Automated Fixtures Color Force 72 Random Flashing Issue

CrazyTechie

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted anything, but there's an adventurous feature that has arisen during tech this weekend that I wanted to pick your brains about. Fair warning, I'm ATD for this show and am getting the details second hand, but here we go!

So we have four Color Force 72s up in the air that are in mode 5 (12 controllable sections for intensity). The signal path from the board (ETC Element, running I believe the latest version of EOS) is sACN to NET3 gateways then into the strips and the DMX chain is terminated. The interesting thing is that while the board is on and streaming DMX we will get random flashes of a cell in one of the four strips that will go full intensity and the color will be white regardless of any other intensity or color info being sent to the strips. There is no consistency as to the timing or cells that will randomly flash.

It may also be worth mentioning that this wasn't an issue on our main stage space. The only difference is that the main stage has an Ion instead of an Element.

Any thoughts as to what the problem/solution is? Let me know if there are any other details that would prove beneficial.

I have taken a look at this thread and our issue seems different than what is going on there.

Last edited:
When I checked late last night, RDM was not enabled on the console.

This is a known problem with the fixtures. There is a problem with the data transfer internally. The company has an add on wire harness that you can get from them. here is the tech bulletin about the install.

Attachments

• TechBulletin42_CF_SF_Spacer_PowerDataHarness_7july2015.pdf
    333.5 KB · Views: 540
Check on the net3 gateway itself via GCE/Concert. It is separate from RDM on the console directly.

I made the change this morning. I didn't know RDM was on option at the gateway level. Thus far it seems to have solved the problem. We're about to start our next tech run so I'll update at the end.

This is a known problem with the fixtures. There is a problem with the data transfer internally. The company has an add on wire harness that you can get from them. here is the tech bulletin about the install.

Thanks for the link. I'm hoping that disabling RDM will fix the issue. If not, then things will sure get interesting...

Disabling RDM was indeed the solution. We didn't have any problems during tonight's rehearsal.

Thanks all!

Had a similar issue with some Color One 100s a few months back. Random flashing, tried everything to no avail, finally called the rental company and they suggested disabling the RDM. It worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back