Channel Labeling

Where do you label your channels?

• Total voters
I'm used to having space below the faders, so that was my vote. I'm not usually adjusting the gains much, so looking up there for my assignments is a bit annoying.

If the board is rackmount, doesn't have a scribble strip at the bottom, and there's at least 1 space left, I'll put a 1U blank panel in as a makeshift scribble strip.

its really awesome to see that i agree with three people on here, i generally do above fader, unless theres no room, to not block the view, and i also color code groups, usually with etape.

I voted below, as we have an Allen & Heath GL3300. The board has no room above, and comes with a laminate strip below the faders for grease pencil or white board marker labeling. Not wanting the residue of either anywhere near the faders, we covered the strip with board tape.

We've got the same setup, and mine usally goes across the bottom. I did put a strip across the very top with channel numbers. I do use regular white gaff or electrical tape, but always remove it after a run.

We have a Mackie VLZ 24.4 and it has an area below the faders that his like an indentation where I assume it is intended on having tape there for labeling. Which is what we do. Electrical tape fits perfectly :p Yeah, we should use console tape, but electrical has never left us with a residue or paint removing.

Above: Usually more room there on a lighting console (at least the ones I've worked with). Plus then you don't cover the labels, as was previously mentioned. Just kind of a force of habit, I guess.

Well, these results are interesting. I suppose I should give my reasoning too.

I label above the faders whenever possible to keep from covering them up. Occasionally I'll put a strip of tape under them to add in extra info. I generally color-code too, but I use colored Sharpies: on analog it's to color code groups/VCAs, on digital (read: LS9), to keep track of channels on different layers, mix buses, and the matrix channels. It winds up looking like a Jackson Pollock painting sometimes, but it's clear as a bell (to me at least :lol:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back