C-wrench discussion

porkchop

I worked with one British guy who had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for a Crescent wrench. When I showed him the tool he was like "Oh a C-wrench." To this day I can't convince him that 'C' stands for Cresent. He holds fast to the belief that 'C' doesn't stands for anything. One of the most ridiculous conversations I've ever been involved in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: C-wrench

From Canada's east coast Newfounfand the term they is a "tum wrench" for a thumb wrench

technically the term "crescent" actually comes from the crescent brand in America. You can buy other "crescent" branded tools that aren't a c wrench. Since it's primarily an American company the term isn't as prevalent in other countries which explains the confusion. This is also the reason you'll see them called adjustable wrenches at stores since the company still holds the trademark on the name.

"In the United States, the most well-known brand of adjustable spanner (adjustable wrench) is the Crescent® wrench. This brand is so well known in the USA that the term is often used generically–the trademark is becoming diluted."

Adjustable spanner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could it be that another reason it's called a C-wrench (especially abroad) is because the jaw looks like the letter 'C' when opened wide?

Yes, that's it--just like c-stand and c-section.;)

I c...

I see what you mean by the Crescent being a brand, but it also looks like a crescent in it self. So "C" could just be for the shape (and delicious French food).

Hey check out this cool C-wrench

photo.JPG

Its an eight inch made by crescent, and has thumb slide along the handle instead of the thumb screw in the head. Had seen one in the hardware store once before but never anyone actually using one, saw it again today and figured what the heck, why not.

So far I like it, has a bit more heft than your standard eight inch, which I do like. Though it will be interesting to see how it holds up to time.

While on the topic of wrenches, does anyone actually keep their wrench, or any other tool for that matter, on a lanyard while in the catwalk? I have used a few before, but they always end up getting in my way and I toss them, I dropped a wrench into the house the other day though and it was kinda a wake-up call, luckily I was the only one in the building at the time.

(sorry for the crappy cell-phone picture)

You have manages to find what, in my opinion, is one of the worst creations. Everyone I have know who uses that type of c-wrench has had it fall apart. I have yet to have a standard c-wrench fall apart unless it has been abused.

As far as lanyards go, every c-wrench that comes out of the lighting tool box in my theatre has one. Everyone who works for me who brings their own wrench also has a lanyard for it. If you are using a wrench in any overhead situation while I am supervising, it better have a lanyard. If you are worrying about tangling on things you should look into "snappy coils" which are easily found in dive shops.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.762590,-111.851007

Re: Hey check out this cool C-wrench

Kobalt (Lowe's brand) makes one of those too. They seem pretty cool, but I believe it was Gafftaper who said he bought one to try out and after being dropped, ceased to function again. This was a few years ago - maybe they have improved. Because let's face it. Tools get dropped (or thrown*) a lot.

Tying off your wrench while at height should be standard practice. It can be awkward, but a very good habit. Another good habit is to never leave a tool sitting on top of a ladder.

*ever worked on a car with me?

Last edited:

haha, *bubble burst*

yeah I know its kinda gimmicky, but I was hoping that with some careful oiling i could make it last, ive never been a fan of your standard adjustable wrench.

snap snap on the topic of tool lanyards, I guess I've always known I should use one, if I had to have an excuse I guess I'd say my mostly enclosed catwalk makes it easy for me to get lazy where safety is concerned, typing that makes it sound very bad, :/

haha, *bubble burst*

yeah I know its kinda gimmicky, but I was hoping that with some careful oiling i could make it last, ive never been a fan of your standard adjustable wrench.

snap snap on the topic of tool lanyards, I guess I've always known I should use one, if I had to have an excuse I guess I'd say my mostly enclosed catwalk makes it easy for me to get lazy where safety is concerned, typing that makes it sound very bad, :/

It may work for you. Now, going on tour with one - maybe not. But if you're a high school tech, it may work just fine for you. And if you have it on a lanyard, you won't drop it. Well, you may drop it; it just won't land.

On the topic of safety - don't worry, we've all been there. I'm sure many of us have 'forgotten' to use a lanyard at one time or another. We may prefer to forget, but no one is perfect.

While on the topic of wrenches, does anyone actually keep their wrench, or any other tool for that matter, on a lanyard while in the catwalk? I have used a few before, but they always end up getting in my way and I toss them, I dropped a wrench into the house the other day though and it was kinda a wake-up call, luckily I was the only one in the building at the time.

Absolutely.

https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...forbid-drop-something-from-the-catwalk.23379/
And specifically, https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...ing-from-the-catwalk.23379/page-2#post-206779

Stop moving threads around while I'm trying to reply!

I have a rapid slide. Still works after quite a bit of abuse....BUT. I've found issues with it since day one. Heavy, and it tends to lock onto things. I much prefer my little 6 inch guy. I hardly ever grab another one.

I spend a lot of time in the bucket focusing. The tool of choice currently is the Ultimate Ratcheting Focus tool. It;s light, sits well in the hand, is nicely balanced, easy to flip the ratchet direction, has steel inserts for the 3/4" head yoke bolt and the square clamp bolt, thus I don't worry about the steel c-clamp hardware stripping out the aluminum. Has a ratcheting f _ _ k me nut slot as well.

Only issue is the clearance between the lamp cap on an S4 and the yoke means the Ultimate will not fit when the unit is focusing at a 20 degree tilt angle or so. Then I use my trusty old 8" Crescent brand C-Wrench.

I spend a lot of time in the bucket focusing. The tool of choice currently is the Ultimate Ratcheting Focus tool. It;s light, sits well in the hand, is nicely balanced, easy to flip the ratchet direction, has steel inserts for the 3/4" head yoke bolt and the square clamp bolt, thus I don't worry about the steel c-clamp hardware stripping out the aluminum. Has a ratcheting f _ _ k me nut slot as well.

Only issue is the clearance between the lamp cap on an S4 and the yoke means the Ultimate will not fit when the unit is focusing at a 20 degree tilt angle or so. Then I use my trusty old 8" Crescent brand C-Wrench.

I considered buying the Ultimate Ratcheting Focus tool, but I just couldn't justify spending $100 on it. Seems a bit overpriced. Who knows, maybe I'll break down and buy one or Santa will bring me one.

My shop had on of the slide adjusts as well. Ours is new but I can only open and close it a couple of times before having to take it apart and adjust because it slips. So it will be closed with the slide stuck in the middle, it's junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back