Can't Screw Into The Stage

Yup, it all depends. Some people (especially if I'm involved in speccing) still build stages with plywood and a sacrificial masonite layer, so you can have your way with them. Plenty are making stages out of modular platforming so they can build in traps and whatever, or at least putting a sacrificial 3/4" layer on top to build dog tracks into. But yes, more and more stages are multi-purpose, and don't want their nice maple finish messed up.

Reactions: Van
Bill,
I hate to break it to you but Folks have been using Drywall crews to build scenery since the 90's. to MOST of the kids here that is not only 'the old days' it's Ancient History. :(

Also, Remember when Stage floors used to be Pine? and only the Apron or the apron and the first 6' of the stage was Oak or other nice wood?

There was a reason for that!

The 90s are not ancient history. I "discovered" drywall screws in 1978 in my first job out if grad school, along with powder actuated fasteners. Just not ancient. I like this internet definition for ancient: belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence. It goes on to mention Egyptian pyramids as being ancient, and nothing since - oh say - 1952 - at least.

The 90s are not ancient history. I "discovered" drywall screws in 1978 in my first job out if grad school, along with powder actuated fasteners. Just not ancient. I like this internet definition for ancient: belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence. It goes on to mention Egyptian pyramids as being ancient, and nothing since - oh say - 1952 - at least.

That's just one of those things that changes with age. You were an adult, I was a kid in school, and the kids in school now weren't even born yet. We're all going to have a very different perspective of the 90s. And I think from here on out anything before the internet took hold of our day to day lives will be ancient history to any future generations. It's probably not so different from your generation thinking about times before electricity was in every home.

@Van, I’ve been using drywall screws to build sets since my first stage crew experience in 2003. That’s *only* 16 years ago. Based on old scenery I've encountered they definitely became the mainstream fastener in the 90s.

Also, the stage screw insert requires closer to a 9/16” hole, certainly much larger than 3/8. My last job had a Silver & Deming twist bit in the specific fractional size that of course I’m forgetting. (17/32” maybe?)

Last edited:
http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Products/H2255.aspx

proxy.php

• Vise-type thread for easy insertion and removal
  • Fits 9/16" hole
  • Zinc-plated steel

Do many folks screw their sets directly to the stage? I'm not sure why we couldn't do that. We never have, but I honestly didn't know that was an option. I have a set I'm getting ready to put together, and it would be a lifesaver if that were an option. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!

I'd say 80% of theaters that I've been in expect sets to be attached to the floor. From a converted grist mill in Western Pennsylvania to a semi-outdoor pavilion in Eureka Springs, Arkansas to the Delacorte in Central Park, everything gets screwed down unless it needs to roll/fly.

Some exceptions-
1. CSV Cultural Center in New York City, where we didn't realize we weren't allowed to screw into the floor and had to refill all the holes we made after strike.
2. Main State Music Theatre- They lay down a floating floor of Masonite and OSB over the existing stage floor before the summer season, and screw into that
3. The 14th Street Y in NYC- I designed a set similar to the OPs for "The Wedding Play," and we braced and weighted the heck out of everything to keep it from going anywhere. (I may or may not have snuck a couple of finish nails into the stage to hold a doorstop in place, however)
4. Some tiny living room theater in the West Village. Without being able to screw into the floor, we braced the walls by tying them off to whatever we could and wedging a board in between the set walls and the space walls to keep anything from going anywhere. Ended up with a slammable door on a small box set.
5. My current auditorium- has an ugly wood stage floor that I'm not allowed to screw into, so I've done an MDF/OSB floating floor that I can screw into, and I clamp around any architectural features I can access.

In my experience, theaters will let you screw into the floor. Big pacs generally frown upon this. We have built for a lot of venues in philly and the small proper stand alone theaters will let you do it. The kimmel center and other behemoth venues won't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back