Combining DMX and Power for easy connection.

gabe

Hi everyone,

I wont be implementing this for the production I currently am working on because it is too late, but I had the thought the other day and was wondering if it was possible. We have three moving set pieces that need to have four controllable channels each on them. Boat batteries and wireless DMX were prohibitively expensive. Right now we have a bundle with power and data going to each unit. Unfortunately this means that the deck electricians have to, in the dark, connect a 5 pin data cable and an edison power cable. I was wondering if it would be possible to pigtail on some kind of eight pin connector that would combine both the data and power onto one plug in order to make it easier to connect and disconnect quickly?

I'd use a Neutrik NL8. Only has one way to connect, and has 8 contacts. Great locking connection for hooking up in the dark.

Cool, those CEEP connectors look exactly like the cables that from from the smart repeaters to our VLs which I supposed serve a similar but more complex function because of the striking of the arc lamps via external ballast. Would there need to be any special consideration when choosing pins based on how dmx cable usually requires the data A and B wires to be twisted as per the RS-485 spec?

I have two issue with the Neutrik NL8 one is that it is frequently used for audio so cross plugging could be an issue. Whenever I have needed to come up with a creative plug solution I try and find a way to make it incompatible with other systems either by reversing gender or going to a different style. The other is that Neutrik says "Attention speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains connector!"

I like Anderson Powerpole PP15/45 connectors for this sort of problem. The shells are unisex and all 4 surfaces fit together like lego to make an infinite number of different arrays and configurations. It's easy to create a new combination that will not mate with some other combination you're using elsewhere. If you crazy-glue the shells together they will be permanently rock-solid. They are remarkably inexpensive. See Standard Powerpole Family.

Of course, I have to throw in a shameless plug... did you check out Rc4Magic for wireless data and power control? It's not super cheap, but would get the job done so quickly you might save the money in time.

Jim
RC4 Wireless
www.theatrewireless.com

If you do panel mounts on the set piece, I have a feeling that you could get these connections to happen just as fast as it they were one connection and you could do it for 10 dollars. If you currently have it set up where the technician has to grab both sides of the DMX line to connect it and both sides of the AC line and connect it your making it too hard on yourself. Make it so you can have a cable in both hands and you can plug into the piece at the same time. I have done this type of thing numerous times, it is the way to go.

I would also try to stay away from any type of socapex style pin connector. Those things are hard enough to get together in the light, let alone the dark.

If you do want to go to one connector, you might be better of going out and buying the batteries and the inverter. It might cost a bit more, but its going to reduce the headaches down the line.

Since you mention batteries and an inverter, if you run LOW VOLTAGE via the cable then you COULD use NL8's. problem of course is if you are using any other NL8 you could wind up with something that you don't want connected to this.

Sharyn

I like Anderson Powerpole PP15/45 connectors for this sort of problem. The shells are unisex and all 4 surfaces fit together like lego to make an infinite number of different arrays and configurations.
You could use the AMP/Tyco version of the same thing. I'm not sure if they are in fact the same product, but I can get the AMP hermaphroditic connectors more easily than the Anderson Powerpole.
53894-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Rectangular Power Connectors
On a partially related thought, can you use this sort of connector for a lighting multicable instead of socapex?

I would always be wary of having data and mains on the same plug, especially if you make it yourself (as most people would). I've seen issues that, had they not been found, could have been life threatening.

Give 'em a torch!

I would always be wary of having data and mains on the same plug, especially if you make it yourself (as most people would). I've seen issues that, had they not been found, could have been life threatening.

Give 'em a torch!

Yes that was my main concern, more so than the type of connector. However it is possible, VariLite does it with their mult cable going into our VL-6s.

You need to be careful of codified requirements for separation of services, for instance there is Cat5 that is approved for use inside electrical distribution boards for CBus. Part of that approval is a 3750V insulation rating... Ultimately these requirements don't mind so much if gear blows up rather that you don't energise say the DMX line in this case which may then pose a hazard to people working on that...

You might look at Harting Push-Pull Power connectors. They're rated up to 600V, power and data, waterproof, quick & easy to mate. I'm looking at them for an exterior lighting project, and the samples that I got from Harting look great. We use their connectors on our LN2 fog systems for distributing data & compressed air, and maybe some DC power, and they've been great. Easy to put together, durable, configurable. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back