Changing Lighting Conventions?

My main building is a Civic Center that is used for everything from conventions to rodeos to theatre. We do 8 to 10 professional theatrical productions a year. we create a theatre then load a show into it. Many of the traveling shows use conventionals on the house electrics and a combination of conventionals and moving wash instruments on the stage electrics. They use them to create washes in varying colors and positions to cut down on the number of instruments needed. I don't see a problem with this. I do have a problem with using movers just to use them, mostly incorrectly.

It's all about the needs of the show. For me the first question I usually ask myself is "what is the place of the lighting in the show?" Sometimes the lighting is just a chorus member, functional and not noticed. Sometimes it is a supporting character, helping to move the story along. Sometimes lighting takes a lead role, really defining the story and the moment. My last show was Kiss me Kate and definitely the lighting was just a spear carrier. Currently I am designing Miss Saigon and we're running a pretty heavy rig with 6 Varilite 3000's, 4 Varilite 3500's and 23 LED fixtures. It will definitely be a lighting heavy show but that is what the show needs. On the next show, Drowsy Chaperone, the movers will blend more with the conventionals, acting as washes and specials. The space for the rig is limited so adding in the movers gives me many more options for cueing. No audience member will ever know that I am using moving lights. OK, maybe your trained eyes might pick out color temp differences.

It all comes down to the aesthetic (and budget). I can find a place for movers in any show. I even have some picked for an upcoming Sound of Music. Why not? They will give me focus and color flexibility at the touch of a few buttons. I'll be able to feature any character in the show wherever they are on stage without having to ask the director, choreographer or actor to adapt.

As far as flash and trash goes, I am certainly guilty of whoring myself there, but designing Chess or Joseph... or suffering through High School Musical why would I not? They call for it just as some shows call for a beautiful sunrise.

I'm a bit less enamored of LED's in sublte lighting. Many of them have issues dropping out of the dimming curve at around 20%. Also, most LED fixtures have trouble with more subtle tints. They are advancing in technology and design and I think most of the upper end fixtures will have this solved in the next few years. ETC has already done this.

So here are some pics of the show that started the thread. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• YAGMCB 12.jpg
    YAGMCB 12.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 154
  • YAGMCB 7.jpg
    YAGMCB 7.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 156
  • YAGMCB 4.jpg
    YAGMCB 4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 148
  • SCHROEDER 1.jpg
    SCHROEDER 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 159
  • BD 4.jpg
    BD 4.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 143
It looks kind of cool, not totally sure about the LED square thing... However, I dont have a script and I didnt see the play so I cant judge you or the director any harsher than "those would be LEDs in my eyes, ouch". Unless thats the point. My favorite pic was the one of Schroeder... kind of how I always pictured him in the cartoons, and I like the template showing in the haze... How did the show play to the audience? I think it looks cool, what did they think?

The LED square thing was supposed to resemble the comic strip frame, so that's it's purpose. And the very first night I got quite a few comments about how bright and disturbing the LEDS were. They were originally aimed straight towards the audience and that was a bad call on my part. So before the next show I aimed them all away from the audience and it ended up looking great!

Cool. I like seeing technology brought into the theater realm... Perhaps this is because Calvin seems to be afraid of things like LEDs and avoids them like the plague, but i think this is nifty.

I don't mind the LED square. If you are bringing a concert feel to the show then focusing them at the audience is fine.

I don't like the lack of front light on Lucy in the one pic. But that is just me. If Linus wasn't lit as well as he is then it wouldn't be a big deal, but the shot lacks balance for me.

Looks cool though.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back