Control/Dimming Computer Controlled Light Board/Bijou

flash1322

Hi I am a sophtmore at Seaholm High School in birmingham MI We own a Bijou Light board and really want to run it out of a computer any ideas you might have will help we want to run it out of a laptop is there some type of converter or is there an easyer way to do it.

Thanks
-Ryan Williams

Also Looking for a software and a type a laptop that you would recomend we set a $2000 Budget

Thanks
-Ryan Williams

Also Looking for a software and a type a laptop that you would recomend we set a $2000 Budget

Thanks
-Ryan Williams

Ryan, I'd ask why you want to go with a computerized system as opposed to a lighting board? If your area is a high school, a laptop is far easier to break or steal than a lighting board.

We are not worried about it being stolen the tech booth is locked or someone trustworthy is in there all the time as for it being broken only me and people who are trusted will be using it do you have any ideas of a good laptop and software to use i figure i will need to use a DMX to USB Dongle for the conversion we just need some ideas on a software i would kind of like it to be a touch screen for easy use.
Thanks
-Ryan Williams

Ryan:
For the old guys, please punctuate so we can read your questions. I know I have to read at least three times to figure where to break. You are asking good intelligent questions but it is tough to decifer.
The main remains though, why do you want to introduce a computor into the system. Is the board acting up, not controlling certain aspects of your show or do you need more universes? It is important to understand what you are trying to do to help you figure the best solution.

Well we decided to upgrade before then today the board started acting up. I am most likely wrong but the set up we want is a software on a computer then that exports via USB. Then it goes to a USB to DMX Dongle. Next that it goes into the Bijou Light Board Via DMX. After that the board goes into the Lighting system back stage Via DMX. So please correct me if that's wrong

... Next that it goes into the Bijou Light Board Via DMX. ...
I don't believe the Bijou has a DMX Input, so it would have to be disconnected entirely, or an HTP Merge Box installed to use the Bijou and computer system simultaneously, but not communicating with one another.

To answer your original question, an HP TouchSmart PC, DMX USB Pro dongle from Enttec for $151, and MagicQ software and assortment of wings from Chamsys would be a great combination, though excessive if one has no LEDs or moving lights. And a significant learning curve if coming from a Bijou.

Then again, for just over double your budget, there's the ETC Element. Chances are, the least expensive solution would be to contact Tracyu of EDI to see about getting your Bijou repaired, provided it has all the features you require.

Last edited:
How old is the Bijou? I have had to replace two power supplies last year. Fortunately the power supplies are external bricks so basically I just ordered them for my customers. The consoles began to run flakey including reboots and such.

For those technically inclined, you can open the power supply and adjust it while measuring the supply voltage in the console. I will not explain the procedure here as applying just a little too much voltage kills the CPU in about 5 minutes. Tech support at EDI will also explain the procedure but I believe they are on spring break this week (entire company), though the emergency on call number given out in the voice mail should work.

Last edited:
There was a patch problem sorry. your right there is no DMX input so would it work to control Via HHR. On the computer the idea was to make it easy to grab and go so if we need to we can take it home and program cues. i dont think we are looking to get a new light board just trying to make it a little more modern.

Sounds like you need an Offline Editor. I have heard some people say that there was no OLE for the Bijou, but then it seems like someone posted a link right after that to an OLE. I have not investigated this, but I should, since I own a Bijou.

Edit: I believe it was billn who said that. You might message him, DimmerDotCom or Tracyu as they are all experienced with EDI gear. Tracy works for EDI (Cooper Controls) as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
In this post, CB member billn stated there was an OLE for the Bijou, but did not post a link. Sounds like something that would be beneficial to flash1322 and Les.

Sounds like you need an Offline Editor. I have heard some people say that there was no OLE for the Bijou, but then it seems like someone posted a link right after that to an OLE I have not investigated this, but I should, since I own a Bijou.

Edit: I believe it was billn who said that. You might message him, DimmerDotCom or Tracyu as they are all experienced with EDI gear. Tracy works for EDI (Cooper Controls) as a matter of fact.

"A full-function application allows users to manipulate Bijou files on a Windows PCs. Along with rewriting show disks, it will save shows in .bje files. To install, simply download the setup file and follow the directions. Compatable with Bijou Version 3.13 software or greater."

Send me a PM and I'll send you the zip which is too big to upload here and I'm too lazy to upload it to the dimmer.com web site

EDIT: okay it's at the dimmer.com library page located here: http://www.dimmer.com/html/library.html

Last edited:
So an ole is basicly a program that you can program cues into.

Last edited:
ok the OLE is kind of what we wanted we want to run all the lights off a computer not the board but if need we can bring up a channel to add in some sort of light. The idea was to put it on a laptop to save space and a touchscreen would be nice. Now is there a software that is perfect for doing this, and is there another way to come into the board then DMX because there is no DMX input but there is a HHR input.

...because there is no DMX input but there is a HHR input.
I didn't know what you meant when you said HHR before, but now I get it. HHR is Hand Held Remote, what we usually refer to here as an RFU. It is used to run channels, check dimmers, and sometimes run cues, but is not (usually) useful or used for programming.

With the OLE, one can program anywhere there's a PC, and create a show disk to later load into the lighting console. (Finding a PC with a 3.5" floppy drive is becoming increasingly more difficult, however.)

Last edited:
Thanks so is there a way to do it?
Heres the deal, if you want to run your lighting system off a computer, you are going to be replacing your console with a computer. You can do it, do a search for magicQ. I have posted more things about magicQ then you can shake a stick at.

An OLE is just that, offline. You can do things on it, save to a disk, sneaker net it up to your console, and you are off to the races. It will not allow you to click a button on your laptop and get a light to come on on your console. Newer consoles allow you to do this, and most do it for free.

If you are just wanting to do this because it would be cool, I would say stay with your current console. If you are doing this because you need to do something your current console can not, then search around for MagicQ. However, MagicQ is a very different style of lighting control then your current console. It will require you to forget nearly everything you know and start over. It will also make programming your shows much more intensive. It is meant to control and run large shows with LED Walls, LED fixtures, media servers, moving lights, and conventional fixtures. It can run traditional dimmers just fine, it just adds more power then you really need.

There is no way to do both without a DMX combiner. You either need to live with what you have or put your current console in a closet and start new.

Thank You guys for all the help we have a good setup now we are planning to do this in the summer so if i have any more questions i will be sure to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back