Vara-Light/Dimatronics/Hub Electric/TTI Theatre Techniques

mmelton

We have a Vara-Light/Dimatronics/Hub Electric Co PR192 with TTI Theatre Techniques cards in it, we have lost the 12v rail on the cards (no +12v light lit on any card) so we cannot control any lighting, Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? There is 12v coming out of the computer-looking power supply. Ken is on vacation until late March and cannot help

Have you tried Grand Stage? I suspect someone from there has been in this before.

I've never seen the beast, let alone work on one, but I'll offer a suggestion. Since you have a common power supply feeding several cards, unplug all of the cards and try powering one card at a time. You might find that one card has a short. If you find a bad card, replace all of the electrolytic capacitors on it. Electrolytics are, by far, the most common failure in old electronics, especially those located near heat sinks.

Good to hear Ken Hanson is still semi-retired doing service calls but doing personal time. Good advice I think so far above. Above my experience level grade for such a repair. As with Grand Stage, where I work has a tech person that could fix it, but in both caseses very espensive to get them out to do so. Contact off line in PM if wanting me to forward to sales person and go from there. Readying up for touring season now, so loosing the primary repair tech would be expensive.

Solution perhaps is given it's 12v DC control power, can you replace that power supply or bypass it with another one in waiting for Ken? Just a 12v power supply not carrying more than a signal load could be wall wort say 100 watt over sufficient. Luctron - believe the name has become a go to source for dimmer/control replacements with a network of installers. Where I work is also one in doing so on a few installs.

As supplement, rent dimmers for the need in waiting for Ken to take some time off?

I've never seen the beast, let alone work on one, but I'll offer a suggestion. Since you have a common power supply feeding several cards, unplug all of the cards and try powering one card at a time. You might find that one card has a short. If you find a bad card, replace all of the electrolytic capacitors on it. Electrolytics are, by far, the most common failure in old electronics, especially those located near heat sinks.
That was one thing Ken didn’t suggest, thanks! It’s dimmer card #2 going to take it back to the shop now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back