Cleaning Routine for Movers?

GoboMan

Hello all! I have a general curiosity question here.

We all know that moving lights require regular maintenance. What is your method to cleaning movers and how often do you do it?

At my venue, we use a rep plot that never gets struck, therefore our movers (VL2500's) stay hung unless one needs to be swapped for repair. I clean each mover on a monthly basis, as well as inspect the parts to look for any wear and tear that may require maintenance. My process is as follows...

* Open up all covers and access panels
* Visually inspect all wiring, circuit boards, switches, and parts for damage or wear
* Blow out dust and any debris
* Check that all cooling fans are working and not obstructed
* Blow out all dust filters on the housing
* With a cleaner and a soft cloth, carefully clean the lens
* Re-attach all covers and access panels
* Run on-board "ALL SEQUENCE" self-test to make sure all functions work correctly
* Check mounting brackets to make sure they are secure, and that safety cable is in place and in good condition

I do this all while in the air and after LOTO procedures have been carried out, as well as making sure the area below me and around the Genie lift is clear.

How does this compare to your method of cleaning/maintenance? Am I missing anything? Am I wasting time with any of these steps? I would love to get a discussion going and see if I can learn something valuable from my lighting peers.

Thanks! :)

I clean our in-house fixtures on a once-a-year basis, but it depends largely on usage, and cleanliness of the environment. If they were travelling outside the building, they'd need more work, I'd think.
By the time their lamp life is at an end, for us, anyway, our discharge fixtures are usually due for a thorough cleaning, too.
I typically bring the fixture to a clear, well-lit workbench for any service needed, but that may be more convenient for me, and I might need more disassembly than you, where the toolsets necessary for my work are more convenient at the bench. Plus, I tend to occasionally drop fasteners, and they're much easier to find if they didn't just fall 20'.
Perhaps because our cleanings are more infrequent, I tend to also clean any residue from all fan blades, rather than relying on just blowing them out, but again, it depends on your situation. We tend to get a light buildup of sticky dust over time in our venue.

Some manufacturers will actually detail what should be done on a regular basis to maintain a particular fixture, but your mileage may vary, and not everyone will necessarily share that information freely.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if once a month was too frequent or not, but we often do shows six days a week, and sometimes twice in one day. Therefore, our movers are running a minimum of 8 hours each day. It's amazing how much dust collects within a month. We also use confetti cannons, and believe it or not I've had to pull confetti out of the movers quite often. I once pulled a piece of confetti out from between two CMYD color wheels. How it got that far in there, I'll never know.

If I do have to pull a mover down for extended repair, I always make sure to do a thorough disassembly cleaning before putting it back in service.

I've found snowflakes and confetti in mine. It's almost like those fans suck!
You've really got to watch out for the shiny Mylar-type confetti - it can short out electrical components if you're unlucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back