Control/Dimming Chauvet Xpress 512 & Showexpress lighting for theater stage

micorm

I just purchased an Xpress 512 and downloaded Showxpress from Chauvet hoping to run my Colordash Pars. I have come to find the difficulty in using it for stage instead of use in a club. I need to set cues like a standard theater light board with a cue ran and then a pause until my operator says to go. Is there any way to do this with the showxpress?

I just downloaded and installed the software. In a quick word, no, it does not have a standard theatre cue stack. This software is not at all intended to work in a theatre. Now, it is possible to make this work but I think you are going to want to pull your hair out if you continue. You could use scenes with each look in it, however you won't get the exact level of control you need.

It looks like going rate for the xpress 512 is around 400-500 dollars. Return it.

There are several lighting controllers out there that you can pick up for that. If you want to go the PC route, Chamsys MagicQ and a Enttec DMX Pro interface is a way to go, all for 150 dollars. The software does have a learning curve, but it will do what you want much easier then the Chauvet unit. Otherwise, there are small hardware consoles that you can pick up for under a grand that will do what you want with a bit of effort. There is also always the option of buying a used console if money is an issue. Are these the only lights in your venue or is this an added on system?

I just downloaded and installed the software. In a quick word, no, it does not have a standard theatre cue stack. This software is not at all intended to work in a theatre. Now, it is possible to make this work but I think you are going to want to pull your hair out if you continue. You could use scenes with each look in it, however you won't get the exact level of control you need.

It looks like going rate for the xpress 512 is around 400-500 dollars. Return it.

There are several lighting controllers out there that you can pick up for that. If you want to go the PC route, Chamsys MagicQ and a Enttec DMX Pro interface is a way to go, all for 150 dollars. The software does have a learning curve, but it will do what you want much easier then the Chauvet unit. Otherwise, there are small hardware consoles that you can pick up for under a grand that will do what you want with a bit of effort. There is also always the option of buying a used console if money is an issue. Are these the only lights in your venue or is this an added on system?

No I have a ETC Express 125 for my standard fixtures and am using 96 channels currently. I don't think I have enough channels to run my colordash's and my standard fixtures. If you know any tricks please let me know. I will be returning the xpress 512.

No I have a ETC Express 125 for my standard fixtures and am using 96 channels currently. I don't think I have enough channels to run my colordash's and my standard fixtures. If you know any tricks please let me know. I will be returning the xpress 512.

Return the Chauvet unit. Sell the Express used for a few grand. Pony up another grand and combined with that money you can get an Element. Live happily ever after. Seriously, Expresses still sell for ridiculously large amounts of money on the used market and Elements are awesome and not that expensive. If you really want to keep the Express than just go ahead and buy an Enttec USB DMX Pro for $150, download MagicQ and call it a day.

Well, an Express console can control an entire universe, not sure if the 125 has it but it might even have support for two universes.
Anyways, I believe your Express has 512 control channels. So you should be all set if you are only using 96 currently.

Edit,

Sorry I feel dumb now..
The Express only has 125 control channels, heh..Never knew why the two where called 125 an 250, heh.

So, I would try to sell the Chauvet controller and the Express, and if you like the Express maybe a used 250, or like Metti said an Element. The Element would have better options for controlling your color lights too.

If you need to make it work you might have to group some lights, like take a couple of your Colordashs' and group them so one channel is like, five unit's red etc.
But this more than likely may not be an option, but thats what you could do if you need to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back