Cheap smaller lighting board

sarahsliefie

I can not believe I am asking this, but I need a little cheep board. I have been told I can not spend more then $600.

I want a 12/24 Smart fade. but with the price that is out of the question.

It needs to do several things.
1. Be programmable in that I can patch a selection of the DMX addresses into the 24 sliders. I don't just want it to just control the first 24 channels on the universe.
2. Have two ranks of at least 12 slides.
2. Have a page worth of Memories/ sub masters. So I can have preset scenes recorded.
3. (Not a need bout would be good.) The ability so save the show on an outside media. (SD, USB, even floppy)

It will be mostly running Smart bars, a few dimmer packs, and one unison panel.

I wanted an EOS but I think it is out of my price range.

I can not believe I am asking this, but I need a little cheep board. I have been told I can not spend more then $600.

I want a 12/24 Smart fade. but with the price that is out of the question.

It needs to do several things.
1. Be programmable in that I can patch a selection of the DMX addresses into the 24 sliders. I don't just want it to just control the first 24 channels on the universe.
2. Have two ranks of at least 12 slides.
2. Have a page worth of Memories/ sub masters. So I can have preset scenes recorded.
3. (Not a need bout would be good.) The ability so save the show on an outside media. (SD, USB, even floppy)

It will be mostly running Smart bars, a few dimmer packs, and one unison panel.

I wanted an EOS but I think it is out of my price range.

Maybe check out some of the Leprecon products.

Also, can you buy used boards? You might be able to get a Zero 88 Frog or something similar for around that much though you are probably a little bit under budgeted for that class of products.

I can assure you that an EOS is well outside of your price range as is an Ion or Element.

Maybe check out some of the Leprecon products.

Also, can you buy used boards? You might be able to get a Zero 88 Frog or something similar for around that much though you are probably a little bit under budgeted for that class of products.

I can assure you that an EOS is well outside of your price range as is an Ion or Element.
Take a look at Applied Electronics also.

This is one of those cases where, based on what you have and what you want to do, if you REALLY need to buy new, I would say try REALLY REALLY hard to convince someone to spend the additionally $400-$600 over a Lepre board a SmartFade would cost. The SmartFade, in its current software configuration, is extremely easy to use once one learns the few basic ideologies of the board (or labels it properly). Additionally, I (and I am not all knowing) do not know of another non-software based control in its price range with a built in external memory storage capacity and the ability to be connected to a computer for configuration and programming. The patch utility in the SmartSoft computer software makes patching significantly easier, and the SmartSoft software itself makes some very basic functions a lot simpler when programming. You can also see exactly what you are doing and give the board a functionality closer to an ETC Express than any other simple two-scene on the market (IMO).

Keep in mind, I say this after having a SmartFade operating older software not being able to connect with my computer, not doing what I wanted or expected it to, and eventually losing my show prompting me to reprogram it in the hour before a first preview (apparently something very strange for a SmartFade).

There are just somethings it is worth it to spend money on. This is one of them. If you can't convince them to spend more, then a Leprecon would be my next choice simply because I know they are reliable and easy enough to use. I'd still try to find a used SmartFade before that, though.

Can't swing it find it, quickly snap up THIS.

I usually sell new Leprecon LP-612's for $850-$900, they have everything you want except the external memory. If the budget is fixed, you might try eBay, etc., for a used 612.

I second the vote on the Strand 200. It's nothing fancy but it'll do the job.

Also don't forget Leviton. I'm not a fan, but they have some stuff in your price range. At that price it's mostly a question of most bang for your buck.

You might give Solaris and Gearsource a call as well to see if they have anything used you can fit in your budget.

I have two Lightronics boards that will do what you want. The TL5024 has 25 channels that are patchable to the first 256 addresses of a DMX universe. The TL3256 has 33 channels patachable to all 512 channels of a DMX universe.
The TL5024 new with DMX option is about $550 and has 24 faders plus an independent house fader, and a programable theatre stack with a go button also programable fade times.
The TL3256 has 32 faders with an independent house fader. It has all of the other features of the TL5024 plus a keypad for easier patching an programming. Both will output DMX and Microplex at the same time.
The one catch is that the TL3256 is no longer made, but they show up on ebay from time to time. I got both of mine off ebay for $200 or less.

I also have a Behringer LC2412 and a Chauvet 48 channel something. The Behringer is with out a doubt the most frustrating board to program and use. The Chauvet is pretty good except there is no patching and the method to do a theatre stack is difficult. The Behringer does have external storage, while the other three do not.
Lightronics has always given me great service.

Tom Johnson

I'm a fan of the Leprecon 624. It's easy to use and especially good in situations where someone without much lighting experience can learn how to operate it quickly. You can pick one up on eBay pretty cheaply.

I would consider this a good "starter" board. When you can afford something better, go for it and use the Leprecon as a backup.

The kind peeps at Leprecon take great care of their customers too.
They took excelent care of us with the repair of our small lighting console! We were truly up a creek when our Leprecon 612 console decided to take a vacation (crap out) while LDI was setting up. Thanks to them for loaning us your brand new demo model for the duration of the show, and for repairing our console the following week for future use.
Michelle and the staff at Leprecon saved my bacon, and I appreciate it!

I have two Lightronics boards that will do what you want. The TL5024 has 25 channels that are patchable to the first 256 addresses of a DMX universe. The TL3256 has 33 channels patachable to all 512 channels of a DMX universe.
The TL5024 new with DMX option is about $550 and has 24 faders plus an independent house fader, and a programable theatre stack with a go button also programable fade times.
The TL3256 has 32 faders with an independent house fader. It has all of the other features of the TL5024 plus a keypad for easier patching an programming. Both will output DMX and Microplex at the same time.
The one catch is that the TL3256 is no longer made, but they show up on ebay from time to time. I got both of mine off ebay for $200 or less.

I also have a Behringer LC2412 and a Chauvet 48 channel something. The Behringer is with out a doubt the most frustrating board to program and use. The Chauvet is pretty good except there is no patching and the method to do a theatre stack is difficult. The Behringer does have external storage, while the other three do not.
Lightronics has always given me great service.

Tom Johnson
Greetings Tom, I too have the 5024 with both outputs, however I'm curious how the separate house fader plays in, do I have to assign specific channels to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back