Chauvet Obey 40 and Slimpar 56 issue

TommyRox

Newbie here - I am running 4 Slimpar 56 lights with an Obey 3 and all works great - addressed as 1 on all. I upgraded to a Obey 40 so I can control each fixture and have set the lights to 7-channel mode and addressed the lights 1,8,15,22 & 29. 2 do not work and 2 do whatever they want. Am I addressing these correctly?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill is correct, if you want to assign each one to a different board fixture, which I would recommend with the number of fixtures you have. If you want to use more than 12 in the future, though, the following applies (assuming they each take 8 DMX channels or fewer).

The Obey 40 is essentially a 192 DMX control channel single scene preset board at heart, that defaults to 1:1 addressing (which you can modify to a small extent). To control the 192 channels, you have 12 groups (defined as a fixture) of 16 channels each. To control each group of 16 channels, you have 2 pages (A and B) of 8 faders. As your fixtures use only one page of faders, you could also address at 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, etc. Then, assuming you haven't altered the fader assignments for fixtures, each A/B page for each fixture would be in control of a fixture; allowing up to 24 individual fixtures in 7 channel mode. If using fixtures in 4 channel mode, you could program up to 48 (!) by properly addressing. KNOW YOUR DMX!

The correct addressing would be 1, 17, 33, 49. They will respond to fixture buttons 1 through 4.

THis would only apply to the Obey correct? I use a xpress 512 and I have 22 slimpar 56's and set them up on a venues yesterday with wired and D-Fi connections and had the same issue, most meaning all but about 3 stopped responding to dmx and only way to fix it is power cycle. Mine are set as follows 1, 8, 15, 22, etc.

THis would only apply to the Obey correct? I use a xpress 512 and I have 22 slimpar 56's and set them up on a venues yesterday with wired and D-Fi connections and had the same issue, most meaning all but about 3 stopped responding to dmx and only way to fix it is power cycle. Mine are set as follows 1, 8, 15, 22, etc.

Well, the Chauvet and some of the other suspiciously Chauvet looking boards use a fixed fixture width. It is one way to reduce cost and keep things easy for their intended users. Most real mover boards allow you to soft set fixture widths. Of course, most "real" mover boards cost many times more money. So, it's a trade off, but for the $, Chauvet gives you a lot of bang for the buck. 16 and 32 are common fixed widths on the Chauvets. As mentioned before, you can run more than one fixture by dividing up the fixture widths, but the "fixture" buttons will always break at 16 or 32 (depending on the model), so you have to work around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back