set in subs or in cues. What about chasing an entire sequence of cues At the touch of a button.

GO TO BLIND RECORD CUE XXX TYPE SUBRUTINE..
If you have cue 600 with lots of blue areas. Cue 601 lots of greens. So on and so on. Now cue xxx as a subroutines will chase, loop, bounce entire cues. Way fun. You can only in blind.

MACROS even more fun.
What is the difference between stage and blind anyways? The user manual doesn't have any solid info about it.

Stage mode will send DMX signal out of the console, whereas blind will not. Said in a diffrent way, commands in stage mode will immediatly effect the lights in your rig (so onstage) where as blind will not, since blind settings only exist within the board untill recalled in stage mode.

Stage mode will send DMX signal out of the console, whereas blind will not. Said in a diffrent way, commands in stage mode will immediatly effect the lights in your rig (so onstage) where as blind will not, since blind settings only exist within the board untill recalled in stage mode.
Well then there is a terrible issue with my board! blind sends out signals the same way stage does! Although, I'm wondering how possible it is that *both* my boards are broken in the same way. This calls for more sleuthing.

Clarification: on express some functions are not controlled by blind. If im not maken the subs and the GO button are not. But you should be able to [chan] [at] command without impacting the stage.

And what about the channel faders? My board is big enough for a 1:1 patch, so we've never really had to use [chan] [at], except for parking channels.

They should be independent. I am in the opposite situation: the layout of my space means and the size of my board means that only two functional fixture are accessible through the channel faders, so we program alot with subs and keystrokes

I bet I'd be a better programmer if I were forced to use keystrokes more often-- I'd probably learn more efficient ways to format the board.

artable, is there a reason you aren't putting the scene looks you want, the chases, and the different looks for specific games into submasters? Or is that in fact what you're doing, and I've misunderstood something?

The larger Express boards -- which it sounds like you have -- have lots of submasters. You could have a general wash, individual areas, your specials, your cyc colors, and then a series of different effect chases, and then still have a dozen subs left over for looks for specific games.

As for the other discussion about lighting for improv in particular: What kind of improv shows are these? Is your group performing short form games, long form pieces, a mix of both, or something else altogether?

Yeah. The answer is a tad bit complicated. NOTE: this whole post is not an explanation of the complicated answer. That's the first two paragraphs. The rest is basically design ideas.
We have two express boards. a 24/48 and a 48/96. The smaller one is backstage in the prompt corner, and the larger one is in the booth. Either can be connected at once. We currently have the smaller one connected so we could do a show w/ the audience onstage.
I was thrown headfirst into light designing the show during tech week. No preliminary design had been done. For obvious reasons, my hang was extremely inefficient. (The less obvious reasons: we don't own any PARs larger than 38, so we had to be a little bit creative about FOH lighting; many of the fixtures I would have wanted to use were in the catwalk, and loading fixtures to and from the catwalk is a multi-hour ordeal; I am 16 yrs old, and have school for half the day; I am 16 years old, and an inexperienced LD; the list of problems caused by my age, student status, and experience goes on. anyways...)
Basically I've used nearly all 48 channels on a 1:1 patch for a space that really should only have required 24 channels with a 1:1 patch. Not to mention that a 1:1 patch really wasn't the ideal for programming the show... Long story short: I don't have the luxury of submasters. Next time theres a show onstage, I'll definitely have a more efficient design, and probably some submasters too! Might even save the patch of the large desk on a floppy and simply move it onstage.

It's a mix of both. They warm themselves up and engage the audience (woo audience suggestions!) with games, and then invariably move into long form with an improved scene about "funny poses" or a meta-scene about long form.

My Dreams about the games they play most, and a couple of thoughts about realizing them:
When/if the group plays switch (This game is not in the encyclopedia of improv games! Basically two people do a scene, except whenever the OP calls switch, the actor who said the last sentence has to change a noun or verb in that sentence, or both. Also, the noun/verb requirement is extremely fluid.) I give them a cyc somewhere in the blue or green range. when the OP calls "Switch" i bump the cyc blue or green; whichever color I used more of in the initial cyc color. I'd love to be able to give the game operator a godspot for every game with an OP, but especially switch. (this particular effect can be produced by spiking where the godspot will shine, and parking the godspot on at the beginning of the game, and asking the OP to stand there for every game. Until they move. I'd hate to restrict their movement!)

For Revolver, I'd love not to have one color per group for every show! The audience suggestion for a couple in revolver was once purple. A more subtle example: a blue doesn't fit a scene that ends up adversarial. Ideally I'd be able to program and override cyc colors on the fly. Maybe a very clever inhibiter submaster setup would allow for this? Keeping track of four different colors for four different scenes that can be called up in any order (OP calls "revolve twice" or what have you...) in about one second, then re-recorded just as fast seems nigh impossible without some very, very specialized board! Maybe an extremely clever macro? Oh, lets not forget a godspot.

For Bad Advice, I obviously need to be able to bring up the house lights, but thats a necessity in every show. A very neutral wash that looks like studio lighting would be awesome too! Actually, I have no idea what "looks like a studio". Neutral is a guess. Maybe a couple very bright, very sharp ERSs focused where the actors invariably put the chairs or couch (there are often leftover set props lying around after shows.) for bad advice would work.

During longform (The way we play: Starts out with a scene about funny poses. When one of the performers wants to start a new scene, that performer will run across the downstage end of the theater with his/her arm up saying "swoosh". A new scene will then begin. At any time, people who aren't preforming can yell "Let's see the x" x being an event or something related to whats going on in the scene I.E. "Let's see their first child" after a kiss or a wedding proposal. the performers will then make that scene happen, usually quite briefly. The person who called the "lets see..." can call "Cut Back" to return to the original scene.) I manually crossfade the cyc using three channels in between scenes. If the feel of the scene changes dramatically, I might even change the cyc during a scene. I would love to have the ability to very suddenly give a cool wash with one special on a particular actor, in case of a dramatic aside. There would be specials hung to hit, say, three different spots from two angles. only one special would be used at a time, but you need one coming from sl and one coming from sr in case an actor is obstructing one of the luminaries. for "lets sees" and "cut backs" a cyc change is a little too heavy handed, but no change is not enough! I really can't figure out what to do there...

I've actually never really played around with chase effects. I barely have a concept of what one looks like! I would love to see an explication about them, and an explanation about how to make them happen.

These are my thoughts.

1.) You want to use the 48/96 for these shows so you can have access to all 96 channel faders and 24 submasters.

2.) You should try running in Two-Scene Preset mode. This way the top row and bottom row of 48 faders control the same 48 channels. You can make a look on stage with the top faders, and then prep a different look on the bottom and use the A/B faders to transition from one to the other. That way you can "move" all 48 faders at once with only two fingers.

3.) You should use the 24 submasters to create 24 looks that you like. For example:
Sub 1 could be the OP on SL, Sub 2 could be the OP at Center, Sub 3 could be the OP at SR, Sub 4 is a Blue Cyc, Sub 5 is a Green Cyc, etc.

4.) If you end up wanting to use effect, you can put those on submasters as well. For example:
You could have a button for lightning, a button for your chases, etc.

These functions will allow you to use less fingers at once to move more channels. You shouldn't try to play the channel faders as if they were a piano, it'll make you crazy!

Hm! I hadn't gotten to the piece in the manual about two scene preset. I've mostly been looking at things to make cueing easier.
Also, about four faders on row B are broken. That *probably* won't be a huge problem. Is there a way to select channels using the keypad with regards to scene A and B?
ill save the patch for the main stage and the improv show on seperate floppys and exchange them after curtain.

I think if you're using the keypad you're going to want to have more of a cueing approach.

Basically you can record cues in blind (and as per a previous post, your faders and the Go button affect live not blind, you'll have to use the keypad in blind) or in advance of the show and then recall them in sequence or out of sequence (also something you would do on the Congo Kid).

The Express actually works really well out of sequence. You could type [Cue] [X] [Enter] to load whichever cue you wanted to jump to and then just hit [Go] when the time came.

Using that approach you could pre-plan 500 looks or sequences of looks and just give yourself a cheat sheet as to when to go to which.

Anecdotally, I had to run lights for a Improv Group upstate and I used the method mentioned above. I would use blind to alter my subs during the show as things evolved. "I would say, ah this look is the 'kitchen' and we keep coming back here, let's lock this look in." So I can recall it easily.

Would setting the grand master to scene master still allow it to overrule channels captured by a cue?

That's unfortunate. The hope was that one could easily fade out a cue in favor of a certain look on a submaster in less than one second. faders are faster than the fastest key presses. This would be used almost exclusively for dramatic asides.

If you had a recorded cue up and wanted to instantly dump to a submaster configuration, you configure the subs and then just press the [Clear Cue] button by the A/B faders (or C/D faders if you're using those) that will release all of the cue values instantly.

Alternatively if you are using the 2-Scene faders you can have the A row configured and then run down the A fader and it would dump to the subs. (or vice versa with the B row and B fader)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back