Cheap 7+ user Duplex intercom w/ clear com interface

artable

I volunteer/work for my high school theater as the stage manager (among other things.). We have a limited budget.
I am trying to find an affordable 2 channel wireless intercom system that can support 6+ duplex users. It additionally must interface with a 2 channel 2-wire clear com system. Any ideas?

Cheap and ClearCom never go together. Even on the used market ClearCom is expensive. Of course your expensive and someone else's are totally different. Anyway, I don't know about connecting it with a ClearCom system, but I have ditched my ClearCom all together for Murmur (free server side software) and Mumble (free client for PC, Mac, iOs, and Andriod). In a school you may already have the infrastructure in place, otherwise a wireless access point or two, a Mac or PC to run ther server software and a cheap smartphone that most high school students have anyway and you have wireless duplex communication for little to no cost. You can also purchase a hosted solution to span multiple venues for a low price.

I have run the server software of both a PC and Mac running in the back ground of my sound cue computer on hardware that is going on 8 years old and had no problems with 10 + users connected and less than 6ms delay. I typically have my wireless password protected, however, it is usually not connected to the intrernet This means no web browsing during a show, which I prefer.

Cheap, 2 channel, Wired Clear-Com interface AND 6+ full duplex?! Your looking at top of the line....
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/411662.html

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/464134.html

If I recall correctly... most wireless com products will only support 4-5 FULL duplex wireless packs, more than that, and the last few packs share the last channel meaning you only get 3-4 full duplex and the rest share talking option with each other.

Maybe someone else know of a cheaper option....
I found a cheap eartech gear, but eartech looks kinda sketchy. I also read a ton of stuff claiming their gear either worked sublimely, or failed constantly. Not sure I want to deal with that duality. I intend to look into @Mwchris's suggestion. It probably won't be able to interface with the existing system. That'd be livable though.

I have also heard about reliability issues with eartech, but sometimes that's what you get with 'affordability'

Cheap and ClearCom never go together. Even on the used market ClearCom is expensive. Of course your expensive and someone else's are totally different. Anyway, I don't know about connecting it with a ClearCom system, but I have ditched my ClearCom all together for Murmur (free server side software) and Mumble (free client for PC, Mac, iOs, and Andriod). In a school you may already have the infrastructure in place, otherwise a wireless access point or two, a Mac or PC to run ther server software and a cheap smartphone that most high school students have anyway and you have wireless duplex communication for little to no cost. You can also purchase a hosted solution to span multiple venues for a low price.

I have run the server software of both a PC and Mac running in the back ground of my sound cue computer on hardware that is going on 8 years old and had no problems with 10 + users connected and less than 6ms delay. I typically have my wireless password protected, however, it is usually not connected to the intrernet This means no web browsing during a show, which I prefer.
How long can the average smartphone last doing that?

I found a cheap eartech gear, but eartech looks kinda sketchy. I also read a ton of stuff claiming their gear either worked sublimely, or failed constantly. Not sure I want to deal with that duality.

I had a terrible experience with Eartech, but that was about 7 years ago. People using more recent products seem to be a lot happier. I hear there is still a lack of documentation and people seem to have mixed results getting support.

But in the end if that's what you can afford, that's what you get. As was said above, there is no such thing as cheap and ClearCom... but it also always works. You pay for reliability.

I say grab some FRS radios with headphones for now and start saving your money for ClearCom.

In the Mumble arena, you might also want to look into Teamspeak.

The problem is interconnecting a decent sound-reducing headset to a smartphone.

There are a number of VOIP protocols that will work. Murmur is free and offers lower latency than most, although Team Speak, Astrik, and Ventrillo are popular ones as well.

These really got their start in the team gaming world so teams could talk real time while in a game.

Regarding headsets, that is the beauty and the curse. For iOS devices there are tons of options from the ear buds that come with each device, to any number of PC headsets, to even standard headphones and use the microphone on the device. (Don't try Bluetooth as it inserts too much latency.) Ive never had a problm hearing it and typically use either a single earbud with inline mic that came with the device, or a single ear muff with boom microphone for more comfort. If I was working a rock concert that would be a different story.

For me, it's having the mic *right at your mouth*. If you're using cellphones, you might look at the Panasonic KX-TCA60 headset for that; it's cheap, and has the requisite 2.5m plug. Assuming your phone has that jack. I think adapters are available; last time I used it on a cellphone, that was still the jack they had, which dates me. :)

I greatly appreciate all of your advice!
One further question:
Is there any reason not to pick up a few XLR to 1/4" adapters, and then use the headsets I already have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back