Chauvet LED Colorbank

your problem is that Chauvet in their infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to change the DMX standard on their fixtures. I had a problem like this before and they are looking for a much higher refresh rate on the DMX signal than the standard is, every board - except theirs - uses the standard. You can either use a chauvet board or buy a re-clocking device from Doug Fleenor. In the end the problem is an inferior design on a cheap light. not meant to insult, just an observation of fact. you get what you pay for. great for clubs where dimming isn't really a priority. it's all about application...

I agree Frank. There are much better units out there for the money.

Mike

Hate to bring up an older thread but I had a question for Frank. I've got this same issue going on and am trying to fix it and have been poking around the Doug Fleenor website looking for a re-clocking device like you mentioned. Didn't notice one, but it's very possible I overlooked it. What is the name of this device?

I don't think Frank has been on in a while, so I'll suggest sending an email to [email protected], preferably with a link to this thread.:) If Fleenor makes such a device, it's a custom job.

I know a little about DJ lighting, and you say the Colorbank can be seen with other stage lights on? If so, I think we will be getting three to replace our halogen color bars.
I didn't read all posts so sorry if I am just repeating.

1.Get a terminator in the last unit.
2. Make sure your using DMX cable, NOT XLR, throughout your entire chain.
3. Try replacing the wires.
4. Call Chauvet and see if they have had this problem before.
5. Don't plug them into a dimmer, Normal outlet like they are made to do, I think the bars have 5 channels? Three for color, one for intensity, and one for strobe? (And make sure strobe isnt on xD),
6. Make sure the dipswitches/DMX channel is set correctly.

Kind of seems like people think that DMX and XLR are different :/

DMX and XLR cables are pretty much the same exact cable, DMX has more insulation and a thicker wire. I have cut open both before.

And I have some DJ lights around my house and they work with both XLR and DMX cables. Only reason people use XLR for these lights is that it is cheaper, and useally it wont make a difference. But if you have Moving heads, or Scanners or anything that moves, dont use XLR, it could make the moving part do random things. (Like having a mirror in a a scanner shake)

Kind of seems like people think that DMX and XLR are different :/

DMX and XLR cables are pretty much the same exact cable, DMX has more insulation and a thicker wire. I have cut open both before.

And I have some DJ lights around my house and they work with both XLR and DMX cables. Only reason people use XLR for these lights is that it is cheaper, and useally it wont make a difference. But if you have Moving heads, or Scanners or anything that moves, dont use XLR, it could make the moving part do random things. (Like having a mirror in a a scanner shake)

Let's please please please stop using DMX and XLR and interchangeable terms. They are not. And they are not at all the same cable. The capacitance of each is different as well as other issues - please don't look at both and think that they are the same.

DMX is a control signal protocol. XLR is a reference to the type of connector on the end of the cable. XLR connectors come in 3 pin, 4 pin, 5 pin and 6 pin.( I might recall seeing a 7 pin cable, but don't quote me on that one)

Standard DMX spec'd cable comes with an XLR Connector on it.

I know that you think this is probably nit-picky - and it is, but as text is the only medium that we really have to communicate, let's please try to be as accurate as possible in our descriptions of what we are using. kthanksbai... :grin:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that DMX was only associated with DMX Protocal, Because when I go to say, Guitar Center, I can buy "DMX Cable" or "XLR Cable", says the packages :/ .

But either way, Mic cable will work for DMX lights, but it not suggested for moving lights. It might make them to some funky things.

Unless you are in a jam, use cables made for use as DMX cables, it does make a difference. The difference is mic cables and DMX cables, two different animals.

Yeah, I have a little light show in my house with some DJ lights for fun, and I use XLR/Mic cables because its cheaper and quality isn't needed in my garage : P But I would never using anything but DMX Cables in the theatre. Don't need interference during a performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back