Cheap DMX System (dimmers, software, etc....) Can it be done??

American DH, Chauvet, and some Elation. Just remember the magic triangle. Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two and only two. Sorry. Musicians Friend usually has some cheap stuff sometimes.

What do you want to do? Are you lighting a band in a bar or a small theater production in a garage or hallway? If so, sure. 2 grand will get you 16 PAR 38s (dim), 16 channels of dimming, and 8 LED PAR64s which are about as bright as a 250W PAR 38. Plenty bright for some bar band gig or smaller theatre gig. Anything bigger, expect to pay more like 4-10 grand. If you can afford decent dimmers, PAR 64s are really cheap, and you can spring for some ellipsoidals.

Thanks for the reply(s)!

I would just like to "fool" around with DMX. Something Cheap. I've been trying to find a software like Horizon, but that search is not going well. :(

Thanks,
Chris

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you want, but if you just want to fool around with some basic programming, Strand has a free offline editor for their Palette line of control boards that can be downloaded to your computer. Here, I'll add a link to it:

Support Documents | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand

Not a direct link to it, but it is listed under Palette Series- Offline Editor v10.8.2 or something to that effect. It's about a third of the way down the list of links. Have Fun!

Horizon needs a interface to work and those are no longer made.

try

Magic-Q ChamSys with a
ENTTEC - DMX USB PRO
I got the Enttec Pro for Christmas and have spent the last couple of weeks playing with MagicQ. I have a show coming up using 12 moving lights and I have to say that controlling movers has never been easier for me! I'm going to buy several more dongles for my program and start teaching MagicQ in addition to the training that we do on our ETC consoles. I can't believe that something so useful is so inexpensive!

That's a pretty vague question. It's like saying "I want a vehicle."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back