Hex nuts, 4-40 screws, verses really old fixture design I found.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Just checked Wickipeda for the first time ever. Nope, no answer as to when the hex nut was invented. At least as far as I could find on it.

My theory, it’s a WWII development or slightly before. Very important such fasteners in dating fixtures as with the round head as opposed to pan-head slotted screws.

Bought two Brenkert “Hi-Liger” fixtures out of a resale shop today $10.00 each. Fairly bad condition and missing lots of parts. This includes the 5" lenses and reflectors which might or might not have been bought with the fixture frame. (Back than both lens and reflectors were optional on PC. fixtures. At least they cut the asbestos whips off at the frame out of their own safety. Found them in an antique shop - one of like five visited today, under a shelf and in the basement. Brenkert Light Projection Co. Detroit, Mich. USA. Wifie and I search for in general stuff, some pictures and her china pattern, I look at tools - love old monkey wrenches (even use them constantly) - especially my dad’s for Soco plug usage or big conduit connectors. Can’t beat the classic monkey wrench for quality and they don’t make them similar these days, yet a really useful tool. Even saw one with a twisted steel handle today.. This amongst molding planes and lots of such tools available yet in having one now at work and at home, I’m good for now until I start collecting them. Mostly our day trips to antiques shops involve stuff she wants to see and stuff I bypass in different interests. I normally end up first in “shopping” and waiting about yet it is fun. This basement we were last in was a bit musty for her as common as with air conditioners that have not had filters cleaned lately. Basements often one finds good stuff, but also rusting away stuff. Never can tell what one might find in an antique shop... found a Kliegl #55 (I think it is having noted it but lost the reference to it) in another antiques shop. Same price - cheap as antiques dealers have no idea about stage lighting fixtures.

So far for that company in listed in book list of sources gone thru, I can track this company to: Brenkert Light Production Company, 8348 St. Aubin Ave., Detroit, Mi. Formerly specializing in high-powered projection equipment, this firm now has a complete line of stage lighting apparatus. (Catalogue) c.1929 Listed & c.1930-1940 Listed. Than 6545 St. Antoine Ave., Detroit 2, Michigan. 1954 Listed.

So of interest about the fixtures I found was they have common to the 1916-1930's use of cast aluminum front and back plates. This and stamped and bent steel mid-plates or side plates that are very complex in getting done what needs to be done for bending or rolling the plate. Way too complex for what needs to get done. Got a similar 6" Fresnel from the 30's I think and also from Display Stage Lighting - no conformation on that only a feeling by way of hole pattern and style from them. In this case these very narrow small sized fixtures have a medium screw base with a 5" lens. That’s really unusual. Side access door as opposed to top hinged door for the 250G250SP medium screw lamp says it’s old. In actual access to the lamp, this hinged side is economy and missing parts. Hinged from the top in removable slide wire, or removable from the bottom in missing parts - possibly another slide.

No UL listing on the fixtures, one has a sticker tag on it though and is interesting but also before UL listing of the fixture. Asbestos and not - grounded, much less cord grip was a more bakalite type one in not gripping the cord persay other than a knot behind it.

Interesting for me so far is the cord grip or pass tru that’s not really Bakalite, yet also not plastic. I think it’s from Square D, and marked as KS 112. Seemingly there was something like a rubber washer on the reverse end of it so as to retain this fitting.

Also of note is the I think 4-40 round head screws which attach most of the frame to the aluminum front and rear castings. That and round head 4-40 screws with hex nuts to attach rear baffles to the rear frame. Yet the medium screw lampholder of screw on top cleat style isn’t the normal round type, it’s smaller and flattened on the sides. This lampholder has no brand on it. On the other hand, the lampholder was using pan-head screws with the asbestos wiring.

These fixtures are very complex in how they were made - even have that 1/4" science experiment reflector post behind the lampholder. Also, the side access door and how the focus was done is complex. Just bending all these separate plates to make it work is totally 1920's or before. Medium screw 250G30SP lamp as specified for the fixture is also unusual - it’s a 250w medium screw based fixture, yet the 400w lamp was easily out by than. It’s really old style side access hinged side access to the lamp and front and rear plates... Confusing as a fixture given it has them hex nuts in use and even pan-head base to the lamp of a type I have never seen before. Add to that the round head screws and I think 4-40 at that in smaller size than I think was used for fixtures during the period.

So we have this older design fixtures that I think are 1940's yet it’s style is 1920's I think. Really old design concept by way of screw based and only 250w lamp and side access instead of the more common by now front access to the lamp.

Curious and Curiouser that these fixtures were also fount in Illinois - Major territory, but antiques dealers do travel in perhaps buying some locally.

Also interesting of note is that while both fixtures are seriously bad in condition, one is black, the other a sort of WWII olive drab - the darker color for it. This is the fixture that also has the vender sticker beyond casting for brand on the aluminum front. Clearly a box spot fixture, just a question of it’s age.

Both were also wall mount I think in one still having a bracket = a bronze bracket so as to mount it to a swivel ball 1/4-20 base. Focus mechanism is from the front, mounting is bracket to a stand or more likely I think wall monted bracket. Fascinating it’s also bronze this mount in seeming really old, yet if the fixture has hex nuts = especially 4-40 hex round head screws going into them....

Have to think that this is a really old design for fixture, 1940's in making and a really old design for it. That by way of company that made it using more modern nuts at least. Interesting that they were still using bronze mounting hardware and also more modern parts to fasten it together.

Design of the fixture I think - 1920's, these fixtures I have I think 1940's in production line. That and the WWII similar to Olive Drab paint might make them say 1946 in year as if surplus paint.

Could really be valid that the black fixture I have is the original color for them and during the 40's this company found a really good deal on Army paint. That would also explain a factory sticker on one and not the other... this except that the one I took apart tonight was the black version as opposed to the very darker WWII like olive drab version and it has the above hex nuts and hardware.

Given I don’t have a catalogue for these fixtures, I don’t know if they were hinged form top or bottom yet in lamp access. Some research yet to do on them. Good find in almost not even noticing them at an antique shop lower shelf near the stairs before I was giving up in other room not finding anything of interest. Just kind of noticed them at some point - the holes to them more than anything else in catching my attention. Normally I try to look up for gear hung or at least on a shelf, in this case, they were at the bottom of a stair case and on a lower shelf of mis-gear especially old/weak cordless drills above it.

Especially in the resale shop or lesser grade of shop, one might find stage lighting fixtures worth collecting = this over those antique shops I have found so far.

These fixtures are going to take a bit of work and I will post a photo of them soon. Still though I think the above analysis is useful overall in antique shopping for fixtures. In the mean time, can’t figure out how to deal with the serious rust issues on these fixtures. That will be a project given I think it’s a Lazy company and one that went under in not advancing, thus these two are c.1948 and really old in style but that’s the date I give them. A shame in that date as the style is clearly 1916-1920's but the hex nuts and size of screw for it don’t make for that. Also follows with the above vendor description.

The following picture is totally unrelated to lighting, but maybe the subject's vintage will be of help. This is a picture of several old flood gate actuators (sluice valves) inside the gate house of an abandoned dam which was completed in 1927.

The nuts fastening the pedestals to the cement floor are square head, yet the bolts holding the equipment together appear to be hex head. All this equipment is undoubtedly original.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now, how is that for the creepiest place on earth. By the way, those shafts in the floor are extremely deep and they have water at the bottom. A new dam was built several miles downstream of this one, thus expanding the lake (now called Lake Lewisville, one of the deadliest lakes in Texas) and turning this old dam in to an island of sorts. There are still artifacts of an old roadway on the crest, but many parts are inaccessible since both ends of the dam were blown out when it was decommissioned in the 1950's. There is also a lot of thick vegetation on the dam. I reached this gate house via kayak.

Last edited:
Yep that is fascinating. Know of a1926 German Opera House where no screws were hex, they were square head and round head if not square type head screw. This is important in dating stuff and thanks.

Could be incorrect but such details you found are important perhaps in when one type of part came out - especially the hex head bolt or nut in being earlier than I thought..

Thanks, but on the other hand needing more info. This especially for these fixtures - given an old design, perhaps they were cutting edge on fasteners to them other companies were not, or were they retro. in ways other's were not? Hard question and all about the fasteners in use of question. Thanks for your help in screwing up my concept of WWII the hex config. at least.

Locates the hex nut or screw - with questions to at least 1927 now. Fascinating especially given none of my 1930's fixtures have hex nuts. Unless for instance the screw based Frsnel was invented before the early 30's, perhaps it is only a case of some companies later in doing more modern fasteners, others in sticking with what works.

Still thugh given the paint, I think them 1940's and a company that was doing them which had not changed their design for this fixture since the 20's.

Huge question of the date of these fixtures thugh. 1920's or 1940's

Last edited:
You're welcome, but sorry for creating confusion! Haha. I should note that while this dam was completed in 1927, this tower portion was completed in 1926, as reads the cement medallion on the outside of the building. There is not much other info that I could find on the place unfortunately. Only that it was started in 1925, completed in 1927, blown out in the 1950's and has been all but forgotten since that time. There is apparently a book at one of the Dallas public libraries with construction photos, blueprints, etc; but I haven't found the time to research it further. All that info probably wouldn't help you in your search anyway, but I find old structures like this fascinating.

some hex history is discussed in a 2006 Practical Machinist thread

practical machinist

one interesting post
Another question is WHY haxagonal nuts started to be used in large numbers.

Square nuts and bolts were easier to make, and more robust against abuse by ill-fitting wrenches.

Presumably when machine designs became more efficient and compact, nuts and bolts needed to be accommodated in smaller spaces. Smaller spaces also meant less room to swing the wrench through a useful angle, so the more faces the nut had, the better. Of course more faces demanded more accurately made wrenches.

Supplementary questions: When were ring wrenches (spanners to us) introduced, and when were multi-faceted broached spanners and sockets introduced?

Going back to hexagonal nuts, they’ve probably been around for hundreds of years as DryCreek pointed out, but I came across an interesting aspect in L T C Rolt’s ‘Tools for the Job’, in the context of James Nasmyth’s early days. In 1830 Nasmyth was a young assistant to Henry Maudslay at a time when Maudslay’s were building a very large engine for HMS Dee. Nasmyth helped to build a scale model (which is now in London’s Science Museum). The model needed large numbers of hexagonal nuts, many with integral circular collars. Nasmyth designed a milling attachment to go on Maudslay’s bench lathe, comprising an indexing head with a vertical arbor, mounted on the cross slide. A milling cutter or ‘circular file’ was held in the chuck.

socket wrench was patented in 1863

Last edited:
As sent to some wide photograpy types in reply for info:
Thanks for the forwarded message.

As said and with more detail, I bought two Brenkert Hi-liter fixtures out of the basement of an antique shop in Richmond Illinois. I collect old lighting fixtures and it was luck that I even noticed them. Found a few fixtures in antique shops this way. Museum so far is 67 fixtures going back to a confirmed 1916 and three or four more on the way, to the late 1980's. Just starting up the museum at a large rock and roll lighting company with many people now interested in expanding it. TBA future article in PLSN magazine. For all fixtures, they are completely researched by way of old books on stage lighting and even a 1916 Chicago Stage Lighting and 1928 Frank Adams catalogue, this in addition to the Strand and Kliegl Brother’s website with their own old catalogues and data for approximate date. So far, all but a Strand Patt #73 are now also in perfect working order, and one top hinge cover 6" Fresnel that I’m yet to get a date to. Altman Stage Lighting is still also working on dating their fixtures given I have all but their first generation TBA...

On these Brenkert fixtures, they are not the normal stage lighting fixture I have experience with and very confusing for my normal at least approximate dating purposes.

Dating them: 1930's:
These fixtures have seemingly wall mount swivel mounts as near as I can tell for mounting given one with a ball mount with threaded screw assembly below it - this as opposed to a more normal yoke mount or rosette mount bottom or side mount bracket. I have a picture of what such a bracket would look like from a 1936 Strand catalogue which dates them some, also a note about the company in the back of a copy of Fuch’s Stage lighting - 1929 noting that this brand was now getting into stage lighting equipment.

Dating them 1920's or before:
That’s one version of dating them. Next part is a cleat style hexagon shaped Pass and Seymore lampholder from them which I have never seen before - a bit smaller in footprint and normally lighting companies used the round version. Also the large cast aluminum front and back plates which went out of style in the 1930's for most American companies but were very common since the turn of the century. With this, the pull a pin to side access the lamp with top access as opposed to front or rear access to the lamp dependant on the fixture type by the 30's had mostly fallen out of practice in this period from what I can tell. Though I do have a Bantam Superspot from I think the 50's with top access, however it was designed for a more modern T-Shaped lamp with medium pre-focus base. This is a 250w screw based fixture as stamped on both of them - theoretically designed about the Mazda 250G-30SP lamp that goes back to 1916 in the #1013 Mazda Nitrogen Gas-Filled lamp for a Baby spot this is similar to the G-30 but very different in fill pinch from top instead of bottom. Side plates for both fixtures are stamped plate steel, cord grip is similar to bakelite and of course wiring wasn’t grounded.

(I have PDF copies of both the 1928 Frank Adams, and 1916 Chicago Stage Lighting catalogues on file if either of you are interested in seeing/having them - fascinating.)

Dating them to the 1940's:
They are fastened together with 4-40 round head screws (which could date them back to the 30's - as opposed to pan-head screws), but use hex nuts on the reverse end of the screw. Standard 1/4" across flats hex nuts now industry standard. Never seen an antique lighting fixture before with hex nuts dating before WWII. As pointed out though, hex nuts were around for years before WWII and the 4-40 screw perhaps given it’s round head in use perhaps not rare - only unusual to use on a stage lighting fixture. All screws are slotted of course in overall dating. Possible that this company was pro-active in a way other companies were not in being older - especially if using a smaller 4-40 screw to fasten it, but in lack of real ability to date a hex nut, for me as changed (above), it was 1940's technology in separating out eras of fixtures which mostly holds true for all fixtures I have serviced up until now.

Other info as I’m working on the first fixture:
New info as of tonight is that one fixture is black and seemingly was always black and doesn’t have a slot for mounting a lens on it. It is a floodlight fixture as per design - or given as with the very pretty Bantam Superspot with front mounting threaded holes for something to be mounted up front (I added it’s later lens in fact). The other Brenkert fixture has a decal on it’s side and is a more brown military style olive drab in color. Says WWII or older in surplus paint color. Both are similar in style except that this brown one has a groove at the front for a lens retaining ring and painted the different color. I have extra lens retaining clips and just ordered up a 5x1.75" magnifying lens as per prop lens type for it - this given it’s an antique, probably not a proper lens but something for it inexpensive given American Science and Surplus didn’t have anything useful this past weekend. In one of the above catalogues I note the 5" PC lens as common for baby spots back than.

So I have two different fixtures from that company. One black in checking during the cleaning and without groove for a lens, the other more of a brown old style olive drab in color that was made to mount a lens.

Any old catalogues you have access to or further info you can give me as to when each came to the market for dating purposes? I’ll leave the black version un-lensed in the first in inventory with such a concept and important. I have a similar fixture - a Kliegl #55 box spot with a post 1956 oval beam lens on it which isn’t origional to the fixture, much less it’s Kopp glass and not Kliegl glass lensed thus probably a bit later on a 1920's side mount rosette fixture. I’m leaving it in the fixture as the only example of a oval Fresnel lens fixture I have. Unfortunately these with mounts for them, and none of my box spots have reflectors. Only one of my PC type fixtures came with a reflector I think or none perhaps. Been a while since I have been inside the older ones. Know the similar to science class stud mountings for older fixtures - and this stud on both fixtures says early thru at least mid-1930's for them also by way of how as an option in buying the fixture, one could mount that reflector. By the 1940's I believe, reflectors were more common.

Anyway, that’s the fixtures I have and experience with similar ones I’m basing info off of. Photos can be done if of help. Any old Brenkert catalogues you have or info you can give me in dating these two fixtures is the main question? Heck, a cut sheet for all fixtures is a goal but in most cases, just dating them is enough. One I feel based on other fixtures in example must be Display Stage Lighting for brand as example of where I’m at in doing as best I can and thorough research, but at some point having to base dates and brand off experience.

Realize these lighting fixtures are not your base of experience or focus - we have totally different interests - I do have a few old cameras and projectors in collection less of interest to me - some really old and even some movies for a 1920's movie projector I also have, but in crossing over to others... thanks for any help you can give.

(Up for trade also if interested - don’t have an interest in photography - direct mail question as to what I have and what could be in exchange for adding to the museum if you have contacts for stage lighting fixtures. Lots of weird camera, projector or even film stuff not of use to me in my field I acquired. Should chat if interested. I have a large format camera amongst them I think... even beautiful pictures from it taken by me in the use of it. Nice camera but as with my Cannon Rebel c.1990's as graduation present so I could take photos of my set designs... these days I use my computer type camera for photos and have not used it for years. Ten speed bike type type of thing.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back