Connectors on clearcom headsets.

FlashBang

So I stumbled across a box of about 30 (I KNOW!) clearcom headsets (no brand name on the headsets, but look identical to my branded ones) in the back corner of a storage room.

Only thing is, they have a connector on them that I've never seen before. It looks to be a 1/4 in. diameter (could be larger), but about half the length of your typical 1/4 in. audio connector.

Anyone know what these are before I go back in next week? Can I chop off the end and wire up an XLR-4 for my current beltpacks?

If not, anyone out there currently using beltpacks that support these headsets?

If nobody knows, I'll post back in a week or two once I get a chance to remove a connector and look at the wiring.

Thanks.

Like this?
proxy.php

There are mini versions that are about 4.4 mm.

Looks like a TT connector for short frame patchbays. Smaller version of TRS connector for high density audio patchbays typically used in studio and broadcast situations. Soldered no different that your normal TRS 1/4" connector but smaller so that you can fit more of the jacks into a single rack space.

I would be a little bit careful about using random headset on your clearcom system. The impedances may be different and concurrently cause some strange issues with beltpacks.
That being said, i cant say i wouldn't try it.

Good luck!

My guess based on what I'm hearing is that it's not an audio connector persay.
I tend to think what you might have is NATO plugs.
They are the standard for headsets in helicopters...

I would be a little bit careful about using random headset on your clearcom system. The impedances may be different and concurrently cause some strange issues with beltpacks.
That being said, i cant say i wouldn't try it.

Good luck!

Eh, probably not going to stress the beltpack too much. I can't imagine the speaker impedance would be too too low at any given frequency, and the worst you'll do to the mic is make it sound funny by loading it too much. But methinks the beltpack mic input impedance probably isn't too low. So, in short, I'd go for it.

So my memory was a little fuzzy I guess..on second look the connector is MUCH smaller than a standard 1/4 in.

Some of the headsets are marked "Tandberg Educational, Total Impedance 200 Ohm"

For those of you who are interested:
"The Nexus TP120 is similar to the “NATO” 4-pole jack plug, but very slightly smaller (shaft diameter 7.1mm). Designed for aerospace intercom systems applications, they are commonly found on helicopter intercom systems. Other Nexus aerospace and military connectors available to special order." (NEXUS TP120 Jack plug)

tp120.jpg
(Image Popup)

God now I want my com set to come in a helmet that has a pull down sunglasses thing, or possibly a cowboy hat and yellow bandanna, and the little folding arm mic! I think I would probably want Flight of the Valkyries playing all the time while using my spotlight with a telrad, however, the SM might have an issue with this happening 5' away from her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back