Connecting Wagons

lwinters630

I am looking for a way to connect wagons together for our spring production of Les Mis. Inspired by the current running international version, we have 4'x6' stair towers, 2'x4' lower stairs, 6'x8' and various other sizes that make up the barricade. Sometimes they stair towers join to lower stair from three different sides, other times they all join to make a barricade.

The actors as well as stage crew need to quickly disconnect or reconnect them. I have searched CB but have not seen anything. I have thought of gate latches, lock latches, or some sort of square u-bolt that is secured to one and drops into a hole the other.

There is some sort of item at the in the picture of the docks, bottom middle, see red circle. Any ideas?

179268_193354520677822_6334132_n.jpg wagon tie.JPG

I used these to connect two rolling 4x8s

DE-STA-CO Latch Clamp, Horiz, 360 Lbs, 1.19 In - Vertical Handle Toggle Clamps - 3CXN9|323 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Of course you'd need one on either side of the platforms to properly index them. Make sure to crank them down pretty tight because if the platforms drift out of alignment when rolling the latch will pop loose.

Also on a side note: DONT PAINT THEM. I had a director who was adamant about them being painted to match the platform, but as all the people who use a similar device as wagon brakes know, the minute you get paint into the moving parts they get all gummy, then you inevitably have the stagehand who puts his whole weight into it and ends up bending the frame and ruining the whole thing. If its an aesthetics issue, figure out some way to mask it but for the love of God don't put paint on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back