controlling reflections

dshriver

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any advice for controlling (eliminating) reflections from items on stage? My venue is primarily a concert hall, and most of our shows are one offs. Sadly, all of my lighting positions are from the sides. I have no FoH positions and no electrics or grid. I'm constantly fighting problems with reflections from cymbals, guitars, pianos, etc on the stage. Any advice?

-d

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any advice for controlling (eliminating) reflections from items on stage? My venue is primarily a concert hall, and most of our shows are one offs. Sadly, all of my lighting positions are from the sides. I have no FoH positions and no electrics or grid. I'm constantly fighting problems with reflections from cymbals, guitars, pianos, etc on the stage. Any advice?

-d

All I can say is try to angle the light sources aimed at reflective surfaces such that the reflections land on the ceiling or walls instead of the audience members'. Most band members won't be thrilled about you putting any applications or polishes on their instruments that dull their appearance.

Another option may be to experiment around with medium diffusion gels in your lighting instruments. The less direct light there is, the less striking some of those reflections will be. There will still be reflections, but with any luck they won't be blinding.

I personally prefer to use deep colored gels in my top lights so that the reflections become part of my design.

I personally prefer to use deep colored gels in my top lights so that the reflections become part of my design.

Not sure the OP has top lights except what may be permanently recessed cans in a concert shell, if that.

I have no FoH positions and no electrics or grid.

Good spot Mike. Sorry 'D'. I guess my advice is to embrace the reflections as a form of artistry. Also, how noticeable are the reflections? Are they something that really effects your average audience member, or do they just bother you because you know they are there? If it is the former, then try some diffusion gels and soft focus any fixtures you can. If it is the latter, maybe it isn't worth your time.

Almost has to be a case-per-case basis. Back in the old TV days (think 60's) reflections were a disaster on early cameras and could cost money in burned or marked pickup tubes. The result was everything on stage had to have a mat finish. Microphones, mic stands, most all equipment had a "mat" option.
Probably not going to be successful getting a musician to "dirty" up his instrument, but you really have to look at the offending objects and deal with them if your lighting options have been exhausted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back