Call "911" or not...

I think what he is referring to is that even the disposal of the whole fixture in the garbage still has to comply with all the abatement regulations. (as in, you can't just throw it in the garbage.) If you are going to go through the hassle, then why not end up with a fixture at the end of the process?

Reactions: Les
You can bag and bury the fixture for less than the men in space suits to work on it.

As I said, it was based on competitive bids - abate and rewire or replace.

You can bag and bury the fixture for less than the men in space suits to work on it.

As I said, it was based on competitive bids - abate and rewire or replace.

Plus, in the year 2015, there's a pretty good chance you would want to replace any fixture with asbestos wiring simply to upgrade to a higher performing modern unit. Asbestos replacement could provide the tipping point for doing that, budget-wise.

ST

Recently properly disposed of some asbestos whips for about $500.00, or was it $800.00 I forget. Got it done thru the Trucking Dpt. with their Safety Clean vendor pushing for work instead of thru my lighting dpt. sources that I don’t really have any of other than for metal halide lamp recycling that I would have to investigate.
Got like a 2.5gal. container for that price and only had a week to fill it up with a few cable whips on some 5Kw Fresnels bought used for prop lights which shipped with the asbestos. Nowhere near filled the container in only a few of the studio Fresnels came with asbestos whips, lens pads or other lamp base insulator pads or lamp sockets in need of removal.
Seems licences had to be bought for the removal of asbestos - even if I was doing it and the disposal company was only taking away the sealed container. You cannot just get a bucket to fill up and dispose with once filled. And that licence only lasted a week. So unlike the lined 55gal. drum of metal halide lamps I fill up and call for disposal of for $1,000.00 per drum, I only had a week to work with this small container.
The container was the issue, in getting a container that the disposal company could haul away and dispose of. It could only be procured of if there was a permit lasting a week, otherwise I will have gladly filled it up over time. Already have another bag filling up of asbestos wiring since than that could have been added to the container.
That’s the problem, perhaps you buy something off E-Bay and it comes with asbestos wiring... normally I ask if buying something the supplier cut the whip and all wiring to the fixture and they dispose of it, in this case I didn’t buy the lights and was now as with all else that find the asbestos stuck with the cost and life/safety hazzards of now my problem, I have to deal with it. A $40.00 light just cost you over $500.00 just to dispose of it beyond costs of guys in white suits coming out to deal with it if wanting really proper disposal.
Ibid on the yes you can atmosphere test a place for how much asbestos is in the air, but I still worry about what’s flaked off over the years that some techie rushing to a lighting position will raise in the dust of the catwalk or corners of the stage floor which such a test of stagnant air is useless for detection of. I worry most about the flakes already flaked off in the environment over any fixture whip when cut and disposed of quickly especially if moistened before cutting and moving into a sealed bag done - including the plug.
Pile up perhaps a few sealed bags sufficient to fill a container than get the disposal? A 2.5gal. Container might dispose of one Fresnel. And in cutting asbestos, that’s a management thing in disposal of in determining what the local policy is and in doing so themselves.
Rules about asbestos are there for a reason and you won’t know of a problem for like ten years after exposure. How to get rid of it is the main problem.

Some afterthought.... This is the town I work in. It is the town near where I grew up. By all accounts, everyone should be dead.
https://newhive.com/amblergazette/asbestos-ambler
The following picture says it all. That mountain behind the kids sliding, pure asbestos.
proxy.php

Seems like many of the people affected were the workers spraying asbestos into ship hulls and buildings 40 hr/wk, and smoking a pack or two a day of Lucky Strikes.

True story:
My Uncle Herb died at the age of 94. He ate bacon and eggs each morning for breakfast, smoked cigars like a power plant, pizza for lunch, was a womanizer, never exercised a day in his life. My Uncle Herb died because he was hit by a car, crossing the street while bringing a pizza home for lunch. I remember the day well because even though my mother was crying, I had to suppress laughter. What a way to go! Great life, great health, no drawn out hospital stay, just BANG, the end!

What this reminds me of is that we try to work out all the factors to live a long life, but most of the factors are not in our hands to play with. Some people smoke one cigarette and later develop lung cancer. Avoid asbestos and statistically, you will live longer, but if you caught a snout full at some point, don't let it worry you to death. You could be the next "Uncle Herb!"

*note* I've never seen these lights closer than this. This was a theatre my wife was renting and they had asbestos concerns. I couldn't tell other than the lights are old enough that they could be and the look fuzzy and similar enough. I couldn't tell and I was focused on other things but I figured it couldn't hurt to check with people smarter than me. Apologies for the quality, this was while I was striking audio gear and in a rush from the deck.

TLDR: can't tell, asbestos?
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG

Looks like asbestos, but "when in doubt". If for no other reason, they should phase them out due to the individual leads.

Thats what I was thinking. The place was built in the 70's. I warned a person they might be an issue, and was informed they have no budget to do anything about it. Wanted to verify I wasn't wrong in my thinking.

Electro Controls #3466, one of the best 6" Fresnel s ever made (except for that pesky asbestos problem--painting the wires different colors doesn't abate the issue). https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/electro-controls-fresnel.12805/#post-131206
Also post#9 of this exact thread.

proxy.php

Pretty sure it doesn't get more definitive than the manufacturer's cut sheet:
ELECTRICAL: The instrument is furnished with a heat resistant connector and 42" extra flexible asbestos cable with strain relief clamp for 120 volt operation.

If only it were January 1970 again!:angryoldman:

Last edited:
Electro Controls #3466, one of the best 6" Fresnel s ever made (except for that pesky asbestos problem--painting the wires different colors doesn't abate the issue). https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/electro-controls-fresnel.12805/#post-131206
Also post#9 of this exact thread.
Thanks, I'd seen a couple of threads, hadn't seen those particular posts. I just happened to be looking up for the first time and noticed the fuzzy and have read enough around here and especially as an educator concerned about students wanted to double check before advising too seriously. Its a tough spot because they're cash strapped and having to remove those from service would significantly hamper their abilities and they can't afford to replace them, but student/adult health outweigh the unfortunate artistic negatives that would result.

I appreciate the help folks.

If not moved and not adjusteted safe enough for now in nobody going up there to stur up the dust. Dust the primary factor - those little particles already fallen off the whips lingering like a silver dust in the air. Not the primary concern once whip cut and bagged the whips of the fixtures, that's easy the rest of the inner workings to vaccume and re-wire. More about what's fallen off from the whip that gets sturred up in the air to be concerned over.

My main concern always is theater houses, in what percentages of particles from fixture whips are left as per dust to constantly be sturred about as one walks about in the front of house lighting positions. Its more about the dust and flakes of the wiring than the wiring still on the light in my opinion to be concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back