Automated Fixtures Colortran 48/96 and Martin MX-10 help

I am learning more about lighting and in my high school we have a Colortran 48/96 with i96 and i24 dimmer racks. We also have 2 Martin MX-10 Intelligent lights that need to be set-up with the console. As of right now I have one light hooked up to the back of the console at DMX 512 Port C to program it. I read the manual how to set the address on the MX-10 but I don't know how to have the console talk with it. Plans are to have 1 on each side of the theater on the alcoves and there is one available DMX 5-pin port on each side but we will be using 3 to 5 pin cables into the MX-10 to the wall. Please if you can help!

Going in reverse order from your post.
First, you'll need adapter, 5-3 as your fixtures use XLR3 connectors. On adapter s, the Male End is Always specified First.
Second, do you know where the other end of the DMX ports in the alcoves on each side go to? Is it a female XLR5 jack in the alcoves?
To get from console Port C to both outlets, you'll probably need an opto-splitter. Or not use the in-wall wiring and run a long DMX cable from the board to one side, then another long cable to the other fixture. To prevent issues, always use a terminator at the end of a DMX line.
Third, I'm guessing your "Colortran 48/96" is an Innovator? You'll need a fixture personality / profile (Colortran calls it a DDL) for the MX-10. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/18195-colortran-innovator-ddl-anyone.html , and also type Innovator into the search box.

Thanks for the info, I do not know where specifically they lead to but I have full access to the dimmer racks and control panels though, they are both female jacks, we have Port A-C behind the console, we had thoughts of running wires through but it would not look so nice in the theater and we then discovered the random XLR5 jack underneath the alcoves.

Yes it's an innovator, I am a bit lost with the console, I do see where I need a DDL and it has address and port but I read the thread and I will have to email Leviton for a DDL?

I found the DDL though ftp://ftp.leviton.com/LES/Library/DDLs/Martin_Professional_A-S/mx10extr.ddl

Last edited:
Good Morning

Just an off-the-wall thought
If running a DMX cable across the stage isn’t a good look, how about running a line out of port B to 1 side of the house & C to the other
It’s like a built in opto.

Okay, thanks! I'll try reading the manual how to insert it and see what I can try then, I'll keep in touch about it

You'll need to press Setup {device} and use the add definition option to add in new devices. You'll need to transfer the DDL onto a floppy disk and have the console read it from there.

Good Morning

If running a DMX cable across the stage isn’t a good look, how about running a line out of port B to 1 side of the house & C to the other

Except its not, an logo opticly isolates input from outputs as well as output to output and may also duplicate the signal to the different outs.

Good Morning

Well, we don't like the thought of seeing the wire in the house at all

I'm still having trouble even having the MX-10 recognize the dmx signal, I have the DDL loaded and selected and dimmer set to 85 (tried many) and the MX-10 address at 85 and tested it out and still no go, I have it manually hooked up to the back of the board right now to get it working. I even tried patching the dimmer address to a channel number of a 1 to 1 patch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back