Camera Flash

ZJH90

I am doing a show where several of the characters are in a jailhouse lineup and have their picture taken as they walk down the line. Any ideas for a quick and easy camera flash? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Although it might sound obvious - would a real camera flash work?

If the photographer will actually be visible on stage, just have him trigger the flash on the camera for every photo. If not, could you just give a Kodak disposable to someone in the wings to trigger? If you need a more powerful flash, maybe find a way to borrow a SLR camera with an external flash and trigger that.

A bump and maybe a sound effect (if necessary) have worked well for me in the past... It just depends on the situation.

Thoroughly Modern Millie?

We just had a S4 mounted with no gel right where the line up was happening.

I don't recall if it was in the script, but we had two of the hotel girls at the end of the line and when they got up to do their shot, the two of them acted like they were at a photoshoot and we flashed the light several times... it got a lot of laughs.

You can get a real flash camera on ebay for just a couple of dollars.

Last edited:
I did this with a strobe bought from a party store and a dmx relay pack. The strobe was set with the knob on the back to the fastest setting then the bump on the board was pressed. I also just used an old flash from ebay at some of the rehersals on the highest setting it was bright enough to light up the who auditorium.
Good Luck

You could also get a camera strobe unit. These are typically brighter than the flash on a camera, and usually have some kind of test or manual button to fire the flash. You could either have someone operate it, or you could set up a remote button to fire it from offstage. Is it ad bright as a dedicates strobe - probably not. Is it brighter than a camera - probably. Is it reasonable cheep - yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back