Clearcom RS501/ PS232 Problems

I have been having some issues with Clearcom RS501 bodypacks. We have 8 of these beltpacks and no speaker stations.

Now, 1 of the beltpacks does not work and 3 others make a crackling sound when you push talk or call.

What would you recommend in terms of troubleshooting/repair and how to prevent this problem from recurring?

Generally it could be a bad cable. Verify that all cables are properly working. Also when you hear the crackling, you might try and hold down the "remote mic kill" button on the mainstation, if there is that button (not sure of the model of yours). That has worked for me in the past.

If both of those don't work, get two people to test beltbacks. Have two hooked up at a time, and keep swapping one out until you start hearing the crackling noise. Then you will know for sure which ones are giving you issues.

You have the good old model!

The issues I've had most with those, and which could cause your symptoms, have been:

- loose ribbon cable
- broken connector soldier
- bad talk button (requires replacing that little circuit board behind the facepanel as I recall)

They're easy to take apart and check. Four long phillips screws (careful not to overtighten on reassembly--the female threads like to strip from the plastic case).

I almost never have to actually spend money to repair a 501, but last time I actually needed parts it was quite a process. I'm blanking on the name of their very nice and helpful parts guru who hopefully is still sitting in his graveyard of beltpacks cannibalizing parts to order. Parts are very scarce as I understand it. A few years ago I needed a bunch of things and there was at least one item I bought that was supposedly the last in existence, at least until another box of dead beltpacks shows up in his office.

Thanks for the replies! I did some troubleshooting and have it narrowed down to the beltpacks. I'll take a look and check to see if I can figure out what part is bad and if I can get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back