Control/Dimming Chasing lights with a Strand LBX model 64051 using Genius F1.2G

jcfalc01

I followed the manual instructions for setting up the chase light effect. My screen looked just like the manual. However, when I went to "go" nothing happens. I've tried a variety of steps but to no avail. I am trying to use the "Effects" that should be built in to the system. Can anyone help me?! Thanks!

I think you are going to have to give us a little more details about what you did and what you want to achieve in order for us to help.

A quick google shows that to be the Strand LBX, correct?

Anyways, after quickly reviewing the manual (I haven't touched the board for a few years)

Ok, you go into the FX screen and write your effect.
Say you write is as Effect 1, with its steps being 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.
Now, press "FX 1" and the 1 button in the active effects section. This should load your effect for playback.
Press the Go/Stop button in the effects section, and you should be rolling.
Be sure to have your Effects Master fader up, or you won't see anything.
The LED above the active effect key should flash when it is running.

I believe it to be the LBX.

I did exactly as you described. When I load it into the Active Effect 1, 2 or 3 and press Go/Stop, nothing happens.

Yes, my effects fader is up at full.

My steps are 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4. When I scroll through them with the cursor keys the appropriate channels light at FL (since you cannot set an effect less that 100% in this menu).

I'm just not sure what next to do.

Thanks, for your help. Your steps are exactly what I followed.

Interesting.
When you load the effect for playback, do the LEDs above that playback light to let you know it had an effect in it?
And when you press go/stop, does the LED flash to denote that the effect is running?

Since I'm not sitting at a board, this is a shot in the dark, but... what screen are you in when you try to make it "go"? The effect menu or the standard playback screen? It might not hurt to hit "Display" and back out to standard playback. Again, just a guess.

I get the red light just above the #1 on the Active menu and the green one right below.

I see no other indication of any other light, other than the light under the word Chase and Fwd.

I'm not at my board either. I will try to exit out of the EFFECT menu and go to the Standard Playback screen.

Thanks again!

Yup, the red (loaded) light and the green (selected) light are the two you should see. When you run the effect, the red light should flash, indicating that the effect is running.

My additional guesses would include making sure that the fade time and step times are slow enough to allow your lights to actually heat up and produce light. If you set up your effect like the tutorial on page 35 of the manual (which I just found), my only guesses would be that you need to reload the effect, try writing a second effect in playback 2, or slow down all the times.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Depending on the effect you are looking for, you might be able to accomplish it using standard cues and waits, delays, links and loops.

Thanks again! This is only my second time using the board and the first was really simply out of necessity. I'm not a theatre teacher or "person". I'm just the dad of one of the actress' and I lead a team of dads (couple of moms and a grandma) to design and build the sets; then take care of things on stage. Not run the show but make sure the young people are on task. This is way outside of my area and I was hoping that the built-in effect would work.

Now on to learn loops, etc.

Thanks again!

Well, I must applaud the courageous father wading into the waters of the theatrical industry for his daughter's sake.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you can find a working solution!

Our board must have a fault in the Special Effects component. I've also found a few channels and submasters are non-functional.

I ended up basically programming a series of cues using the link function and modifying the timing of fades in/out and wait.

Does anyone know of a way to get the bulbs brighter in a fast chase? As I watch my screen they bounce basically between 50 and 80% apparently based on the in/out and wait times.

Well, the lower the in/out times, the faster the lamps will turn on and off. However, since they are incandescent filaments, they do take time to warm up. If I recall correctly, they need about half a second to reach full intensity.
As for them not reading full on the board, I would guess that it may be because you have a shorter wait time than the fade time. Therefore, the cue is going before the fade has been completed.
That'd be my guess, at least.

I was just using an LBX yesterday and I have to say that it sounds like you have everything right. Should be working, should at least see in the "output" display the intensities changing regardless of what the lights are actually doing.

In the "output" display it should show you enough info to see what is/is-not going on.

If what you say is true, that there are a few subs not working and such, than perhaps yes a key, keys, or fader, or even other part of the 'effects' portion of the console is not operational. A repair may be in order.

The LBX may be an aging console, but it still works just fine and gets the job done very well in most circumstances. The only problem with the one I was just using is that the disk drive did not want to work (a major pain as it was for a drama festival, I was house tech, and had to manually jot down all cues/subs). It was rented too, so I am kinda pissed with the rental company there.

Anyways I'm sure you can still get it repaired if you so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back